Umm.. Sid? Ya there??

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Umm.. Sid? Ya there??

Postby ru10tu10 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:15 am

Maybe Staal should call Ryan Malone and ask him 'how to play on Geno's wing in a contract year.'
ru10tu10
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:36 am

I think the Pens need to have Geno's mom sitting in the stands again. He was averaging over 3 points a game when she was here.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby André on Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:41 am

Paekman wrote:Didn't you hear? Everything's going to be OK! No worries at all. ALL IS WELL!!!!! Sid will still lead the league in points by the all-star break! ALL IS WELL!!!!!

Haha I liked this post. You're learning, never ok to be pessimistic even when some things stink ;)
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby booboo on Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:07 am

holeinone wrote:Where was Jordan Staal tonite or the other burning question Where is Jordan Staal this year??????

Lost, like Crosby.
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:28 am

Asking where the hell Crosby is at even strength is legit even though it's only 5 games in. He is not playing nearly as well as he can or should right now. Neither is Malkin, Staal, Satan or Fedotenko.

Yes, we got three PP goals but I think that's more an indication of how bad the Caps PKis than how good out PP was. Gogo's goal should have never happened, Satan's goal was a result deflected pass from Sykora off a defensemen and didn't Malkin's also go off a defensemen and in? Against a better team with a better goalie none of those goals happen.

There should be some concern about the level of performance now. I'll give them the Debs game as a hangover but now it's getting ridiculous blowing 2 and 3 goals leads this late in games. And going back to Sid, he got beat cleanly to lead directly to two goals, that should not be happening.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:31 am

André wrote:
Paekman wrote:Didn't you hear? Everything's going to be OK! No worries at all. ALL IS WELL!!!!! Sid will still lead the league in points by the all-star break! ALL IS WELL!!!!!

Haha I liked this post. You're learning, never ok to be pessimistic even when some things stink ;)

I think there is a difference between criticizing a player that is playing below average, and totally jumping off the bridge. Some people actually do well at criticizing what is not working, while other just want to trade every player, bring in all superstars, regardless of the cap, and fire the coach after one or two games.

Everything isn't ok right now, but it's not time to panic and do anything drastic yet.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:36 am

newarenanow wrote:Everything isn't ok right now, but it's not time to panic and do anything drastic yet.

Exactly. This team should not be this bad when you look at the roster and I think it's a matter of simply playing better and more focused. They could come out with a new attitude tomorrow night and destroy the leafs and I hope MT laid into them last night since it was the players who let the team down and not coaching.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:53 am

If they would have just played hockey in the 3rd period they would be 3-1...3-1 is a lot better then 2-2...but they didn't...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:30 am

David Booth with Sidney , try Satan with Evgeni and Sykora , staal 3rd line or a night on defense. :)
defense becomes wingers~ wingers become defensemen. Staal needs to have a night off in dress clothes.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:36 am

KG wrote:If they would have just played hockey in the 3rd period they would be 3-1...3-1 is a lot better then 2-2...but they didn't...

Actually they could be 4-0, they were only down 1-0 going into the 2rd in game #2, right? Granted they didn;t have the lead (or have one with 45 seconds left in the 2nd) but by not showing up they fell behind by 2.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:20 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:I think the Pens need to have Geno's mom sitting in the stands again. He was averaging over 3 points a game when she was here.

He had 3 points last night did he not?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bathgate on Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:02 pm

After Sid's first 2 seasons, we thought he would become the next Gretzky or Lemieux. Now it appears he's just going to be an Adam Oats or Marc Savard.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:37 pm

hahaha
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:53 pm

Bathgate wrote:After Sid's first 2 seasons, we thought he would become the next Gretzky or Lemieux. Now it appears he's just going to be an Adam Oats or Marc Savard.

:lol:

I'll remember you at the beginning of Advent and we'll check the stats.

AO~ no points last night...sure they won last night but he contributes only to a sideshow.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:04 am

This is a time where I think Sid would benefit to have a little more outward passion like AO has. Sid is so reserved that when he isn't dominant, it almost looks like he isn't really trying. You know he is though.

When the Caps start slumping in a period like the Pens were, usually AO will take control of even just one play and skate it up ice through the defense or lay a hit on someone to spark some passion with the team.

I love Sid, but it'd be nice to see him get a little angrier when the team plays like they did. I have no idea what goes on behind the closed doors of the locker room, but when your leader makes it look like no big deal based on how he handles himself after a game like last night (even though he may be fuming inside), the team feeds off of that "it's ok" vibe.

Not a huge deal, and I'm not bashing Sid, but just a small observation that I would like to see in the future.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby indian on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:50 am

I don't think so. Sid just needs to forget about all this C**p about bad wingers, being the next one, face of nhl etc. and start enjoying the game. His natural ability will take over once he blocks every thing out and is relaxed. The only problem is he is trying to do too much. He needs to keep it simple till Satan (demoted to third line) can get a handle on Sid's play making and learn the positions he needs to be in.
indian
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:02 am

Bathgate wrote:After Sid's first 2 seasons, we thought he would become the next Gretzky or Lemieux. Now it appears he's just going to be an Adam Oats or Marc Savard.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/app?component=co ... ice=direct

Heck~ I didn't even have to wait till December~ Evgeni in the lead with Sidney breathing down his neck.
Exciting...hope you saw his six shots last night.
:) Savard just had his team lose to the leafs.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:07 am

Adam Oats?!?! ADAM OATS?!?!?!?!
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bathgate on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:05 pm

Sid's arrival probably saved the franchise. He's the main reason every home game is sold out. He helped guide them to the Finals last year. It's hard to complain, but look at his goal scoring in his first 3 seasons (39, 36, and a projected 37 for last year had he played 82 games). Combine that with a slow start in goals this season and you have to conclude he is not improving in that area. He's probably going to have to increase it to 45-55 goals per season if he wants to go down as one of the greatest players of all time.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:08 pm

Bathgate wrote:Sid's arrival probably saved the franchise. He's the main reason every home game is sold out. He helped guide them to the Finals last year. It's hard to complain, but look at his goal scoring in his first 3 seasons (39, 36, and a projected 37 for last year had he played 82 games). Combine that with a slow start in goals this season and you have to conclude he is not improving in that area. He's probably going to have to increase it to 45-55 goals per season if he wants to go down as one of the greatest players of all time.

Nah. He's a bum. Trade him.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jesse on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:33 pm

Are you kidding me? He'll already go down as one of the best of all time as the youngest player to ever reach 100 pts. - a scoring title his second year, and the youngest captain in NHL history. That's just the FIRST chapter.

You failed to mention his honest and conscious efforts to fire the puck in high traffic areas this year. Last night, Steigy said Sid pushed a scoring chance wide, but it was actually blockered away on a nice save by Leighton. That's a play that Sid would have bypassed for a pass years ago. Not any more.

And I really don't care whether or not the hockey world canonizes him as one of the greatest ever. I appreciate watching him every night and I would never compare him to Adam freaking Oates.

Sidney Crosby is one of the best in the game and he represents our team. Start treating him as such. Why don't you enjoy the time he spends in Pittsburgh? In 2003, I longed for the days when I was younger and Mario was playing every night. It's a treat to enjoy that type of hockey, not a guarantee.

I'd be less worried about canonizing Sid as the second coming and more intent on enjoying the stellar moments he produces on the ice. Before you know it, you'll be sitting around saying, "Man, wish that Crosby was still around..".

It works this way every year. Even people that are seasoned hockey fans live and die game by game instead of realizing this is an 82 game marathon. If you're looking for a sport where every game counts as life or death, switch to college football.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:53 pm

A FOF (full of fail) forum needs to be created for threads like this.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:38 pm

Yeah, youngest player ever to get the Art Ross, youngest player since Gretzky to get the Hart, and this week, if I'm not mistaken, Sidney has also been the fastest among active players to get to 300 points by number of games at 219. During the playoffs he tied for Zetterberg for the scoring title -- the youngest playoff scoring leader in modern hockey. (Funny, even then, there was a lot of grumbling from fans about his performance in the playoffs.)

At 21, I don't think there is any argument about whether or not he's on pace to be one of the greatest of all time. I think a lot of people's B.S. is backlash from the NHL pimping the heck out of him as their poster boy. If people look past all the ads and look at what he's done so far, though, he's shaping up to be the real deal.

Either way though, while it's an easy thing to want to analyze where he is and what kind of expectations he might be meeting ...............like Jesse said we should enjoy and appreciate his kind of talent that we have because some day we will miss seeing it.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby westside on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:33 pm

Steve wrote:A FOF (full of fail) forum needs to be created for threads like this.

HAHAHAAH

To think people here can be so critical of players that have done so much just because they have a few AVERAGE games. I mean people were freaking out and we were never below .500. Imagine if, god forbid, we lose 3 in a row. This site could actually implode!
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:46 pm

I will say, ever since Sid came into the league people have saying that he was sooner or later going to turn into a big-time goal scorer to go along with his elite passing ability. And him banking 39 goals in his rookie season certainly didn't dissuade anyone.

Then his goals went down in his second year. And last year, even before the injury, he was struggling mightily to score goals. With his incredible ability he would create several outstanding chances for himself just about every game, and you have never seen anyone miss more great opportunities than Sid, if for no other reason than you rarely saw anyone even get so many great opportunities.

This year, his struggles to finish have continued. People keep saying that Sid could score a lot more goals if he wanted to, all he has to do is shoot more. I don't believe that, I think a lot of times he passes because he doesn't have a ton of confidence in his shot. And the truth is, he doesn't possess that great of a shot. I believe he'll consistently be a 30 goal guy with a ton of assists
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins