Umm.. Sid? Ya there??

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Umm.. Sid? Ya there??

Postby westside on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:58 pm

This thread just makes my head hurt...
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,228
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:13 am
Location: South City, CA

Re: Umm.. Sid? Ya there??

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:58 pm

Yeah, I'm giving up on it.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,417
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: Umm.. Sid? Ya there??

Postby penny lane on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:16 pm

FOF ~ I'll remember & try to use wisely.

to Bathgate~ AO with 2 goals and 2 assists...Sidney even has him beat with 10 penalty mins. :wink:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,470
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Summer sunshine heals!

Re: Umm.. Sid? Ya there??

Postby Daniel87 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:21 pm

Pens15 wrote:I will say, ever since Sid came into the league people have saying that he was sooner or later going to turn into a big-time goal scorer to go along with his elite passing ability. And him banking 39 goals in his rookie season certainly didn't dissuade anyone.

Then his goals went down in his second year. And last year, even before the injury, he was struggling mightily to score goals. With his incredible ability he would create several outstanding chances for himself just about every game, and you have never seen anyone miss more great opportunities than Sid, if for no other reason than you rarely saw anyone even get so many great opportunities.

This year, his struggles to finish have continued. People keep saying that Sid could score a lot more goals if he wanted to, all he has to do is shoot more. I don't believe that, I think a lot of times he passes because he doesn't have a ton of confidence in his shot. And the truth is, he doesn't possess that great of a shot. I believe he'll consistently be a 30 goal guy with a ton of assists


This is Sidney Crosby. If he's not confident in an aspect of the game, he practices, and practices, and practices. I don't think it has anything to do with his confidence as a shooter. He's more confident in his passing ability then shooting ability, but he doesn't doubt his ability to score. He said at the beginning of the season that one of his goals this year was to shoot more. The goals will come.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,077
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:06 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Umm.. Sid? Ya there??

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:28 pm

Now I know -- when people compare Sid the Kid to this "AO" guy -- they're really talking about Adam Oates.

(Not Oats.) *twitch*
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,417
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: Umm.. Sid? Ya there??

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:37 pm

Crosby's had seasons of 39, 36, and 37 (on pace) goals. At 21, why would you think he's plateaued as a 30 goal scorer? Crosby is still several years away from his prime. I'll be very, very, very surprised if he never has a 50 goal season. He's got too much talent, vision, smarts, and work ethic not to do it.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: Umm.. Sid? Ya there??

Postby Daniel87 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:29 pm

tombarrassorules wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:
Pens15 wrote:I will say, ever since Sid came into the league people have saying that he was sooner or later going to turn into a big-time goal scorer to go along with his elite passing ability. And him banking 39 goals in his rookie season certainly didn't dissuade anyone.

Then his goals went down in his second year. And last year, even before the injury, he was struggling mightily to score goals. With his incredible ability he would create several outstanding chances for himself just about every game, and you have never seen anyone miss more great opportunities than Sid, if for no other reason than you rarely saw anyone even get so many great opportunities.

This year, his struggles to finish have continued. People keep saying that Sid could score a lot more goals if he wanted to, all he has to do is shoot more. I don't believe that, I think a lot of times he passes because he doesn't have a ton of confidence in his shot. And the truth is, he doesn't possess that great of a shot. I believe he'll consistently be a 30 goal guy with a ton of assists


This is Sidney Crosby. If he's not confident in an aspect of the game, he practices, and practices, and practices. I don't think it has anything to do with his confidence as a shooter. He's more confident in his passing ability then shooting ability, but he doesn't doubt his ability to score. He said at the beginning of the season that one of his goals this year was to shoot more. The goals will come.



i dont know if i ever buy the whole practice and work hard thing for professional athletes, sure to get there they do that but once you're there...i dont know. i mean, once you're at Crosby's level or AO's level, or heck just playing in the NHL on an everyday basis, whats the point? you've probably plateaued in terms of talent. you're making a ton of dough doing something that comes fairly naturally to you and you most likely enjoy it. not too many players get better at the end of their careers.

sure you go into the weight room, lift some lead, then go out and skate a little in practice, work on some one timers and then you're done. but i dont think any professional athlete is out in their driveway or garage shooting 500 pucks with their car headlights lighting up a garbage can used for a goal like some mighty ducks motivational montage.

call me skeptical or just plain stupid (bound to be quoted) but i think santonio holmes just gave us a little reminder that once you're in as a pro athlete, you're in. most guys are more concerned about winning the championship, whatever sport it may be, which takes a team. the only time guys really boost their personal numbers, creating an outlyer to their average, is in contract years, not mentioning anyone named malone.

so looking at it, 39,36,37 (pace)...crosby will probably break 40 a few times, but id be super surprised if he broke 50. not really a knock on him, but most players find a nitsch and fill it. he'll always be a pass first guy who racks up insane assists numbers. just like AO will always be the goal scorer. the guy doesnt have the same vision as sid, who doesnt have the same shot as ovie. i just think its really hard on a professional level to make yourself that much better whether you're 21, 26, or 37. i mean a lot of 3rd and 4th liners can work hard and never sniff 30.


Sidney Crosby and Santonio Holmes shouldn't even be compared in the same paragraph. Crosby is one of the hardest workers in the NHL. He's constantly trying to improve all aspects of his game. He was horrible at faceoffs in the past, and has worked on them and improved greatly. A few years ago he was unhappy with his shooting, and went to the rink alone I believe and did shoot 500 shots at the net. He got a hat trick the next game. Have you ever listened to one of his interviews? He's always saying how he wants to get better. Do you think he's lying?

Lemieux went from getting 40-50 goals his first 3 years to 70 and 85 in his 4th and 5th. Not all hockey players are complete slackers in their free time like other athletes are.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,077
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:06 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Umm.. Sid? Ya there??

Postby Daniel87 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:33 pm

tombarrassorules wrote:man he should shoot 500 shots before every game.


whats the point? you've probably plateaued in terms of talent. you're making a ton of dough doing something that comes fairly naturally to you and you most likely enjoy it.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,077
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:06 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Umm.. Sid? Ya there??

Postby penny lane on Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:55 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:Now I know -- when people compare Sid the Kid to this "AO" guy -- they're really talking about Adam Oates.

(Not Oats.) *twitch*


:P :lol: thanks for the giggle!

To be fair, adam oates did help mr. brett hull get all those st louis blue goals.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,470
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Summer sunshine heals!

Re: Umm.. Sid? Ya there??

Postby brwi on Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:09 pm

Daniel87 wrote:Lemieux went from getting 40-50 goals his first 3 years to 70 and 85 in his 4th and 5th. Not all hockey players are complete slackers in their free time like other athletes are.


I don't know if 66 is a good example of a non-slacker his first 5 years and more of his career :D A guy who smoked a pack a day and barely did any conditioning or strength training isn't the best example. He improved because of experience and his tremendous natural skills adapted to the NHL, not so much from working his azz off in the off-season.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,124
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: Umm.. Sid? Ya there??

Postby André on Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:11 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Crosby's had seasons of 39, 36, and 37 (on pace) goals. At 21, why would you think he's plateaued as a 30 goal scorer? Crosby is still several years away from his prime. I'll be very, very, very surprised if he never has a 50 goal season. He's got too much talent, vision, smarts, and work ethic not to do it.


Great post but I wonder about any further, big time developments. Yeah he's young but it's hard to become much better when you're already at an elite level. The best I've seen from Sid is still from 06/07. That said I'm sure he'll score 40 several seasons.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,286
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lemieuxReturns, Scate and 11 guests

e-mail