There is no shame in being a 3rd line shut down center.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

There is no shame in being a 3rd line shut down center.

Postby SMTM on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:20 pm

And I think that Jordan should embrace it. I thought he could be a top six center. I was wrong. I thought he could be a great replacement for Malone as a winger/power forward for Malkin. I was wrong. I hope he has learned like I have. There is no shame in being a Kirk Maltby/Kris Draper type player. Work on toughness and forecheck and he will be great against top lines. He is, however, no Eric Staal.
SMTM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: There is no shame in being a 3rd line shut down center.

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:25 pm

There is shame in taking those horrible penalties.

Also shameful is his inconsistent, lazy play.
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:27 pm

The problem is that the Pens need him to succeed as a 2nd line winger if they're winning anything this year.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:28 pm

You thought it was worth judging him after 7 games. You were wrong.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SMTM on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:28 pm

I agree with his performance this year so far. He needs to talk to Ryan Malone about performances in a contract year. Ray Shero's golden boy is looking a bit tarnished.
SMTM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SMTM on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:31 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:You thought it was worth judging him after 7 games. You were wrong.

that is BS, and we all know it. His effort is pure crap and that needs to be there from the first shift of the first game. He has been horrible with the puck. Shoots like my 93 year old grandmother and forechecks like her, too. And that we can judge right the f*ck now!
SMTM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby slipshod on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:34 pm

Jordan has 'little brother' syndrome. He wants to be as good as his big brother at scoring.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:35 pm

Staal would probably do best as a third line shut down center. Problem is, Shero wouldnt look to bright drafting a third line center 2nd overall.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby fourtKNOX on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:35 pm

i dont mean this in any harm/rude/harsh comment...

but has Jordan ever been tested for diabetes... his look, play scream this to me!
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:39 pm

SMTM wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:You thought it was worth judging him after 7 games. You were wrong.

that is BS, and we all know it. His effort is pure crap and that needs to be there from the first shift of the first game. He has been horrible with the puck. Shoots like my 93 year old grandmother and forechecks like her, too. And that we can judge right the f*ck now!

Wow, bad words. Calm down.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:40 pm

Jordan knows that 3rd line, checking centers don't make the big, big bucks. Or at least, his agent knows it.

Nobody is going to throw a big offer sheet his way. If I were the Pens, I'd make him the center of the 3rd line, and let him get used to it. This is NOT a guy that some other team is going to covet enough to give up major compensation. He's a big, slow, rangy guy with a long reach and very limited offensive upside. He'll earn himself some more dollars if he gets a little meaner, maybe, but I doubt he has that in him.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SaijinSatch on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:41 pm

he just turned 20 a few months ago.. he has the most games played, goals, and points out of anyone in his draft class. what a bum.
SaijinSatch
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SMTM on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:42 pm

I wonder if the problem is that Jordan has never really faced adversity like toiling in the minors or having an ass chewing by a veteran player. He has no fire. It really reminds me if Ryan Malone circa 2003-2004.
SMTM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:43 pm

Malone in 2003-2004 was the best Ryan Malone that has been seen in the NHL.

EDIT: Well at least offensively it was. He picked up the penalty killing since then but of course Staal has been better than Malone at that since early last season.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wallflower on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:43 pm

Not that it counts for anything, but I agree. I think it's silly to make sweeping judgements on players not even ten games into a season where many players look out of place still.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:49 pm

Late penalty aside, I thought he looked fairly good tonight as he did on Saturday. He's playing better than he was but not getting results. I'd like to see them go back to the original lines and see how they work out a few more games into the season.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SMTM on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:49 pm

Malone picked up more than penalty killing since then. He learned to play with effort and a bit of grit. His best offensive year was because he was one of the few offensive players on a horrendous team. His work ethic and attitude was immature. He was by far the most complete last year, regardless of points.
SMTM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pensfan20 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:54 pm

i do believe that his penalty in OT and his "lazy" playing style that he has had over the past couple games should not go unnoticed. If Satan and Tank get bumped to 3rd line duties, i think the same has to be done with Staal. Either but him back at 3rd line center and bring talbot or TK up to take his spot(or who ever) OR, scratch him for a game or two. This is a part of MT style that i dont like. He always says he is consistant with players, but lets face it. he has favriotes and treats them differently. Army got scratched for 8 games last year, Letang got scratched, sydor to name a few. Staal has never been scratched. in my memory at least. MAYBE his rookie year, but i dont think so. Let him watch from upstairs and learn a little. the time off might light that fire under his @ss. Maybe he thinks he is untouchable?
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:56 pm

Thats because Staal doesn't play as bad as everyone wants to pretend he is playing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wallflower on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:00 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Late penalty aside, I thought he looked fairly good tonight as he did on Saturday. He's playing better than he was but not getting results. I'd like to see them go back to the original lines and see how they work out a few more games into the season.

People see what they want to see. And when someone has been designated the whipping boy, anything good they do is written off as what they're supposed to do and when they mess up it's the worst mistake ever made & further proof of their ineptitude.

see also: Whitney, Ryan circa 2007-2008.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby juicebox1 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:02 pm

max talbot.

trade staal.
juicebox1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bhaw on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:05 pm

We need to unload Staal now to replenish draft picks. I say we are lucky to get a couple late rounders for him and maybe an AHL fill in. The guy has no future and I expect to see him in the ECHL within a couple years. Seriously, if his name weren't Staal, he would never have made it out of pee wees. Dominik Hasek will score more NHL goals from today on than Staal ever will. You heard it here first.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:07 pm

tombarrassorules wrote:im not saying the guy has to go but 18:47 is way too much time for him to be on the ice. if it was cut in half, id be okay. he's on the ice entirely too much for his level of play. there are guys that are putting in solid performances like kennedy and talbot that are playing less but because staal scored a bunch 2 years ago he gets the extra shifts. im not saying those guys are great, but staal isnt any better.

When you are on the top PK line, your ice time increases. In order for his ice time to go down, he would have to go on the 4th line. A guy doesn't break a funk by not playing in situations where he can score.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby kovyman1127 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:10 pm

Oh...for God's sake...will you Staal apologists stop. This is his 3rd year!!!
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby kovyman1127 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:11 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Thats because Staal doesn't play as bad as everyone wants to pretend he is playing.

Ummm....yes he does.
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins