Satan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Satan

Postby Psychlone on Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:42 pm

I think he has played pretty well so far, why are some people trying to turn him into this year's whipping boy?
Psychlone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,022
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:42 am
Location: Malkintent

Re: Satan

Postby Corvidae on Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:50 pm

Melichar's been gone, Scudari's playing well, and Whitney's out. That was my 1,2,3! I just focus all my whipping on Staal, with Fedo creeping up behind. Satan has been fine. Pretty much as advertised.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,107
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:47 am

Re: Satan

Postby Guinness on Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:53 pm

Corvidae wrote:Melichar's been gone, Scudari's playing well, and Whitney's out. That was my 1,2,3! I just focus all my whipping on Staal, with Fedo creeping up behind. Satan has been fine. Pretty much as advertised.


You want to close the deal on Fedotenko? Starting calling him, and thinking of him, as "Fredo" rather than "Fedo":

Image
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,314
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:30 am
Location: At the pub

Re: Satan

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:54 pm

He still has work to do before he passes the Therrien test, but it's hard to complain for me so far. He was brought in to score goals, and he's got three in six games.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: Satan

Postby Doogs on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:06 pm

I'd like to see Satan have a nice season, so far so good.

Fedo is a better canidate for Windy Replacement Whipping Boy.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,881
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:29 pm
Location: Wexford

Re: Satan

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:08 pm

All of his goals have been tap-ins on the PP. Many times he's invisible on the ice. I'm not impressed with him so far.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: Satan

Postby Doogs on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:10 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:All of his goals have been tap-ins on the PP. Many times he's invisible on the ice. I'm not impressed with him so far.



I agree, but he's got 3 goals in 6 games. Doesn't suck.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,881
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:29 pm
Location: Wexford

Re: Satan

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:19 pm

Doogs wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:All of his goals have been tap-ins on the PP. Many times he's invisible on the ice. I'm not impressed with him so far.



I agree, but he's got 3 goals in 6 games. Doesn't suck.


I agree with your point about the "stats," however in terms of how he's playing, I'm not impressed. Scott Stevens used to have a ton of power play goals as well when he was used in front of the net but that didn't translate into how good a Defenseman he was.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: Satan

Postby npv708 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:26 pm

feds has been my whipping boy so far, and it doesn't look like that will really change right now.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,219
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Satan

Postby jf on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:29 pm

Satan is too slow to play with Crosby at even strength . Keep Dupuis with Crosby & Malkin. Staal played well with Satan .
jf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:27 pm
Location: Butler

Re: Satan

Postby jf on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:29 pm

Satan is too slow to play with Crosby at even strength . Keep Dupuis with Crosby & Malkin. Staal played well with Satan .
jf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:27 pm
Location: Butler

Re: Satan

Postby Doogs on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:50 pm

I kinda liked the line up we had tonight.

Until RS trades for Gaborik.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,881
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:29 pm
Location: Wexford

Re: Satan

Postby Mongoose87 on Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:08 am

tombarrassorules wrote:satan is pretty weak. and by weak i mean, they have this thing called the weight room and he should get in it.

my only other knock with him is that he is the worst kind of "pure goal scorer" (that sure is counter-intuitive)which is the kind that doesn't create anything, he just finishes. ovie, hossa, kovalchuk - those guys create and make the defense react. satan is the recipient of other people work whether thats along the boards or straight up play making. i cant complain because as long as he puts the puck in the back of the net im happy. the pens need a finisher like him. the problem with this is that unless hes scoring, you dont notice him. he doesnt get physical and hes not all that intimidating with the puck unless hes on the door step, thus he has the appearance of being in a slump or non existent when not racking them up.


Pretty much because we're hoping Crosby will do the creating and Satan will put his passes in. We'll see how it works out.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,908
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: The breakfast table of TRIUMPH!

Re: Satan

Postby Why So Serious? on Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:11 am

All I know is... 5 points in 6 games is A OK in my books.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,610
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:36 pm
Location: This aggression will not stand, man

Re: Satan

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:11 am

^^ Like sykora?

[quote=Bob Mckenzie]All of his goals have been tap-ins on the PP. Many times he's invisible on the ice. I'm not impressed with him so far.[/quote]

No. The 2nd goal was a gimme. The 1st is the type that we see Sid score a lot on on the PP. That's where you're supposed to be. And the third? That was a great finish. He's where he's supposed to be, and shows nice hands to shoot the puck one-touch from the slot. How can knock him for scoring goals he's supposed to score? Isn't that want you want?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,184
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Satan

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:12 am

Bob Mckenzie wrote:All of his goals have been tap-ins on the PP. Many times he's invisible on the ice. I'm not impressed with him so far.


No. The 2nd goal was a gimme. The 1st is the type that we see Sid score a lot on on the PP. That's where you're supposed to be. And the third? That was a great finish. He's where he's supposed to be, and shows nice hands to shoot the puck one-touch from the slot. How can knock him for scoring goals he's supposed to score? Isn't that want you want?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,184
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Satan

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:20 am

Satan is very good in front of the net.

When you are on a line and/or powerplay unit with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, that bodes well.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,949
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: The 412

Re: Satan

Postby Burnaby_Joe on Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:38 am

tombarrassorules wrote:ya theres no arguing that the guy knows where to be. hes a proven scorer. its just tough when you've got a player out there who cant do anything else. he doesnt forecheck, cant win on the boards, and doesnt backcheck. i think he'll get about 25 this season, but theres more to the game than scoring goals.


again, he's a finisher...........he snipes and taps, no grit, no muscle...........there's no doubt in my mind Shero knew that.........Miro is excellent at what he does, and that's score goals in good environment..........
Burnaby_Joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 813
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:47 am
Location: Малкин лучший ХОККЕИСТ! :)

Re: Satan

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:53 am

tombarrassorules wrote:its just tough when you've got a player out there who cant do anything else. he doesnt forecheck, cant win on the boards, and doesnt backcheck. i think he'll get about 25 this season, but theres more to the game than scoring goals.


Exactly my point. If he's going to be the Ray Sheppard on Crosby's line, Sid's still going to need someone else to forecheck/backcheck, go to the net, and cycle on his line. 4 out of his 5 points have been on the PP. The other point he was the 2nd assist on Scuds goal. Special teams is important...very important.

My point is, on Crosby's line on even strength, he's been a ghost. No forecheck/backcheck/cycle. The only thing I see him do on Crosby's line is float.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: Satan

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:56 am

Burnaby_Joe wrote:
tombarrassorules wrote:ya theres no arguing that the guy knows where to be. hes a proven scorer. its just tough when you've got a player out there who cant do anything else. he doesnt forecheck, cant win on the boards, and doesnt backcheck. i think he'll get about 25 this season, but theres more to the game than scoring goals.


again, he's a finisher...........he snipes and taps, no grit, no muscle...........there's no doubt in my mind Shero knew that.........Miro is excellent at what he does, and that's score goals in good environment..........


I think Hossa screwed Shero with the time it took for him to make his decision and by the time Shero heard back from Hossa, 95% of anyone else that he may have been interested in was already locked up.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: Satan

Postby brwi on Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:00 am

tombarrassorules wrote:ya theres no arguing that the guy knows where to be. hes a proven scorer. its just tough when you've got a player out there who cant do anything else. he doesnt forecheck, cant win on the boards, and doesnt backcheck. i think he'll get about 25 this season, but theres more to the game than scoring goals.


I'd be happy if they put him on the 4th line except for PP's. I think he's below average in about every facet except the PP. Against teams with very good first lines, he becomes a liability on the ice. He still has the hands to put pucks in the net and the hockey instinct to know where to be but he's like a slightly slower version of Sykora right now. Pretty tough to play him on a 1st line. Still, it's early in the season but this is a guy picked up who wasn't on the rise and I don't see the fit at all on lines 1,2(Sykora already there and u sure don't put both on the same line) or 3(checking,energy).

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,929
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: Satan

Postby Burnaby_Joe on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:37 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:
Burnaby_Joe wrote:
tombarrassorules wrote:ya theres no arguing that the guy knows where to be. hes a proven scorer. its just tough when you've got a player out there who cant do anything else. he doesnt forecheck, cant win on the boards, and doesnt backcheck. i think he'll get about 25 this season, but theres more to the game than scoring goals.


again, he's a finisher...........he snipes and taps, no grit, no muscle...........there's no doubt in my mind Shero knew that.........Miro is excellent at what he does, and that's score goals in good environment..........


I think Hossa screwed Shero with the time it took for him to make his decision and by the time Shero heard back from Hossa, 95% of anyone else that he may have been interested in was already locked up.


I agree, but I still think Miro is a good sign...........a bit overpaid though, but still capable of delivering the goods.........
Burnaby_Joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 813
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:47 am
Location: Малкин лучший ХОККЕИСТ! :)

Re: Satan

Postby pensfan20 on Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:39 pm

You cant hate on the guy for doing what he has been doing his entire career. He puts the puck in the net. Thats what he does. He wont check, forcheck, backcheck, for all i know he bounces checks.. but RS knew that when he signed him. He will definately help our PP. And is ok to be out there with Sid as long as Sid and Dupuis(or whom ever plays the left side) relize they need to fight/cycle the puck themselves and get it to an open Satan for the shot. Ala Sykora. I mean you rarely see Sykora do anything else but shoot the puck. And at this point in their careers to try and change them into something they are not, i would assume would only hurt their overall play.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,040
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:11 am
Location: Johnstown PA

Re: Satan

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:45 pm

tombarrassorules wrote:satan is pretty weak. and by weak i mean, they have this thing called the weight room and he should get in it.

my only other knock with him is that he is the worst kind of "pure goal scorer" (that sure is counter-intuitive)which is the kind that doesn't create anything, he just finishes. ovie, hossa, kovalchuk - those guys create and make the defense react. satan is the recipient of other people work whether thats along the boards or straight up play making. i cant complain because as long as he puts the puck in the back of the net im happy. the pens need a finisher like him. the problem with this is that unless hes scoring, you dont notice him. he doesnt get physical and hes not all that intimidating with the puck unless hes on the door step, thus he has the appearance of being in a slump or non existent when not racking them up.


I'm guessing you don't like Sykora much, right?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,114
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Satan

Postby T.K. on Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:All of his goals have been tap-ins on the PP. Many times he's invisible on the ice. I'm not impressed with him so far.

I don't care if crosby is shooting pucks in the net off of his face, who the hell care how the puck gets in the net. A goal is a goal and goals win games. period.
T.K.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:20 pm
Location: Scranton, PA

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Admin, Dr Rosenrosen, Headshot77, Kharlamov, Michael Scott, Pruezy11881, RxBandit66, ShipHockey7, slipshod, WDWBurghGooner and 28 guests

e-mail