2 Points is 2 points.........

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

2 Points is 2 points.........

Postby steelcity8687 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:05 am

But is anyone else absolutely disgusted by the way we played the last 12-15 minutes of that game. We were playing "not to lose" hockey for more than 12 minutes. At the end of regulation we get the puck in our end after a dump and change for the Bruins. There were about 20 seconds left and instead of even considering a break out pass Orpik and ?Letang? played hot potato in their own end. I am not saying throw an errant pass down the middle of the ice, but it really did make me sick to see the team as a whole, play like a dog that had just had its tail stepped on toward the end of the game. Oh and the end of overtime with a virtual 3 on 2 (guy without a stick) was miserable. One awful shot to show for it.

We were outplayed and outhustled when it mattered most last night, and somehow pulled 2 points out of it.

Fire MT! :wink:

ALSO, Can Crosby work on his shot and breakaway move now that he has mastered the faceoff and has shown that he can in fact hit the goalie in the pads in shootouts.

Thanks
steelcity8687
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: 2 Points is 2 points.........

Postby Three Stars on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:18 am

It's a road game with the backup goalie. That's how it goes sometimes.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:36 am

well i like the 2 points but we better start winning more games and not giving other team any points.

your right the 3 on 2.5 at the end was horrible. we actually got 1-2 quick shots then they played with it for wayyyyy to long to set up a Letang shot to far out before the time ran out.

and alot of teams go for that 1 point at the end of games especially when you wernt getting much offense going the last few minutes.

but with Sabu in net, im happy for 2 points.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joopen on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:40 am

You know you have a good team when people are complaining about the way they are winning as opposed to the fact that they are indeed winning.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens#1 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:41 am

2 points closer to Whitney and Gonchars return is the way i look at it
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:42 am

Look at it this way. The team is 4-2 and they really haven't played 60 solid minutes of hockey yet...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby joopen on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:43 am

pens#1 wrote:2 points closer to Whitney and Gonchars return is the way i look at it

The clamoring for Whitney's return on the board also has me laughing to myself.

Not saying you, but many people wanted to run him out of town faster then Kordell and now we all can't wait to get him back. The simplest things amuse me.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:43 am

Three Stars wrote:It's a road game with the backup goalie. That's how it goes sometimes.

Not really sure how the backup goalie is an issue. Sabu let in one goal, usually when that is cited the backup gets shelled.

We scored one goal on Thomas and it was only because we had lucky timing for Satan to be coming out of the box right when Sid gained the blueline 1-on-1. Everything else was gargabe on offense.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:47 am

who cares about Whitney. We need Gonchar back. Plain and simple. He is our QB.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IrishEyes on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:18 am

Yeah, but Whits will be back a heck of a lot sooner than Gonch will be.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:19 am

PenguinSteve-o wrote:who cares about Whitney. We need Gonchar back. Plain and simple. He is our QB.

Maybe we can give the Stillers a couple picks for that Dixon guy. He's young, but he's got potential.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wallflower on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:39 am

Three Stars wrote:It's a road game with the backup goalie. That's how it goes sometimes.

This.

Most of the third period was a pretty typical "road" game, I'm not sure what there is to criticize. :?
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby brwi on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:02 pm

PenguinSteve-o wrote:who cares about Whitney. We need Gonchar back. Plain and simple. He is our QB.

He's also the best all-around D-man the Pens have since his very improved play all last year in his own zone.

Pens' O is stymied by the lack of D-to-O that guys like Gonch and Whits provided, but that is an acceptable trade-off with how they are at least limiting quality scoring chances for the most part this season. It may not be the prettiest action in hockey right now, but those dump-outs and blind clearings are what the Pens blueline has to do right now to be effective.

There are signs of the blueline adjusting. The other night on Dupuis' game winning slapper, Orpik fed him beautifully cross-ice. when Orpik gathered the puck, he had another Pen about 10 feet in front of him that he could have simply passed up to, but Orpik hesitated and looked around for a split-second and saw the streaking Dupuis all alone on the wing. The puck was already out of the Pens' zone and Orpik smartly recognized that he had time to make a better play than pass to a forwrd close to him. Even if the present blueline is challenged in puck-moving skills, they can elevate it at times and now know they kind of have to in order to boost the offense.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:06 pm

joopen wrote:
pens#1 wrote:2 points closer to Whitney and Gonchars return is the way i look at it

Not saying you, but many people wanted to run him out of town faster then Kordell and now we all can't wait to get him back. The simplest things amuse me.

Yeah, i don't quite get how all last year everyone wanted him to be the healthy scratch and/or completely off the team, yet now it is generally accepted that he is the team's #2 d-man
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby cthulhuchrist on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:12 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:
joopen wrote:

Yeah, i don't quite get how all last year everyone wanted him to be the healthy scratch and/or completely off the team, yet now it is generally accepted that he is the team's #2 d-man

Maybe they all think with his new foot he will be something akin to a super whitney?
cthulhuchrist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pfim on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:13 pm

cthulhuchrist wrote:

Maybe they all think with his new foot he will be something akin to a super whitney?

Maybe they're admitting they were wrong in the first place.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wallflower on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:14 pm

pfim wrote:
cthulhuchrist wrote:

Admitting it without actually coming out and admitting it. That's deep.

Maybe we need a psychologist around here. :lol:
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cthulhuchrist on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:15 pm

pfim wrote:
cthulhuchrist wrote:

:shock: Nooooooooooo
cthulhuchrist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby laholm64 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:20 pm

I didn't see the game, so I will have to respond on the premise that the team actually did play "not to lose", which I wouldn't doubt for a second. Isn't that how we lost to the Crapitols last week?
laholm64

Postby beerman on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:25 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:
joopen wrote:

Just wait till he comes back, I give it 1 game before someone starts complaining about how terrible he is and we should trade him, regardless of how good or bad he looks.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby steelcity8687 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:04 pm

I am not begging for Whitney back. I just haven't seen him passing it to the other team yet this year, so I don't have much to say about him.

On the other hand, he was not a complete defensive liability when it mattered in the playoffs last year. So lets hope between that improved play and his new cryogenic foot, we will have a more promising player than we did last year.
steelcity8687
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby maudineormsby on Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:32 pm

steelcity8687 wrote:I am not begging for Whitney back. I just haven't seen him passing it to the other team yet this year, so I don't have much to say about him.

On the other hand, he was not a complete defensive liability when it mattered in the playoffs last year. So lets hope between that improved play and his new cryogenic foot, we will have a more promising player than we did last year.

Well... I AM begging for Whitney back. I miss his presence; I get all nervous when GoGo brings the puck into the offensive zone like he did against the Caps.
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:37 pm

If you're talking about the Boston game then no I was happy with the game.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:57 pm

steelcity8687 wrote: So lets hope between that improved play and his new cryogenic foot, we will have a more promising player than we did last year.

I am soooooo hoping he comes back with a machine gun foot. a la Rose McGowan in Planet Terror.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cthulhuchrist on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:16 pm

machine gun leg ftw
cthulhuchrist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins