This Is One of the Best Teams in the NHL

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

This Is One of the Best Teams in the NHL

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:04 am

7 games into the season. We are 4-2-1 with 9 points good for 2nd in the division and 5th in the conference. Our goal differential is +1. We have the 9th best PP and 10th best PK. The scoring leader resides on our team and his current linemate is tied for 3rd. All of this without our top 2 defensemen. It is VERY early into this season but I think we are one of the best teams in the NHL. That team just hasn't had the chance to come out yet.

There are several factors outside of skill that can determine the quality of hockey a team plays. 2 of those factors are chemistry and luck.

Luck certainly has not been on our side.
*We lose our #1 and #2 Dmen for significant periods of time to start the season. Talk about bad luck. Most teams would be happy with 1 win in 7 without their #1 and #2.
*2 own goals off of defensive sticks with plenty of other deflections toward the net. It's been pretty crazy to see the amount of pucks going off Penguin defenders towards their own net. Thankfully only 2 have gone in.
*Posts and desperation saves. Our top scorers have been plagued by hitting posts and goaltenders making amazing desperation saves (see CuJo on Malkin).
*Fans know that luck, as a part of the game, changes. A team usually does not experience bad luck all year. When it changes for the better, things speed up in a hurry.

The Chemistry will come
*There are 8 new faces on the team this year and 6 (off the top of my head) have departed from last years roster.
*We had a short training camp (10 days) before going to Sweeden. Not a lot of time to help gain some chemistry.
*The team has yet to embark on a good N. American road trip to do some bonding. I remember Sid saying last year that those trips were really good for team building.
*Satan still has 4 goals in 7 games on a new team. (oh and Hossa only has 1g so far)

I think that this team, once the luck changes and the chemistry clicks, will begin tearing up this league. We will only get better with the return of Whitney in December/January. We have points in 5 of 7 games already and if we can continue to gain points without our 2 best Dmen then we are in great shape to make the playoffs and welcome back a rested Gonchar for a playoff push. Yes, I do understand that Gonch won't be 100% until next season but having him out there will be a big lift to a team that should already be flying at the time.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: This Is One of the Best Teams in the NHL

Postby newarenanow on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:28 am

This is the worst team I have seen since 1983.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:30 am

Nice post. Optimism is nice.

The Pens have a penchant for making average goalies look like Vezina candidates.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby blackjack68 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:32 am

Yay us!
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:00 am

It's way to early to tell at this point. I would like to see how we hang with NYR or montreal at this point in the season. With an intact defense, I'd think that you'd have to list us at, or certainly near the top. Right now, our goaltending had been solid in every game, but we are still maddeningly inconsistent in every other aspect of our game. Part of this is waiting for the new faces to gel with the rest of the team, and another part of this is that we're throwing out a couple of inexperienced D-men to try to fill the shoes of a perrenial all-star. I think as-is, we're a pretty good team with some consistency problems, and a young defense. With Gonchar & Whit back, I don't really see any holes in our lineup.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:02 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Nice post. Optimism is nice.

The Pens have a penchant for making average goalies look like Vezina candidates.

*cough* Tim Thomas *cough*
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:12 am

Froggy wrote:It's way to early to tell at this point. I would like to see how we hang with NYR or montreal at this point in the season. With an intact defense, I'd think that you'd have to list us at, or certainly near the top. Right now, our goaltending had been solid in every game, but we are still maddeningly inconsistent in every other aspect of our game. Part of this is waiting for the new faces to gel with the rest of the team, and another part of this is that we're throwing out a couple of inexperienced D-men to try to fill the shoes of a perrenial all-star. I think as-is, we're a pretty good team with some consistency problems, and a young defense. With Gonchar & Whit back, I don't really see any holes in our lineup.

I see the Rangers are going to fall back to the pack...They are not an elite team offensively to not fall back to the pack...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pensfan20 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:20 am

Right now, we are a one line team. We are not getting ES goals from our 3 other lines. That, along with taking bad penalties, doesnt help us become the best in the league. Once we can get ES scoring help from the other 3 lines (acutally getting anything remotely good from the 4th line would be nice) it will make us that much tougher to defend.
Last night Boston did a great job shutting down Sid and Geno and we got a lucky bounce that ended up being Satan's goal. Boston out played us physically and seemed to own the neutral zone. This team has what it takes to be an elite team (any team with Geno and Sid have that ability) we just need our 2nd and 3rd line to contribute and we need more then 35 sec of ice time from our 4th line.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:24 am

The Rangers already are starting to have trouble scoring. I never bought that they're an elite team. They aren't going to be able to count on Aaron Voros to continue leading them in scoring. You could have never convinced me that a team that already had trouble scoring last year could lose Jagr and suddenly be a good offensive team with lesser players.

Anyway, the Pens are fine. They're a much more refined team now than they used to be. They're getting good PK. They're winning faceoffs. They're getting great goaltending. That's a trifecta that I never thought I'd see from the Pens. The fact that their biggest issue is scoring bodes very well for them because that's the area you know they're not going to struggle in long term. Once the offense takes off they're really going to be dangerous.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Doogs on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:40 am

blackjack68 wrote:Yay us!

QFT
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cthulhuchrist on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:45 am

I do find it amazing that yes we are so inconsistent every night. Something or another is always off whether it be defense even strength scoring or the powerplay. And despite all the inconsistency we are still winning the games. I look forward to the day when everything finally clicks and eventually we get our defensemen back.

I will say this though. I am extremely pleased with our PK and our goaltending. Fleury hasn't lost a step since last year and our PK is still in Playoff mode. And yay for Sabu!
cthulhuchrist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Doogs on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:49 am

We are a good team, and we're going to get better...yes, but we are CONSISTENTLY giving up leads and that is not good.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:03 pm

pensfan20 wrote: Last night Boston did a great job shutting down Sid and Geno and we got a lucky bounce that ended up being Satan's goal.

sid and geno had PLENTY of chances last night. just because they couldn't convert on most of them doesn't mean boston shut them down.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cthulhuchrist on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:05 pm

shmenguin wrote:
pensfan20 wrote: Last night Boston did a great job shutting down Sid and Geno and we got a lucky bounce that ended up being Satan's goal.

sid and geno had PLENTY of chances last night. just because they couldn't convert on most of them doesn't mean boston shut them down.

The were just stopped by the future Vezina winner Thomas. :D
cthulhuchrist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel87 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:33 pm

It's scary to think that they are one of the best teams in the NHL just based on their first 7 games. Because this team is only going to get better and better as the year goes on. If our opponents are worried about facing us so far, just wait until our lines click and we get Gonchar/Whitney back.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dman66 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:50 pm

Doogs wrote:We are a good team, and we're going to get better...yes, but we are CONSISTENTLY giving up leads and that is not good.

i know its of little consolation, being different teams and what not, but last years squad had a penchant for giving up leads all the time early in the season too. if they are giving up 3 goal leads in march and april, then we have a problem. otherwise, i say don't worry about it.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:51 pm

I didn't have to see them play to know that they were on of the best.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Why Not Us on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:51 pm

The way I look at things right now is it's great to have 4 wins in 7 games where six have been against a playoff team from last year.

What sucks is letting the other team get a point in 3 of those 4 wins.

That's either the Pens not being able to put teams away in 60 minutes or it's the parity Bettman & Co. are looking for.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guinness on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:59 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:7 games into the season. We are 4-2-1 with 9 points good for 2nd in the division and 5th in the conference. Our goal differential is +1. We have the 9th best PP and 10th best PK. The scoring leader resides on our team and his current linemate is tied for 3rd. All of this without our top 2 defensemen. It is VERY early into this season but I think we are one of the best teams in the NHL. That team just hasn't had the chance to come out yet.

There are several factors outside of skill that can determine the quality of hockey a team plays. 2 of those factors are chemistry and luck.

Luck certainly has not been on our side.
*We lose our #1 and #2 Dmen for significant periods of time to start the season. Talk about bad luck. Most teams would be happy with 1 win in 7 without their #1 and #2.
*2 own goals off of defensive sticks with plenty of other deflections toward the net. It's been pretty crazy to see the amount of pucks going off Penguin defenders towards their own net. Thankfully only 2 have gone in.
*Posts and desperation saves. Our top scorers have been plagued by hitting posts and goaltenders making amazing desperation saves (see CuJo on Malkin).
*Fans know that luck, as a part of the game, changes. A team usually does not experience bad luck all year. When it changes for the better, things speed up in a hurry.

The Chemistry will come
*There are 8 new faces on the team this year and 6 (off the top of my head) have departed from last years roster.
*We had a short training camp (10 days) before going to Sweeden. Not a lot of time to help gain some chemistry.
*The team has yet to embark on a good N. American road trip to do some bonding. I remember Sid saying last year that those trips were really good for team building.
*Satan still has 4 goals in 7 games on a new team. (oh and Hossa only has 1g so far)

I think that this team, once the luck changes and the chemistry clicks, will begin tearing up this league. We will only get better with the return of Whitney in December/January. We have points in 5 of 7 games already and if we can continue to gain points without our 2 best Dmen then we are in great shape to make the playoffs and welcome back a rested Gonchar for a playoff push. Yes, I do understand that Gonch won't be 100% until next season but having him out there will be a big lift to a team that should already be flying at the time.

POTW.

newarenanow wrote:This is the worst team I have seen since 1983.

POTMonth.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Noise on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:25 am

The Pens depth on defense is a huge +.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:01 am

That GoGo hasn't had a spate of mondo-gaffes is quite the +. Nice start for the kid.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:16 am

#1 reason in my opinion about why we are playing decent so far:

Brooks Orpik and Rob Scuderi are the same Brooks & Scuderi from the playoffs last year. I was worried about these 2 being the same old 2 players during the regular season. That playoff run changed them into better players. Orpik deserves to keep that A long term now, even though they said they will probably rotate the A's. I don't think its fair if Gonchar comes back with 20 games left in the season and takes the A off of Brooks.

EDIT: I guess I could throw MAF in here too. I knew he was a solid number 1, but he already carried us during that Devils game were we lost 2-1 in OT, when it could have easily been 5-1 devils. He looks like he is keeping the Playoffs form as well.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:01 am

when Gonchar comes back i would hope he would not worry about the A- id like to see Gonchar having it at home and Geno having it on the road or something like that. Orpik is the future and should have the A IMO
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby littlemoonboot on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:57 am

I love life.

And I love our team.

That's all I wanted to say. :D
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins