Giving Scuds & Orpik their due

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Giving Scuds & Orpik their due

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:46 am

Free Candy leading the league in hits:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm? ... layerStats

Edit: Scuderi tied for lead in blocked shots:

I still can't believe we have a Penguins team that plays defense. It's like a Raiders team that doesn't take penalties or a Pirates team with a winning record. Bizarre.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby cthulhuchrist on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:26 pm

KG wrote:
DelPen wrote:You keep Scuds over Gill, no question. The guy is 29 and hitting the prime of his career while Gill is on the decline. Sydor and Gill will not be here, the money is here to keep Scuderi. 3 years, $5 million extension please Shero.

Agreed....On all counts...Scuderi is a penguin draft pick as well, they like keeping the home grown guys together...Gill, Sydor will be gone...Hopefully Sydor sooner then later...

Give Sydor some credit, he did play some good hockey last night. And with all our injuries, I don't know if we really wanna risk any trades of our defensemen. After the deadline we won't have to worry about keeping the roster trimmed. Might as well hang on to him as long as we need him. That's not to say that if a sweet deal comes along that involves Sydor, that Shero shouldn't take it. I just don't think at this point anyone should be thinking to start shopping him out.

And as far as Scuds and Orpik are concerned. Those two have been beasts these past couple games. Scuds, its true, has worked on handling the puck. And Orpik hasn't lost a step since playoffs last year, even with out the Gonch.
cthulhuchrist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:31 pm

Trading Sydor serves no purpose. They're already down two D long-term and any minor injury like Gill's means Sydor needs to play. Otherwise, you're looking at bringing up an AHL defenseman. Sydor's been a disappointment, but he's still a capable NHL defender. By all means, move him for a pick if they ever get the D healthy, but he's necessary now.

I'm kind of surprised by those blocked shots totals. It's early, but it's surprising that Eaton is last among Pens defensemen. He was always around the top of the league in that category. When the Pens got Eaton, at the time Scuderi was hated but I always thought he'd eventually develop into an Eaton-like defenseman and he has. Gee, another situation where an inexperienced player struggles at first and then improves.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:52 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Free Candy leading the league in hits:

I still can't believe we have a Penguins team that plays defense. It's like a Raiders team that doesn't take penalties or a Pirates team with a winning record. Bizarre.

Thank Michel Therrien.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:55 pm

I would say that Scuds strengths right now are rooted firmly in the defensive zone. His ability to angle and then attack a puck carrier in the corner is spectacular. His timing at puck separation is uncanny, and he constatly seems to sacrifice his body in taking a hit to make a play or blocking a shot. I've lost count of how many goal crease plays that he has made.

Orpik (last nigiht's blunder aside) has added the dimension of skating the puck out of danger.

Both seem to be trying to throw the puck on net more than "around" the net.

Eaton is very slowly coming back into form. I suspect he is not getting as much ice time as he was previously.

As for Sydor, he's an overpriced 7th dmen right now, but likely the best 7th in the league. If they chose to trade him, I would like to think its when his value is highest, which probably means late year. There is nothing wrong with Sydor, there are just better dmen playing the roles that this team needs.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:58 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Trading Sydor serves no purpose. They're already down two D long-term and any minor injury like Gill's means Sydor needs to play. Otherwise, you're looking at bringing up an AHL defenseman. Sydor's been a disappointment, but he's still a capable NHL defender. By all means, move him for a pick if they ever get the D healthy, but he's necessary now.

I'm kind of surprised by those blocked shots totals. It's early, but it's surprising that Eaton is last among Pens defensemen. He was always around the top of the league in that category. When the Pens got Eaton, at the time Scuderi was hated but I always thought he'd eventually develop into an Eaton-like defenseman and he has. Gee, another situation where an inexperienced player struggles at first and then improves.

Unless they need the cap space to add another player...For what Sydor brings to the table these days, you can get a guy off waivers making the league minimum and save $2MM...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PittPensFan on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:02 pm

Jesse wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Free Candy leading the league in hits:

Thank Michel Therrien.

That's unpossible!
PittPensFan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:14 pm

Cap room isn't an issue with Whitney and Gonchar out. At most Gonchar will probably count for about $1 million against the cap. Whitney maybe around $2 million. That's $6 million free cap space, and keep in mind any player they got wouldn't count for his full hit either. They need Sydor as depth, unless people really want to see Richmond or Lovejoy getting regular playing time if another long-term injury pops up.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:22 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:^^ Scuds = the best 5-on-3 PKer in the league. =p

Wow, thats clearly something that only a pens fan would say. Its impossible to see enough 5-3 in the league to make that determination about anyone unless you watch every single 5-3 somehow.

Well, apparently the tongue-in-cheek symbol =p doesn't mean what it used to. The point of that comment obviously was to state that, yeah, we don't know who the best 5-on-3 Dman in the league is, and that's it's probably not Scuderi, but damn does he do a fantastic job whenever he's out on them. 'Cause he's the Pens' first choice in that situation, and he's almost always clutch in those situations.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:40 pm

I can see them giving him an extension and letting Gill walk. With Sydor and Gill gone ,that's plenty of cap space.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby brwi on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:04 pm

Scuds has not only improved in puck handling in his own end, but he's taking shots from the point much more frequently this year and some are on target :) His overall game has improved to the point that he'll be getting a healthy payday in the future and deservedly so. He and Gill are a very unlikely pairing but it works for the Pens. Their play as a unit from the 2nd round on was stellar and it's generally been the same this season, though Gill has had a couple of rough games, which he will from time to time.

Having Sydor right now is really nice when you have your top 2 d-men on the shelf and the regular starting 6 aren't going to be injury-free the whole time Gonch and Whitney are out. Now, once they are back, Sydor gets to sit in the press box or get waived, but he's a nice luxury to have at this point.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:23 pm

Tomorrow night's game will be a great challenge to the penguin defense. Despite the injuries and youth, pens defense continues to be a strong part of their success.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:54 pm

I wonder if Scuds will be considered part of the core?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Nizzy on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:00 pm

Orpik is leading the league in hits.

"You can replace a guy like Malone, You can't replace a guy like Orpik" -Mark Madden.

Pretty true words. Have we ever had a guy like Orpik that brings the hits every night as a defenseman? I'm sure we have. Wasn't Ulf a badass?
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:01 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I wonder if Scuds will be considered part of the core?

Right now i'd take Scudz over Eaton. Eaton might still be a tad more skilled then Scuderi but Scuderi doesn't seem as injury prone. I would hope we can give Scudz a new deal, something cheap of course. Although he did Bury a sweet goal this year.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:19 pm

we all might be shocked and shero trades away eaton over anybody else. Free Candy and Scud Missle have been great, I really think everything just clicked with Orpik when he got paired with Sarge, sometimes that happens with players. He had all the talent, just always seemed to do one thing or the other right, now it clicks and he can bring a solid overall game. I mean nobody can predict the future, but if whitney gets back to two year ago form, we could potentially havea top pair of orpik and whitney signed long term fair below market value, that is a great things to have
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby KG on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:23 pm

Scuderi will sign the usual Shero 2 year contract...Gill will not be offered a contract...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:11 pm

Scuds led all Pens' skaters with 23:54 of ice time yesterday. He played on the top pairing. He's been pretty much lights out on the PK this year, and at strength as well, and as somebody mentioned early, he was tied for the league lead in blocked shots. If he keeps this up, other teams are eventually going to take notice. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets offered something close to the area of Jeff Finger money.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:32 pm

Scuderi won't be back because the Pens already have six NHL defensemen signed through next season and Scuderi isn't going to be a bargain anymore. As we've seen this year, depth on D is important but the Pens will have bigger cap issues than ever next year with Malkin's new deal kicking in plus a new deal for Staal. They're going to have to find cheaper depth.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:29 am

Henry Hank wrote:Scuderi won't be back because the Pens already have six NHL defensemen signed through next season and Scuderi isn't going to be a bargain anymore. As we've seen this year, depth on D is important but the Pens will have bigger cap issues than ever next year with Malkin's new deal kicking in plus a new deal for Staal. They're going to have to find cheaper depth.

They do? I only count 5: Gonchar, Whitney, Orpik, Eaton, and Letang. Goligoski is a RFA. Gill and Sydor UFA. With Eaton's history of injuries, I can see him being moved for a mid-round draft pick or Grade B player, maybe before the year is over. I don't see the Pens finishing the season with both Sydor and Eaton on the roster, unless more serious injuries occur on the blueline.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:36 am

As long as Orpik doesn't make any more of those passes that gave Sutter the breakaway, he's doing a good job :D
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:54 am

You're right, Goligoski is an RFA. Maybe I should have said they will have six D signed. I consider Goligoski signing a new deal to be a foregone conclusion. I don't see why they'd trade Eaton when they just signed him. They signed him for a reason. He could potentially get bumped out of the lineup if everyone is healthy, but he also might be not. In any event, by the time that could possibly be an issue, there will be no roster limits so he simply becomes very good depth for the playoff run. He figures to have a place in next year's lineup. Sydor I can see being traded or waived eventually, but that's also because he's not signed after this season and he's ninth on the depth chart when everyone is healthy.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:12 pm

Henry Hank wrote:You're right, Goligoski is an RFA. Maybe I should have said they will have six D signed. I consider Goligoski signing a new deal to be a foregone conclusion. I don't see why they'd trade Eaton when they just signed him. They signed him for a reason. He could potentially get bumped out of the lineup if everyone is healthy, but he also might be not. In any event, by the time that could possibly be an issue, there will be no roster limits so he simply becomes very good depth for the playoff run. He figures to have a place in next year's lineup. Sydor I can see being traded or waived eventually, but that's also because he's not signed after this season and he's ninth on the depth chart when everyone is healthy.

Based on his experience level, his performance thus far (assuming it continues to improve as it has) and his potential - Goligoski becomes perhaps the biggest threat to be stolen by an offer sheet. A team that needs a PP leader and mobility on D could offer him a deal that would be hard for the Pens to match - but still not be up into the top tiers of the compensation model.

It would be a risk for another GM, but the sample size of his work thus far sure makes it look like we have a good one. Perhaps better than Letang if you are looking for offense on your back line.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bhaw on Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:00 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:You're right, Goligoski is an RFA. Maybe I should have said they will have six D signed. I consider Goligoski signing a new deal to be a foregone conclusion. I don't see why they'd trade Eaton when they just signed him. They signed him for a reason. He could potentially get bumped out of the lineup if everyone is healthy, but he also might be not. In any event, by the time that could possibly be an issue, there will be no roster limits so he simply becomes very good depth for the playoff run. He figures to have a place in next year's lineup. Sydor I can see being traded or waived eventually, but that's also because he's not signed after this season and he's ninth on the depth chart when everyone is healthy.

Based on his experience level, his performance thus far (assuming it continues to improve as it has) and his potential - Goligoski becomes perhaps the biggest threat to be stolen by an offer sheet. A team that needs a PP leader and mobility on D could offer him a deal that would be hard for the Pens to match - but still not be up into the top tiers of the compensation model.

It would be a risk for another GM, but the sample size of his work thus far sure makes it look like we have a good one. Perhaps better than Letang if you are looking for offense on your back line.

You have to remember that an RFA has to make it to July 1st to even have the chance of being given an offer sheet. If Shero offers him something he likes, it's a non-issue. Shero can also take him to arbitration, eliminating all chances of an offer sheet.

I think people get too concerned about the whole offer sheet thing. They seldom happen and there are many ways to avoid it. It also appears that most teams have learned from the Vanek and Penner deals that it isn't worth it to go after big money guys. It only makes sense on guys like Bernier who got one, but doesn't cost you your future.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:34 pm

I think if Letang and Gogo perform well, suddenly Gonchar becomes a luxury. I love the guy, but if Letang and Gogo progress as we all hope, that 5 million could be put to use elsewhere... *cough**hossa*cough* ;)

:pop:
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins