Ovechkin changed the game tonight

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Ovechkin changed the game tonight

Postby The U on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:55 pm

Thank you! I never understood this Crosby or Malkin got hit, so send Biz or Godard out.. No, those two are also hockey players (Sid and Geno), go take care of business your self. All stars dropped there gloves a few times over the years, even Jagr dropped them with Doug Evans of Winnipeg and Primeau in Carolina. These two will need too also.

Malkin would have done alot for himself and the team if he stood up to AO tonight. He didn't.[/quote]

I'd agree that Malkin needs to take care of this if he want AO off his back. If I'm MT I also talk to the officials about AO charging, elbowing, and leaving his feet on every. single. hit.[/quote]

Don't start the crying...[/quote]

I watch a lot of Caps games....he leaves his feet on every hit. Post game show was talking about the same thing. He gets away with that and with charging because he's not a Ruutu or Orpik. Being a star, you can get away with more.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dman66 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:56 pm

im sorry, ao was a non factor in this game. he had no points. he wasn't a force til the third. and the only way any one would take a run at him would be if we were up in the game late by a comfortable margin. one day, he'll get his. don't worry. live by the sword, die by the sword
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dave's_a_Killer on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:57 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:
clover11 wrote:So Bissonette and Gorard aren't enough toughness for you? Ovie took many runs at Malkin last year without response from the team. Malkin is the one that needs to respond, to hit back.

Thank you! I never understood this Crosby or Malkin got hit, so send Biz or Godard out.. No, those two are also hockey players (Sid and Geno), go take care of business your self. All stars dropped there gloves a few times over the years, even Jagr dropped them with Doug Evans of Winnipeg and Primeau in Carolina. These two will need too also.

Malkin would have done alot for himself and the team if he stood up to AO tonight. He didn't.

If Bissonette or Godard hit Ovechkin they are the only ones going to the box it's as simple as that. If anybody is going to hit him you are going to have to hope to see star on star action.
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby dagny on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:00 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:
clover11 wrote:So Bissonette and Gorard aren't enough toughness for you? Ovie took many runs at Malkin last year without response from the team. Malkin is the one that needs to respond, to hit back.

Malkin would have done alot for himself and the team if he stood up to AO tonight. He didn't.

Didn't Sid draw blood when he dropped 'em with Andy Ference?
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sabres_Fan on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:02 pm

You cant expect Godard to start wailing away on OV. All that accomplishes is a 2 minute instigator 5 minute major and a 10 minute major game misconduct and then that 7 minute PP results in 2 pp goals and then this board wants to waive Godard for being so stupid and costing the Pens the game.
Sabres_Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Pittsburgh, pa (via Buffalo in a little town known as Pominville)

Postby dman66 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:04 pm

Sabres_Fan wrote:You cant expect Godard to start wailing away on OV. All that accomplishes is a 2 minute instigator 5 minute major and a 10 minute major game misconduct and then that 7 minute PP results in 2 pp goals and then this board wants to waive Godard for being so stupid and costing the Pens the game.

hahaha. that is so true. however, if the pens kept the 2 goal lead, last minute of the game, i send godard and biz nasty out there with the sole objective of beating the hell out of ao. like i said, ao will get his one day. maybe it won't be the pens, but downie, or jansen, or someones gonna run him and hurt him bad
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sabres_Fan on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:07 pm

dagny wrote:
Karl_Racki wrote:

Didn't Sid draw blood when he dropped 'em with Andy Ference?

Ference gets beat up by everyone though lol. Jochen Hecht (first NHL fight, awesome haymaker KO punch at the end)) did pretty good against him and I believe Mad Max Afino (prob 2nd NHL fight) got him pretty good too. Ference tends to pick fights with non-fighters all of the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWmnK3z95sk
Sabres_Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dagny on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:11 pm

So Bissonette and Gorard aren't enough toughness for you? Ovie took many runs at Malkin last year without response from the team. Malkin is the one that needs to respond, to hit back.[/quote]

Malkin would have done alot for himself and the team if he stood up to AO tonight. He didn't.[/quote]

Didn't Sid draw blood when he dropped 'em with Andy Ference?[/quote]

Ference gets beat up by everyone though lol. Jochen Hecht (first NHL fight, awesome haymaker KO punch at the end)) did pretty good against him and I believe Mad Max Afino (prob 2nd NHL fight) got him pretty good too. Ference tends to pick fights with non-fighters all of the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWmnK3z95sk[/quote]

My point was more about Sid actually having dropped the gloves already. :wink:
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Samsdog on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:14 pm

The U wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
The U wrote:One "message sending hit" to AO from Kennedy, Talbot, Orpik, Godard, Biz, Cooke, etc....and the bs from AO ends. Until somebody takes a run at AO there are no consequences and it's like he has a blank check to do whatever the heck he wants out there. Hey, if you're AO it must be a great feeling. Take runs at guys, elbows, leave your feet to hit....all with ZERO response from the other team. That's like taking candy from a baby. His team won and he was the most physically dominating player on the ice (besides Biz).

His team won, but honestly he took himself out of the play alot tonight especially trying to run Malkin. He wasn't a force, he was careless and hurt his team more than he helped them overall.

Don't pretend that he had a bad game though. He had an average game, he hit the post once I believe and he physically intimidated our entire roster. He had an "average game" and his team still scored 4 ES goals on us and dominated us for 20 min straight, and most importantly, WON the game.

I hate AO (and i live in D.C.) but people saying he had no impact on the game and did nothing, are just crapping on him just because he's Ovechkin. He didn't win the game for them but he had an impact and he's been taking runs at Malkin for 2 years now with no response.

I definitely agree that he was average and not terrible, but you can't ignore the fact that he took himself out of the play by taking runs at Malkin- he played like a kid with a grudge, when Malkin wasn't on the ice he was himself but if Malkin was on the ice then Ovechkin went out of his way and out of position to try to make a hit on him.

To other quotes, enforcers like Biz and Godard are meant to protect superstars from goons like Avery and Ryan Hollweg who take runs at the stars just to make a name or intend to injure. This isn't a case of a goon trying to hurt Malkin just for the sake of injuring him, this is a case of a guy gunning for his rival. Malkin needs to defend himself from that, not Biz. It looked to me like Geno was gonna drop the gloves on Ovie, and that's what it's going to take to stop that thing. Stars can defend themselves from stars, and Biz trying to get in the way of that is just going to rile up opposing enforcers, and, from a cynical view, draw negative attention and undeserved penalties from refs who are prejudiced against tough guys in favor of the stars.

The Pens lost this game because they saw the two goal lead and quit playing. Period. To me, that's been their Achilles heel for the last few seasons; they take periods off when they think they have a game in hand. That said, it's still a strong team and they'll bounce back next game and make a match out of it.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sabres_Fan on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:20 pm

OV is arguably the NHL's 1b star. This isnt Ruutu, Neil or Tucker hitting Malkin its OV. This is like saying Lemieux should get jumped because he hit Gretzky or Jagr should get beat up because he hit Yzerman.
Sabres_Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bill from turtle creek on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:25 pm

I'm telling you, the way to have dealt with it is to have a guy like Cooke run Semin and Backstrom a bunch of times. I don't mean run them from behind, but just hit them really hard, like Ovechkin was doing to Malkin. That sends the message, and Ovechkin is forced to back off. If he doesn't, those stars just get banged some more. Godard and Bissonnette are useless in these situations. Unfortunately, no Cooke tonight.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dman66 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:28 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:I'm telling you, the way to have dealt with it is to have a guy like Cooke run Semin and Backstrom a bunch of times. I don't mean run them from behind, but just hit them really hard, like Ovechkin was doing to Malkin. That sends the message, and Ovechkin is forced to back off. If he doesn't, those stars just get banged some more. Godard and Bissonnette are useless in these situations. Unfortunately, no Cooke tonight.

it will happen. just wait. some team will run one of them. ao's gonna run someone one day, and then the next shift, he won't be getting up.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:30 pm

WRONG.

Ovechkin didn't change the game tonight. The Penguins skating flatfooted and sitting back on their heels changed the game.

If they had actually skated and played the way they did in the first two periods, they win.

Ovechkin did nothing but CHERRY PICK all game. My entire section was screaming at him. More often than not, he was actually OFFSIDES because he was CHERRY PICKING so badly. He did NOTHING this game. He didn't play ONE LICK OF DEFENSE.

The Penguins lost because they stood around and watched for the duration of the third.

Ovechkin. Did. Nothing.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:32 pm

meecrofilm wrote:If anything, his obsession with Malkin probably threw him off his own game.

This.
I thought the whole game, he was so consumed with hurting Malkin that he forgot the idea of the game was to score goals. Ovechkin was a selfish, jealous punk tonight. There was nothing great about that. It is the Pens and and only the Pens that lost this game.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:33 pm

Ovechkin totally changed the game tonight. He led by example. He went out like a nut and laid the wood to the pens. It inspired his team. And the pens didn't respond...

I was shocked that nobody did anything to Ovechkin the entire game...Nobody...

It's been a while since the pens got pushed around in a game...

Tonight, the pens got pushed around. MT and Shero won't be pleased about that...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Member on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:33 pm

Jesse wrote:WRONG.

Ovechkin didn't change the game tonight. The Penguins skating flatfooted and sitting back on their heels changed the game.

If they had actually skated and played the way they did in the first two periods, they win.

Ovechkin did nothing but CHERRY PICK all game. My entire section was screaming at him. More often than not, he was actually OFFSIDES because he was CHERRY PICKING so badly. He did NOTHING this game. He didn't play ONE LICK OF DEFENSE.

The Penguins lost because they stood around and watched for the duration of the third.

Ovechkin. Did. Nothing.

AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:35 pm

Pitts wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:If anything, his obsession with Malkin probably threw him off his own game.

This.
I thought the whole game, he was so consumed with hurting Malkin that he forgot the idea of the game was to score goals. Ovechkin was a selfish, jealous punk tonight. There was nothing great about that. It is the Pens and and only the Pens that lost this game.

Except for a couple nice dekes in the high slot, AO was consistently chumpatized by Gill and Scuderi. The Pens' collective inability to make a simple outlet pass and transition up ice in the third put way, way more pressure on them than anything AO did. Nice job by the Caps taking advantage of a sorry situation.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby demangone on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:35 pm

ps. the goal that won the game should not have been scored because on the breakout, Gill took a high stick that wasn't called. If it was called, we would've been on the PP again, and could've gone 4 for 7. Malkin took out his anger on Semin, as did Gill. Semin had a much bigger impact on the game. AO reminded me of the guy in the stands wearing an AO jersey trying to get everyone angry.
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wallflower on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:36 pm

I'm going to agree with Jesse & Pitts here and leave it at that.

Pretty much everything else is just silliness.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jesse on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:37 pm

demangone wrote:ps. the goal that won the game should not have been scored because on the breakout, Gill took a high stick that wasn't called. If it was called, we would've been on the PP again, and could've gone 4 for 7. Malkin took out his anger on Semin, as did Gill. Semin had a much bigger impact on the game. AO reminded me of the guy in the stands wearing an AO jersey trying to get everyone angry.

I caught that high stick as well. Gill was facing away from both ref's and neither of them saw it.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sabres_Fan on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:37 pm

Hitting is a part of hockey!!! When Ben gets sacked 4-5 times a game so one spazzes and says Harrison needs to run to the other teams sideline and drill the other teams QB. Its part of the game.

The main reason so many people from other citys hate Crosby (besides he is really good) is the ways fans coddle him. I remember on HF boards there was a thread in the Pens section (the same night of the Ference fight) that was saying if someone fights Crosby it should be an automatic extra 2 minutes and suspension. This same madness cant be started with Malkin now. They are grown men and can handle themselves.
Sabres_Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:38 pm

KG wrote:Ovechkin totally changed the game tonight. He led by example. He went out like a nut and laid the wood to the pens.

You're wrong. The ONLY Penguin he was concerned with was his countryman Malkin. Ovechkin was intimidated and jealous of Malkin's accomplishments last season, so he seems hellbent on proving something between the two of them. His personal crusade against Malkin is what put his team behind by 3 goals to begin with since he was concerned with nothing but hurting Malkin.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Samsdog on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:39 pm

Sabres_Fan wrote:Hitting is a part of hockey!!! When Ben gets sacked 4-5 times a game so one spazzes and says Harrison needs to run to the other teams sideline and drill the other teams QB. Its part of the game.

The main reason so many people from other citys hate Crosby (besides he is really good) is the ways fans coddle him. I remember on HF boards there was a thread in the Pens section (the same night of the Ference fight) that was saying if someone fights Crosby it should be an automatic extra 2 minutes and suspension. This same madness cant be started with Malkin now. They are grown men and can handle themselves.

Bingo.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:40 pm

Jesse wrote:
demangone wrote:ps. the goal that won the game should not have been scored because on the breakout, Gill took a high stick that wasn't called. If it was called, we would've been on the PP again, and could've gone 4 for 7. Malkin took out his anger on Semin, as did Gill. Semin had a much bigger impact on the game. AO reminded me of the guy in the stands wearing an AO jersey trying to get everyone angry.

I caught that high stick as well. Gill was facing away from both ref's and neither of them saw it.

Gill also got away with a blatant interference on Semin.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:40 pm

Pitts wrote:
KG wrote:Ovechkin totally changed the game tonight. He led by example. He went out like a nut and laid the wood to the pens.

You're wrong. The ONLY Penguin he was concerned with was his countryman Malkin. Ovechkin was intimidated and jealous of Malkin's accomplishments last season, so he seems hellbent on proving something between the two of them. His personal crusade against Malkin is what put his team behind by 3 goals to begin with since he was concerned with nothing but hurting Malkin.

You don't think his physical play inspired his team at all? It absolutely gave them a jolt...And the pens him get away with it...Even Errey was barking about it....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins