Ovechkin changed the game tonight

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Ovechkin changed the game tonight

Postby Old Time Hockey on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:16 pm

Ovechkin single handedly changed the complexion of the game tonight by continuing to take runs at Malkin. He knew that nobody was going to do anything to him, so he kept doing it and doing it until it took a toll in the 3rd period. If Ryan Malone or Gary Roberts was still here, that would have never happened, but because we have Satan and Staal who play like girls, nothing was done which in the end cost us the game. That is pathetic they could not even get a point out of this after leading 3-0. Of course, they decided to play more defensively in the 3rd period which cost them as well. There should be no excuses and I think MT needs to make some line changes because our even strength lines are not working. Can someone answer me this question as well? Why do Satan, Staal, Fedotenko, and Letang all suck?
Old Time Hockey
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Ovechkin changed the game tonight

Postby bill from turtle creek on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:18 pm

Had Cooke been in the lineup, it would have been his job to settle Ovechkin down. They couldn't put Bissonette or Godard out there against him, though, and after those three there is nobody else. Had Cooke been dressed, though, he could have run a few of their guys in retaliation and that would have ended it.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:20 pm

Hm. To sum things up.

Scuderi owned ovechkin all night. SCUDERI.

Ovechkin was doing most of his shenanigans in the 1st and 2nd periods, remember?? When the Pens were still dominating.

When the caps were turning the corner in the 3rd, Ovechkin was nowhere to be found. Pretty poor game from him all around.

If anything, his obsession with Malkin probably threw him off his own game. Hasn't anybody else considered this? The man did nothing offensively because of this.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Old Time Hockey on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:21 pm

He was consistent on taking Malkin off of his game and he fired up his teammates every time he took a run at Malkin plain and simple.
Old Time Hockey
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dave's_a_Killer on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:22 pm

Old Time Hockey wrote:He was consistent on taking Malkin off of his game and he fired up his teammates every time he took a run at Malkin plain and simple.

Malkin wasn't taken off his game. Pens thought they had this game won and quit. They lost their momentum.
Last edited by Dave's_a_Killer on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:23 pm

No. Like I said. All that stuff he was doing occured in the 1st half of the game. The Caps were average AT BEST during that time of play.
He took himself out of the game obsessing over Malkin.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby beerman on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:24 pm

To bad Bizz couldn't have beat the tar out of Ovechkin instead
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dman66 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:24 pm

Old Time Hockey wrote:Ovechkin single handedly changed the complexion of the game tonight by continuing to take runs at Malkin. He knew that nobody was going to do anything to him, so he kept doing it and doing it until it took a toll in the 3rd period. If Ryan Malone or Gary Roberts was still here, that would have never happened, but because we have Satan and Staal who play like girls, nothing was done which in the end cost us the game. That is pathetic they could not even get a point out of this after leading 3-0. Of course, they decided to play more defensively in the 3rd period which cost them as well. There should be no excuses and I think MT needs to make some line changes because our even strength lines are not working. Can someone answer me this question as well? Why do Satan, Staal, Fedotenko, and Letang all suck?

i dont know what game you were watching, but ao did absolutely nothing. and remember, this team last year gave up 2 goal leads multiple times last year. it happens
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby clover11 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:24 pm

So Bissonette and Gorard aren't enough toughness for you? Ovie took many runs at Malkin last year without response from the team. Malkin is the one that needs to respond, to hit back.
clover11

Postby scals37 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:28 pm

dman66 wrote:
Old Time Hockey wrote:Ovechkin single handedly changed the complexion of the game tonight by continuing to take runs at Malkin. He knew that nobody was going to do anything to him, so he kept doing it and doing it until it took a toll in the 3rd period. If Ryan Malone or Gary Roberts was still here, that would have never happened, but because we have Satan and Staal who play like girls, nothing was done which in the end cost us the game. That is pathetic they could not even get a point out of this after leading 3-0. Of course, they decided to play more defensively in the 3rd period which cost them as well. There should be no excuses and I think MT needs to make some line changes because our even strength lines are not working. Can someone answer me this question as well? Why do Satan, Staal, Fedotenko, and Letang all suck?

i dont know what game you were watching, but ao did absolutely nothing. and remember, this team last year gave up 2 goal leads multiple times last year. it happens

regardless... SOMEONE needs to show that players regardless of who in gods name they are, can NOT take advantage of our players

someone needed to step up, to anyone even... this game was full of sparks and unfortunately the caps had all of them in the 2nd and third
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:29 pm

Yeah. ovechkin was doing this same stuff last season for a couple games too. Only difference was that the Pens won, so people weren't complaining.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dave's_a_Killer on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:29 pm

clover11 wrote:So Bissonette and Gorard aren't enough toughness for you? Ovie took many runs at Malkin last year without response from the team. Malkin is the one that needs to respond, to hit back.

No some people magically made up the the notion that Malone and Robert beat the crap out of Ovie last year. If i remember correctly Malkin dished it out to Ovie last year. He can hold his own.
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby dagny on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:30 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Yeah. ovechkin was doing this same stuff last season for a couple games too. Only difference was that the Pens won, so people weren't complaining.

Also, Malkin generally schooled OV in those games. Tonight, not so much.
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:31 pm

Every time Ovenchicken ran at Malkin he took himself out of the play. He's immature eurotrash. It's really interesting to see how him and Crosby have progressed. Crosby grew up. Ovenchicken didn't. And to all of his fan boys out there, you know this is true.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:33 pm

dagny wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:Yeah. ovechkin was doing this same stuff last season for a couple games too. Only difference was that the Pens won, so people weren't complaining.

In those games, Geno also showed up on the scoreboard. He did the same tonight. I don't see the difference.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dagny on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:37 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
dagny wrote:

In those games, Geno also showed up on the scoreboard. He did the same tonight. I don't see the difference.

I meant schooled, physically in addition to the scoreboard. Geno made OV look like a fool every time OV ran him in those games, tonight, not so much. :wink:
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:38 pm

Well regardless, even strenth, both ovechkin and malkin looked pretty bad.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The U on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:41 pm

One "message sending hit" to AO from Kennedy, Talbot, Orpik, Godard, Biz, Cooke, etc....and the bs from AO ends. Until somebody takes a run at AO there are no consequences and it's like he has a blank check to do whatever the heck he wants out there. Hey, if you're AO it must be a great feeling. Take runs at guys, elbows, leave your feet to hit....all with ZERO response from the other team. That's like taking candy from a baby. His team won and he was the most physically dominating player on the ice (besides Biz).
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:42 pm

The U wrote:One "message sending hit" to AO from Kennedy, Talbot, Orpik, Godard, Biz, Cooke, etc....and the bs from AO ends. Until somebody takes a run at AO there are no consequences and it's like he has a blank check to do whatever the heck he wants out there. Hey, if you're AO it must be a great feeling. Take runs at guys, elbows, leave your feet to hit....all with ZERO response from the other team. That's like taking candy from a baby. His team won and he was the most physically dominating player on the ice (besides Biz).

His team won, but honestly he took himself out of the play alot tonight especially trying to run Malkin. He wasn't a force, he was careless and hurt his team more than he helped them overall.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The U on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:46 pm

skullman80 wrote:
The U wrote:One "message sending hit" to AO from Kennedy, Talbot, Orpik, Godard, Biz, Cooke, etc....and the bs from AO ends. Until somebody takes a run at AO there are no consequences and it's like he has a blank check to do whatever the heck he wants out there. Hey, if you're AO it must be a great feeling. Take runs at guys, elbows, leave your feet to hit....all with ZERO response from the other team. That's like taking candy from a baby. His team won and he was the most physically dominating player on the ice (besides Biz).

His team won, but honestly he took himself out of the play alot tonight especially trying to run Malkin. He wasn't a force, he was careless and hurt his team more than he helped them overall.

Don't pretend that he had a bad game though. He had an average game, he hit the post once I believe and he physically intimidated our entire roster. He had an "average game" and his team still scored 4 ES goals on us and dominated us for 20 min straight, and most importantly, WON the game.

I hate AO (and i live in D.C.) but people saying he had no impact on the game and did nothing, are just crapping on him just because he's Ovechkin. He didn't win the game for them but he had an impact and he's been taking runs at Malkin for 2 years now with no response.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:46 pm

skullman80 wrote:

Thank you.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby demangone on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:46 pm

He took a shot at Crosby at the buzzer as well. There were a lot of times that he removed himself from the play to take a run at Malkin, we just didn't score on those opportunities. Otherwise when AO wasn't standing at the blue line waiting to cherry pick, Scuderi was taking care of him. Scuds looks like a much improved player this year.
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The U on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:48 pm

I didn't see Malkin flying through the neutral zone tonight like he usually does...
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:48 pm

The U wrote:
skullman80 wrote:

Don't pretend that he had a bad game though. He had an average game, he hit the post once I believe and he physically intimidated our entire roster. He had an "average game" and his team still scored 4 ES goals on us and dominated us for 20 min straight, and most importantly, WON the game.

I hate AO (and i live in D.C.) but people saying he had no impact on the game and did nothing, are just crapping on him just because he's Ovechkin. He didn't win the game for them but he had an impact and he's been taking runs at Malkin for 2 years now with no response.

Exactly and it may continue that way. This team won't change over night even if we beat Toronto on Sat so what? the game after that the same thing will happen again. Let's get a one goal lead and sit on it...
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The U on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:51 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:
clover11 wrote:So Bissonette and Gorard aren't enough toughness for you? Ovie took many runs at Malkin last year without response from the team. Malkin is the one that needs to respond, to hit back.

Thank you! I never understood this Crosby or Malkin got hit, so send Biz or Godard out.. No, those two are also hockey players (Sid and Geno), go take care of business your self. All stars dropped there gloves a few times over the years, even Jagr dropped them with Doug Evans of Winnipeg and Primeau in Carolina. These two will need too also.

Malkin would have done alot for himself and the team if he stood up to AO tonight. He didn't.

I'd agree that Malkin needs to take care of this if he want AO off his back. If I'm MT I also talk to the officials about AO charging, elbowing, and leaving his feet on every. single. hit.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins