Do the Penguins have a goaltender controversy?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Do the Penguins have a goaltender controversy?

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:26 am

Who is this DesLauriers? Think we could trade a package of maybe Kennedy or Dupuis, and AHLer and a pick for him? It'd be nice to have anothe reliable goalie to plug in here an there.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PittPensFan on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:26 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Who is this DesLauriers? Think we could trade a package of maybe Kennedy or Dupuis, and AHLer and a pick for him? It'd be nice to have anothe reliable goalie to plug in here an there.

The guy who's behind both Garon and Roloson in Edmonton.
PittPensFan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:29 am

PittPensFan wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Who is this DesLauriers? Think we could trade a package of maybe Kennedy or Dupuis, and AHLer and a pick for him? It'd be nice to have anothe reliable goalie to plug in here an there.

The guy who's behind both Garon and Roloson in Edmonton.

Wow no wonder they've been struggling the past few years. Its like when the pens kept malkin down in WBS till he was 20. What are they thinking?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jesse on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:44 am

Why don't we dig up the corpse of Pierre Larouche and put him in goal? I heard his GAA in the afterlife league was unreal.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:45 am

Jesse wrote:Why don't we dig up the corpse of Pierre Larouche and put him in goal? I heard his GAA in the afterlife league was unreal.

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dagny on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:57 am

ImageImage

dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joe on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:41 am

No they don't.

It's good to see sabs stepping up and playing well.

Going into the season i'm sure many of us were afraid MAF might burnt out and play over 70 games.

Sabs is playing well and will get the call more often then not to play.

Having two solid goalies is a luxury.

I admit going to the season i was afraid sabourin would be a weak link. I'm happy eating that humble pie! :)

BTW anytime the pens beat the flyers it's a great day for hockey in pittsburgh! :)
joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stopper40 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:31 am

joe wrote:No they don't.

It's good to see sabs stepping up and playing well.

Going into the season i'm sure many of us were afraid MAF might burnt out and play over 70 games.

Sabs is playing well and will get the call more often then not to play.

Having two solid goalies is a luxury.

I admit going to the season i was afraid sabourin would be a weak link. I'm happy eating that humble pie! :)

BTW anytime the pens beat the flyers it's a great day for hockey in pittsburgh! :)

I'm still woried about Sabu if MAF is out for an extended period of time. Sabu seems to play great in a spot start here and there or in a relief role.
Last year when he was given the starter's role, he fell flat on his face.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:55 am

I don't see it as a controversy, but I think they need to make an effort to get Sabu more games.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby WHITEY1 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:37 am

I am in no way a Fleury basher. I have had his jersey since he was drafted. But, he is definately not playing very solid in my opinion, at least not like he was at the end of last year after the injury. The slap shot by Gagne that went over his shoulder was a beautiful shot, but it looked like Fleaury wasnt eeven wayching the puck. The puck went high he went low almost as if he wanted it to hit him in the chest so he could then open his eyes back up. I feel as though he will get back more to the Fleaury of last year, but maybe he needs a game or 2 off to watch from the press box. Other than that GO PENS!!!
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:08 am

Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby czwalga on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:27 am

No controversy, but fleury has to play better. Only one of the goals really concerned me this game, but in detroit and edmonton their were a lot that bothered me.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Doogs on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:30 am

Yes we do, trade MAF before his value drops more!!! Jump off bridges!!! Throw trash on MAF's front yard!!! Boo him evryutime he touches the puck!!! Whitney sucks (wait where did that come from?)!!!

Stop!!! 2 shorties were the problem last night and those were Gogo and Genos fault.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:00 am

they seem to have a problem with their power play.
After the 3rd pens goal, they were into their acrobatics and making the puck levitate off of the ice...instead of remaining focused on sound passing, crisp passing, and making Biron look silly. :) I think the players were responding to the crowd...fans just love seeing the guys put on a show. And they were, until Gagne showed up.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Three Stars on Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:05 am

penny lane wrote:they seem to have a problem with their power play.
After the 3rd pens goal, they were into their acrobatics and making the puck levitate off of the ice...instead of remaining focused on sound passing, crisp passing, and making Biron look silly. :) I think the players were responding to the crowd...fans just love seeing the guys put on a show. And they were, until Gagne showed up.

Darn you, Penny, and your reasonableness! There's no place for that in the "real" LGP! :lol:
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wallflower on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:28 am

This thread makes me shake my head. I don't even know what to say.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensBeerGeek on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:42 am

That 4th goal last night was just "one of those things"....a bad bounce that ended up over his head and in the net; in hindsight, with 2 points in hand, almost comical.

The two shorties were a result of Malkin lacking a defenseman's training and instincts; the first, he really should have brought him down (there's always a better chance on a penalty shot); the second made it look like he hadn't practiced defending 2-on-1s much in practice. Hey, it's the cost of a forward on the point.

I felt like MAF getting pulled was more a message to the rest of the team than it was to Fleury himself.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby czwalga on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:56 am

PensBeerGeek wrote:That 4th goal last night was just "one of those things"....a bad bounce that ended up over his head and in the net; in hindsight, with 2 points in hand, almost comical.

The two shorties were a result of Malkin lacking a defenseman's training and instincts; the first, he really should have brought him down (there's always a better chance on a penalty shot); the second made it look like he hadn't practiced defending 2-on-1s much in practice. Hey, it's the cost of a forward on the point.

I felt like MAF getting pulled was more a message to the rest of the team than it was to Fleury himself.

I completely disagree.

Both times Malkin was put in bad situations not of his doing. Gogo f'ed the first one and even took a penalty, if malkin brings him down its a penalty shot AND a power play.

The second one, even good ole bob was like YOU CANT LET THAT PASS GET ACROSS. I'm like you idiot, that pass happend 10 feet after the blue line. If Malkin is even close to being in position to cut that pass off at that point he gets burned by the guy with the puck and will be a clear break away.

The whole point of not letting that pass get across is because the goalie doesnt have enough time to square up the shooter. The pass happend so far out from the goal fleury had PLENTY of time to square up the shooter and just got his ass burnt. Malkin played that situation fine!
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens12x on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:12 pm

A goaltender controversy? Please. Sit back down.
Pens12x
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby steelhammer on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:23 pm

czwalga wrote:I completely disagree.

Both times Malkin was put in bad situations not of his doing. Gogo f'ed the first one and even took a penalty, if malkin brings him down its a penalty shot AND a power play.

The second one, even good ole bob was like YOU CANT LET THAT PASS GET ACROSS. I'm like you idiot, that pass happend 10 feet after the blue line. If Malkin is even close to being in position to cut that pass off at that point he gets burned by the guy with the puck and will be a clear break away.

The whole point of not letting that pass get across is because the goalie doesnt have enough time to square up the shooter. The pass happend so far out from the goal fleury had PLENTY of time to square up the shooter and just got his ass burnt. Malkin played that situation fine!

Fleury had plenty of time to square up to the shooter, but he was limited as to how much he could come out and challenge the shooter because he was defending against a 3 on 1. if he came out the way he normall would, he would be in bad position if the flyers executed another pass. the shooter took advantage of that and just put an absolute bullet in the top corner. it was a really really good shot. you are either in position to make the save before the shot or you don't make the save. not enough time to react.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby czwalga on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:26 pm

steelhammer wrote:
czwalga wrote:I completely disagree.

Fleury had plenty of time to square up to the shooter, but he was limited as to how much he could come out and challenge the shooter because he was defending against a 3 on 1. if he came out the way he normall would, he would be in bad position if the flyers executed another pass. the shooter took advantage of that and just put an absolute bullet in the top corner. it was a really really good shot. you are either in position to make the save before the shot or you don't make the save. not enough time to react.

Well i'm not trying to blame fleury. I'm just saying malkin letting that pass get through was fine. It happend so far out there if he was in a position he to break that pass up the pass would have never happend and then malkin would be completely out of position. As long as malkin didn't let the pass get back, to the original guy he did his job.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:27 pm

Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensBeerGeek on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:08 pm

Eeek...apparently I've been whooshed here!! :oops:

Fortunately, I can always blame it on beer! :D
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:56 pm

Kicksave's picture wins.

Sabu is the goalie of the future though... and coincidentally the past.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby burghsportsguys on Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:15 pm

Is there a controversy? No.

Is MAF playing well below his ability the past 3 or 4 games? Absolutely.

Way too many soft goals. Lots of excuses for him in this thread, which are easily as irrational as a call for Sabu to be the starter. I'm not sure what's going with MAF, but it seems like once that first goal gets by him, it's all downhill from there. On the bright side, despite his poor efforts, the Pens have been getting Ws.
burghsportsguys
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins