Giving Scuds & Orpik their due

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Giving Scuds & Orpik their due

Postby Penspal on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:40 am

Okay, I'll admit I was impressed with Scuds as the season wore on last year, and he was solid in the playoffs.

Scuds just seems to be getting better and better at making the simple defensive play, which you can so easily take for granted.

To start the season with an injury and little training camp, he was rusty and was not good. But the last 3 game Scuds has been a defensive monster. Blocking key shots in the crease, eliminating Ovechkin and clearing the zone....

It is easy to overlook these things, but with the mistakes the Pens have been making so far this season, when these things do occur, you notice them, and Scuds has been solid.

Same for Orpik. The PK has been good, and he is skating very well this year. Up to this point, I'd say he's earned his money. Hopefully it will continue.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Giving Scuds & Orpik their due

Postby shmenguin on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:42 am

scuds, letang, whitney, gonchar, orpik, eaton, gogo - next year's d looks very good in this case. i wouldn't even know who to scratch. i'd like to be able to lock scuds up for few couple years (would he cost more than 1 mill/yr?)
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bringitonhome on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:44 am

I love the scud missle.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:53 am

Scuderi no longer handles the puck in his own end like a live grenade. 2 years ago you knew everytime he had the puck on his backhand in his own end we were getting a delay of game.

I still think the guy roided up last summer, no one gets that much better at 28 years old like he did.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:53 am

i'd like to be able to lock scuds up for few couple years (would he cost more than 1 mill/yr?)

Jeff Finger. I remember Scuderi saying that he left some money on the table to stay here last time... he's pretty established as a solid defensive defenseman now. With six other NHL D already signed through next season, I don't think they're going to be able to pay his market value, especially with two or three top six wing spots potentially to fill.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens#1 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:56 am

does Scuds hit the trade market when Whitney returns?
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:12 pm

Brooks Orpik was absolutely destroying the opposition on Saturday night. He hit Mikael Grabovski in front of the net so hard that you could audibly hear Grabovski getting the wind knocked out of him from the stands.

Orpik has been hands down fantastic. The best defenseman on the ice night in and night out. No contest.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Why So Serious? on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:13 pm

pens#1 wrote:does Scuds hit the trade market when Whitney returns?

No, you will probably see Goligoski or Letang take a back seat when #19 comes back.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:24 pm

The difference between Scuds and Finger is the offence upside. I believe Finger has considerably more. And let's be down right frank, Toronto was foolish to give him soooo much. But you make a good point, Scuds will be given offers whenever he does come up.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bill from turtle creek on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:07 pm

I guess we are all surprised, but I bet that Scuderi gets offers around $2million if he hits the free market. Solid defensive defensemen are always somewhat over-valued. If the Pens want him back, they'd better get him before he becomes a free agent. Seems to me that they will need to choose between him and Gill, and won't be able to afford both, unless they move Gonchar.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:09 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:I guess we are all surprised, but I bet that Scuderi gets offers around $2million if he hits the free market. Solid defensive defensemen are always somewhat over-valued. If the Pens want him back, they'd better get him before he becomes a free agent. Seems to me that they will need to choose between him and Gill, and won't be able to afford both, unless they move Gonchar.

Agreed...Scuderi is every bit, if not better then Eaton who signed for 2 years $4MM this past year...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:14 pm

it's interesting, i can't really compare scuds to other notable ufa's in the past. i mean, he doesn't do any of the "sexy" stuff that usually lands contracts. he's at best average at hitting, passing, skating and scoring (aka $, $, $ and $). but he's an unreal penalty killer and may be one of the more reliable guys in the league. i have no idea what to expect.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:22 pm

^^ Scuds = the best 5-on-3 PKer in the league. =p
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:42 pm

You keep Scuds over Gill, no question. The guy is 29 and hitting the prime of his career while Gill is on the decline. Sydor and Gill will not be here, the money is here to keep Scuderi. 3 years, $5 million extension please Shero.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:03 pm

meecrofilm wrote:^^ Scuds = the best 5-on-3 PKer in the league. =p

Wow, thats clearly something that only a pens fan would say. Its impossible to see enough 5-3 in the league to make that determination about anyone unless you watch every single 5-3 somehow.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:05 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

Wow, thats clearly something that only a pens fan would say. Its impossible to see enough 5-3 in the league to make that determination about anyone unless you watch every single 5-3 somehow.

I can't recall a 5-3 goal against when Scuderi has been on the ice defending the slot. He's one of the best penalty killers in the NHL right now.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:10 pm

DelPen wrote:You keep Scuds over Gill, no question. The guy is 29 and hitting the prime of his career while Gill is on the decline. Sydor and Gill will not be here, the money is here to keep Scuderi. 3 years, $5 million extension please Shero.

Agreed....On all counts...Scuderi is a penguin draft pick as well, they like keeping the home grown guys together...Gill, Sydor will be gone...Hopefully Sydor sooner then later...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Why So Serious? on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:12 pm

DelPen wrote: keep Scuderi. 3 years, $5 million extension please Shero.

Never thought I would ever hear anyone say that.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:22 pm

DelPen wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

I can't recall a 5-3 goal against when Scuderi has been on the ice defending the slot. He's one of the best penalty killers in the NHL right now.

Thats a stat I'd love to see, I can't find any site that has it. And i'm not arguing that he isn't great on the pk, but its impossible to know who the best 5-3 player is when its rare that the situation occurs. You'd really have to see a ton of them to even have any idea and even then you'd have to consider the players around said player. Vancouver, i'm sure has the best stats over a longer period of time, but they also have a solid goalie and like 4 or 5 really good penalty killing guys.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:42 pm

KG wrote:
bill from turtle creek wrote:I guess we are all surprised, but I bet that Scuderi gets offers around $2million if he hits the free market. Solid defensive defensemen are always somewhat over-valued. If the Pens want him back, they'd better get him before he becomes a free agent. Seems to me that they will need to choose between him and Gill, and won't be able to afford both, unless they move Gonchar.

Agreed...Scuderi is every bit, if not better then Eaton who signed for 2 years $4MM this past year...

I actually am an Eaton supporter and I find ZERO logic in the contract he was given.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:01 pm

Jim wrote:
KG wrote:

I actually am an Eaton supporter and I find ZERO logic in the contract he was given.

did i miss something? has eaton been under-performing?

he was arguably our best defenseman last year before he got hurt and this year he's playing the same brand of hockey and is part of an outstanding penalty kill. guys like eaton aren't available for under $2 million. that's the main logic behind the signing.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WWGRD on Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:02 pm

Super Scuds.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:13 pm

Jim wrote:
KG wrote:

That's funny. I was under the logic that it's best when you DON'T notice guys like Eaton on the ice.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jmh470 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:38 pm

Scuds rocks, but Scuds-Gill will always make me cringe.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm

Jim wrote:
KG wrote:

I understood the contract at the time because Eaton is a Shero guy and he brought him to the burgh...Not sure he warranted a raise, but $2MM per year for a solid d man is fair...

I will say they have a lot of money wrapped up in 5th and 6th defenseman...Eaton $2MM, Gill $2.5MM, Sydor $2.5MM...Sydor just has to go already...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins