Giving Scuds & Orpik their due

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Giving Scuds & Orpik their due

Postby Mongoose87 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:21 pm

Guinness wrote:I think if Letang and Gogo perform well, suddenly Gonchar becomes a luxury. I love the guy, but if Letang and Gogo progress as we all hope, that 5 million could be put to use elsewhere... *cough**hossa*cough* ;)

:pop:

Gonchar brings too much to the table. between his shot, his puck-moving and his positional defense, Gogo and Letang are years from his level.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Guinness on Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:24 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:
Guinness wrote:I think if Letang and Gogo perform well, suddenly Gonchar becomes a luxury. I love the guy, but if Letang and Gogo progress as we all hope, that 5 million could be put to use elsewhere... *cough**hossa*cough* ;)

Gonchar brings too much to the table. between his shot, his puck-moving and his positional defense, Gogo and Letang are years from his level.

I don't disagree, and I like Gonchar on this team, but if they're winning, and winning well, with Letang, Gogo, and Whitney coming back, Gonchar's salary might be a place where money can be freed up.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:57 pm

Guinness wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:

I don't disagree, and I like Gonchar on this team, but if they're winning, and winning well, with Letang, Gogo, and Whitney coming back, Gonchar's salary might be a place where money can be freed up.

Come the playoffs, we regret it.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:27 pm

71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bhaw on Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:18 pm

Guinness wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:

It's a huge IF as to whether the team can play almost as well without Gonchar as with him, but I agree that it would be some phenomenal trade bait to put him out there. Sometimes you have to make the leap to put yourself in a better position.

The question isn't whether or not the Pens without Gonchar can be as good or better than the Pens with Gonchar... the question becomes is the team better with Gonchar or with what he can bring us in a trade.

Depending on how the year goes, I would consider looking into it if I were GM. But it will also depend on if Gonchar can play at some point this year. If he only plays a hand full of games in the playoffs, we would need to play him for at least part of the year next year to show teams he isn't shot because of the injury.

Definitely something to keep an open ear to, IMO... but obviously not something we can even consider pursuing at this time.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:05 pm

Also, at $5 mil, Gonch is a bargain compared to what other o-dmen get on the market.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:09 pm

i didn't read much of the game thread, but did anyone else think orpik was unusually free candy-ish last night? it looked like everyone he checked was hitting the deck
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WWGRD on Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:27 pm

shmenguin wrote:i didn't read much of the game thread, but did anyone else think orpik was unusually free candy-ish last night? it looked like everyone he checked was hitting the deck

I noticed that too - looked like he added a few more Pez into the Pez Dispenser
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:18 am

Mongoose87 wrote:Also, at $5 mil, Gonch is a bargain compared to what other o-dmen get on the market.

See: Brian Campbell.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins