Old Time Hockey wrote:Ovechkin single handedly changed the complexion of the game tonight by continuing to take runs at Malkin. He knew that nobody was going to do anything to him, so he kept doing it and doing it until it took a toll in the 3rd period. If Ryan Malone or Gary Roberts was still here, that would have never happened, but because we have Satan and Staal who play like girls, nothing was done which in the end cost us the game. That is pathetic they could not even get a point out of this after leading 3-0. Of course, they decided to play more defensively in the 3rd period which cost them as well. There should be no excuses and I think MT needs to make some line changes because our even strength lines are not working. Can someone answer me this question as well? Why do Satan, Staal, Fedotenko, and Letang all suck?
I'm sorry but it's really difficult not to be critical of posts like this.
um yeah Malone was such a physical presence... LOL... Ovechkin would have been so worried...
Staal is actually taking over for Malone quite well... one word, lazy.
If he doesnt shape up he will be the first guy traded this season, before his stock completely plummets.
Satan, wasnt brought here to finish his checks, he was brought to finish, period. He hasn't looked bad at all in my opinion.
Letang, has had to pick up the slack for a missing Whitney and Gonchar. He has played better than his expectations and years.
Fedotenko is another story. He is starting to look like another LeClair signing. But it's still early... I'll give him a few more weeks.
What happened in the third period was unacceptable. MT should be pissed. The entire team looked like they couldn't wait to get home to watch Letterman...
It's becoming quite clear that:
1. This team lacks the veteran character leadership that it once had during stretches of last season.
2. A few of our defensemen have trouble moving the puck out of our zone. Losing Gonchar and Whitney will do that to any team. But Letang and Goli are solid and too young to get down on.
3. We still lack a solid two-way winger for Sid. Hossa was a perfect fit.
4. Staal is not a play making winger. He needs to center the third line. End of story.
5. Fedotenko should be playing with Malkin and Sykora.
6. Zigomanis was a great pick up. His faceoff skills will be key during the playoffs.
and finally... there is plenty of talent on this team. Its just not executing or possibly being used properly.