Fighting is beneath Bozo The Columnist.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fighting is beneath Bozo The Columnist.

Postby Samsdog on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:16 pm

I've thought this guy was an idiot since the first time I read one of his columns, and this does nothing to improve my opinion. Just for a second, completely ignore whether you approve of fighting or not. What does this guy prove? He says that it keep the NHL from gaining fans. Where is the research to prove it? People defending fighting are promoting "hooliganism"? Right, their opinions are invalid because you say they are, Smizik. This guy gives absolutely no statistical backing to his argument beyond listing PIM's, which, frankly, is irrelevant. How does saying that a guy has a lot of PIM's, even if they are from fighting, add or detract from the validity of allowing fights? No research on his claims about fan base, and defends his argument by saying only idiotic barbarians would disagree with him rather than making a structured refutation of counterpoints. What a tool.

That said, I approve of fighting if only because it's such an ingrained part of the game. Granted, I doubt many people would stop watching if the fights went away, but to me it would almost feel like something was missing, not an insignificant thing to say in a game as steeped in tradition as hockey is. The sport just doesn't appeal to a wide fan base-a lot of people watch football and baseball because they can remember playing it when they were kids; not nearly as many kids play hockey because it's expensive, so not as many get hooked. Other than that, it's not a style of game many Americans watch- think of how many Euro's watch soccer, while its culturally irrelevant in America. It's just a sport preference, and no rule change is going to change that.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,698
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:33 pm
Location: Bloomfield

Re: Fighting is beneath Bozo The Columnist.

Postby Kicksave on Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:35 pm

[quote="Karl_Racki"][quote="bill from turtle creek"][quote="Karl_Racki"][quote="bill from turtle creek"]I still say it didn't mean anything. Bradley gets his face split in half, and you think that helped the Caps score their first goal?(/quote)

You don't understand the game and how momentum works huh? That fight was to try to get a spark for his team. Like I said alot of fights are like that. Look at the one I posted about MacIntyre and Prust and what Moreau said.(/quote)

I understand momentum quite well, thank you. And that fight generated none, save for the downward trickle of blood that seemed to be picking up speed quite nicely as the loser skated off the ice.(/quote)

Yeah because the team that the winner of the fight is from is the only one to ever get momentum.(/quote)

To be honest, neither one of you are qualified to say whether or not the fight brought any motivation to the teams because you aren't apart of the teams.

Until somebody comes out and says otherwise, neither of you are right.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,572
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:53 am
Location: Feeling like I want to rage...right now.

Re: Fighting is beneath Bozo The Columnist.

Postby Jasmine on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:10 pm

3 PAGES?!!!!! :shock:
When it comes to hockey, why does anyone pay Bozo any mind?
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,197
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:50 pm
Location: Where I eat, drink and sleep hockey . . . like Sid

Re: Fighting is beneath Bozo The Columnist.

Postby cs6687 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:12 pm

TheTimeHasCome wrote:
"woebegone franchises like the Pirates turn a profit the Penguins can only dream of"


Could this possibly be true.... I'm not real up to speed on the sports economy in our fair city but this seems a little stretched


Um, Bozo, the Pirates turn a profit because they get $20 million in revenue sharing income from the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. And those fans who show up at PNC Park each summer are really enjoying watching a loser so the Nuttings can pump that revenue sharing income into Seven Springs. Wildly popular franchises like the Penguins are enjoying success and popularity that woebegone franchises like the Pirates can only dream of.

In fact, I just emailed Bozo:

Mr. Smizik,

This comment in your Sunday column was unnecessary and shows your jealousy of the Penguins:

At present, the NHL is turning a nice profit and might be content to be the niche league its television ratings say it is. But if it ever wants to crash the big time -- where woebegone franchises like the Pirates turn a profit the Penguins can only dream of -- it needs to appeal to a broader spectrum of fans.

First, fighting will not make or break the NHL. Second, I'll gladly trade in profits the Pirates are making from revenue sharing in MLB for the success and popularity the Penguins are enjoying right now. You should have written this:

Wiildly popular franchises like the Penguins are enjoying success and popularity that woebegone franchises like the Pirates can only dream of. And it's not because of fighting.

Hoping you enjoy listening to Mark Madden every day on 105.9 the X,

C. ******
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,188
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:02 pm

Re: Fighting is beneath Bozo The Columnist.

Postby Pen'sCup on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:36 pm

cs6687 wrote:
TheTimeHasCome wrote:
"woebegone franchises like the Pirates turn a profit the Penguins can only dream of"


Could this possibly be true.... I'm not real up to speed on the sports economy in our fair city but this seems a little stretched


Um, Bozo, the Pirates turn a profit because they get $20 million in revenue sharing income from the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. And those fans who show up at PNC Park each summer are really enjoying watching a loser so the Nuttings can pump that revenue sharing income into Seven Springs. Wildly popular franchises like the Penguins are enjoying success and popularity that woebegone franchises like the Pirates can only dream of.

In fact, I just emailed Bozo:

Mr. Smizik,

This comment in your Sunday column was unnecessary and shows your jealousy of the Penguins:

At present, the NHL is turning a nice profit and might be content to be the niche league its television ratings say it is. But if it ever wants to crash the big time -- where woebegone franchises like the Pirates turn a profit the Penguins can only dream of -- it needs to appeal to a broader spectrum of fans.

First, fighting will not make or break the NHL. Second, I'll gladly trade in profits the Pirates are making from revenue sharing in MLB for the success and popularity the Penguins are enjoying right now. You should have written this:

Wiildly popular franchises like the Penguins are enjoying success and popularity that woebegone franchises like the Pirates can only dream of. And it's not because of fighting.

Hoping you enjoy listening to Mark Madden every day on 105.9 the X,

C. ******

You know how many good columns Bob Smizik has written? 5..........................................Maybe.
Pen'sCup
 

Re: Fighting is beneath Bozo The Columnist.

Postby cs6687 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:52 am

cs6687 wrote:
TheTimeHasCome wrote:
"woebegone franchises like the Pirates turn a profit the Penguins can only dream of"


Could this possibly be true.... I'm not real up to speed on the sports economy in our fair city but this seems a little stretched


Um, Bozo, the Pirates turn a profit because they get $20 million in revenue sharing income from the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. And those fans who show up at PNC Park each summer are really enjoying watching a loser so the Nuttings can pump that revenue sharing income into Seven Springs. Wildly popular franchises like the Penguins are enjoying success and popularity that woebegone franchises like the Pirates can only dream of.

In fact, I just emailed Bozo:

Mr. Smizik,

This comment in your Sunday column was unnecessary and shows your jealousy of the Penguins:

At present, the NHL is turning a nice profit and might be content to be the niche league its television ratings say it is. But if it ever wants to crash the big time -- where woebegone franchises like the Pirates turn a profit the Penguins can only dream of -- it needs to appeal to a broader spectrum of fans.

First, fighting will not make or break the NHL. Second, I'll gladly trade in profits the Pirates are making from revenue sharing in MLB for the success and popularity the Penguins are enjoying right now. You should have written this:

Wiildly popular franchises like the Penguins are enjoying success and popularity that woebegone franchises like the Pirates can only dream of. And it's not because of fighting.

Hoping you enjoy listening to Mark Madden every day on 105.9 the X,

C. ******


Bozo responds:

I knew I could not hide my jealousy of the Penguins from someone as smart as your. Congratulations on your astuteness. -- Bob Smizik
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,188
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:02 pm

Re: Fighting is beneath Bozo The Columnist.

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:24 am

Bozo gets the smacketh layeth down on him today over at hockeybuzz.com, by Bill Meltzer.

Meltzer wrote:in the Sunday Pittsburgh-Post Gazette, Bob Smizik wrote a scathing condemnation of fighting that read like it was pulled from the 1970s archives.


Back in the 1970s, Bozo was a Bucco beat writer. it was probably the last time he wrote anything intelligent.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,759
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Re: Fighting is beneath Bozo The Columnist.

Postby Geezer on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:43 am

Samsdog wrote:I've thought this guy was an idiot since the first time I read one of his columns, and this does nothing to improve my opinion. Just for a second, completely ignore whether you approve of fighting or not. What does this guy prove? He says that it keep the NHL from gaining fans. Where is the research to prove it? People defending fighting are promoting "hooliganism"? Right, their opinions are invalid because you say they are, Smizik. This guy gives absolutely no statistical backing to his argument beyond listing PIM's, which, frankly, is irrelevant. How does saying that a guy has a lot of PIM's, even if they are from fighting, add or detract from the validity of allowing fights? No research on his claims about fan base, and defends his argument by saying only idiotic barbarians would disagree with him rather than making a structured refutation of counterpoints. What a tool.

That said, I approve of fighting if only because it's such an ingrained part of the game. Granted, I doubt many people would stop watching if the fights went away, but to me it would almost feel like something was missing, not an insignificant thing to say in a game as steeped in tradition as hockey is. The sport just doesn't appeal to a wide fan base-a lot of people watch football and baseball because they can remember playing it when they were kids; not nearly as many kids play hockey because it's expensive, so not as many get hooked. Other than that, it's not a style of game many Americans watch- think of how many Euro's watch soccer, while its culturally irrelevant in America. It's just a sport preference, and no rule change is going to change that.



Totally agree. His premise that hockey would become more popular without fighting is just speculation on his part. I wonder if the NHL has ever researched this. My view is that hockey would become more popular in the U.S. if youth hockey became more widespead, even if it were deck hockey or roller hockey.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,399
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:24 am

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jeffshly, letsgoalpens, murphydump55, pcm, Why Not Us and 23 guests

e-mail