View from TD Banknorth last night

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

View from TD Banknorth last night

Postby RonSchock on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:10 am

Saw my first live Pens of the season, great game to watch, but 2 things jumped out:

Pens look skilled but soff, Godard's fight was good but meaningless, Pens were getting hammered/knocked off the puck the whole game. Didn't cost them last night but not good long term.

Staal needs a sports psychologist bad. Forget about the lack of finish, stupid penalties etc., his body language going to the box was shouting "Here I am the big screw-up again". Doesn't matter how bad the penalty, a player with confidence never looks like that.

Since it was the B's home opener not as much Penguin fan rep as usual, but the guy who won the seat upgrades had a Crosby jersey on
RonSchock

Re: View from TD Banknorth last night

Postby KG on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:12 am

Agreed on the physical part of your post. Pens have been pushed around this year early on...They are missing some grit and muscle from last years squad obviously.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Admin on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:24 am

RonSchock wrote:...Pens were getting hammered/knocked off the puck the whole game...

Milan. Lucic.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby KG on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:26 am

Admin wrote:
RonSchock wrote:...Pens were getting hammered/knocked off the puck the whole game...

Milan. Lucic.

He is a beast. Orpik wanted no part of him last night...Can't same I blame him...God of Thunder should have challenged him...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:43 am

KG wrote:
Admin wrote:

Milan. Lucic.

He is a beast. Orpik wanted no part of him last night...Can't same I blame him...God of Thunder should have challenged him...

We have a God of thunder? :)

Milan Lucic thankfully not the most accurate shot right now...as are most bruins shots.
With their trap, they will need goaltending and a few goals to win the tight games.
Chara didn't play an especially inspired game.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Paekman on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:45 am

Speaking to the soff-ness:

I'm certainly not saying that he's a top 6 forward or anything, but Biz Nasty played a very solid, physical game on the 4th line last night. I would actually like to see him get a bit more ice-time. Again, I'm not saying he's going to be a power forward for Sid or anything, but he's a tough customer and has more than enough skill, grit, toughness and skating ability to play a 4th line role for this club on a full-time basis.
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:53 am

He is a beast. Orpik wanted no part of him last night...Can't same I blame him...God of Thunder should have challenged him...[/quote]

We have a God of thunder? :)

Milan Lucic thankfully not the most accurate shot right now...as are most bruins shots.
With their trap, they will need goaltending and a few goals to win the tight games.
Chara didn't play an especially inspired game.[/quote]

As a life long Kiss fan. I am proud to use that nickname for Godard...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Stoosh on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:53 am

Paekman wrote:Speaking to the soff-ness:

I'm certainly not saying that he's a top 6 forward or anything, but Biz Nasty played a very solid, physical game on the 4th line last night. I would actually like to see him get a bit more ice-time. Again, I'm not saying he's going to be a power forward for Sid or anything, but he's a tough customer and has more than enough skill, grit, toughness and skating ability to play a 4th line role for this club on a full-time basis.

Hey, Gino Odjick used to play the other wing on Pavel Bure's line. I'm not sure I'd want to see Biz up there all the time, but once every few shifts wouldn't hurt. In fact, I remember seeing him out there with Satan a couple of times...might have been the way the line change worked out because I think it wasn't long after the Pens were coming off a PK, but still.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Burnaby_Joe on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:05 am

KG wrote:
Admin wrote:

Milan. Lucic.

Lucic is extremely overrated IMHO.........for some reason, he's been tagged as an savior of Boston hockey market, but besides couple of "street style" fights, I have yet to see something that justifies his glorification.............he was horrid with puck last night, and if you didn't notice, any time Savard went 2 on 2 with ML on his bank, he opted not to pass............
Burnaby_Joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mosby on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:38 am

RonSchock wrote:Pens look skilled but soff, Godard's fight was good but meaningless, Pens were getting hammered/knocked off the puck the whole game. Didn't cost them last night but not good long term.

Funny thing is that the official stats for the game have the hits even at 20 for each team. I looked to see if Boston fielded a physically bigger team. It wasn’t the case. It seemed as though the Boston checks were done with more authority and will good results. On the other hand, checks by Penguin players seem to be like a bumper car. We just bounce off the guy and don’t separate them from the puck.

When I think of being soff, I think of an unwillingness to compete for the puck. I think the Pens try. As a whole, I’ve never like the function strength of the team. I think the strength and conditioning program for the home growth players has been inadequate. There is a fine line with strength training for hockey players. You don’t want players to become too bulky and not have the flexibility needed to play the game. I just don’t see a lot of pop generated by Penguins during checks nor an ability to keep players pinned to the boards.
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:47 am

Lucic is extremely overrated IMHO.........for some reason, he's been tagged as an savior of Boston hockey market, but besides couple of "street style" fights, I have yet to see something that justifies his glorification.............he was horrid with puck last night, and if you didn't notice, any time Savard went 2 on 2 with ML on his bank, he opted not to pass............

It's Boston...if you hit people and fight, they love you. He shouldn't be getting more than 10 minutes a game in a 3rd/4th line role right now, he's not ready. Eaton completely owned him a few times to thwart their cycle.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Paekman on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:51 am

Mosby wrote:
RonSchock wrote:Pens look skilled but soff, Godard's fight was good but meaningless, Pens were getting hammered/knocked off the puck the whole game. Didn't cost them last night but not good long term.

Funny thing is that the official stats for the game have the hits even at 20 for each team. I looked to see if Boston fielded a physically bigger team. It wasn’t the case. It seemed as though the Boston checks were done with more authority and will good results. On the other hand, checks by Penguin players seem to be like a bumper car. We just bounce off the guy and don’t separate them from the puck.

When I think of being soff, I think of an unwillingness to compete for the puck. I think the Pens try. As a whole, I’ve never like the function strength of the team. I think the strength and conditioning program for the home growth players has been inadequate. There is a fine line with strength training for hockey players. You don’t want players to become too bulky and not have the flexibility needed to play the game. I just don’t see a lot of pop generated by Penguins during checks nor an ability to keep players pinned to the boards.

Compound that with the fact that most of the Penguins physical presence (checking wise) comes from smaller, quicker players anyway. Guys like Cooke, Talbot, Kennedy, Letang and Sid, play very physical hockey even though they don't have great size. That alone makes it tough on them to get posession or position after a check.

Bigger guys like Gill, Staal and Godard are not overly physical or at the very least, aren't big hitters. Gill is very skilled at the Kjell Samuelsson role of just riding a player off the puck. Godard doesn't have the agility to line up a big hit with any frequency. Staal is soff, but still growing into his frame. Sometimes he shows flashes of being a power forward, other times he gets knocked off the puck by a player who's 6 inches shorter and 50 pounds lighter than him.

Orpik, Biz and Fedotenko are really the only players that have a frame that matches their style of play. Lol.
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:08 pm

Paekman wrote:Speaking to the soff-ness:

He looks like a defenseman playing forward to me. Having said that, I'd much rather have him on the ice than Godard.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:09 pm

Paekman wrote:Compound that with the fact that most of the Penguins physical presence (checking wise) comes from smaller, quicker players anyway. Guys like Cooke, Talbot, Kennedy, Letang and Sid, play very physical hockey even though they don't have great size. That alone makes it tough on them to get posession or position after a check.

Bigger guys like Gill, Staal and Godard are not overly physical or at the very least, aren't big hitters. Gill is very skilled at the Kjell Samuelsson role of just riding a player off the puck. Godard doesn't have the agility to line up a big hit with any frequency. Staal is soff, but still growing into his frame. Sometimes he shows flashes of being a power forward, other times he gets knocked off the puck by a player who's 6 inches shorter and 50 pounds lighter than him.

Orpik, Biz and Fedotenko are really the only players that have a frame that matches their style of play. Lol.

Dupuis put a major thump on a B last night at the end of the 2nd period. I saw him play a lot in ATL and he hit much more than he has since arriving in Pittsburgh...dunno if it was because he's been on the #1 line mostly and didn't want to take himself out of the play with big hits, but dupuis is no stranger to the physical game and can dish it out when he wants to.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:35 pm

Not that I am advocating Evgeni turning goon like AO, :wink: but Geno can hit you high or low.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:39 pm

penny lane wrote:Not that I am advocating Evgeni turning goon like AO, :wink: but Geno can hit you high or low.

It was nice to see him go after Lucic after Lucic had a few good hits.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mosby on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:50 pm

pfim wrote:
penny lane wrote:Not that I am advocating Evgeni turning goon like AO, :wink: but Geno can hit you high or low.

It was nice to see him go after Lucic after Lucic had a few good hits.

Geno needs to gain weight....he's downright skinny. He should be at least north of 215 lbs by now with his height. He will continue to get run because it seems to be the most effective way to deal with him....wear him down physically and mentally.
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby doublewinder on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:42 pm

I was there too.
I thought the Pens again were outplayed in terms of puck possesion.
I don't why this has been the case for most of the season to date.
Danny played a very solid game...I am concerned with Crosby.
He didn't look like he was before last year's injury...I wonder if he is recovered.

I never have seen the Bruins have that intense a crowd, I would say it was 5% Pens fans.
What's the normal amount?
doublewinder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:06 pm

doublewinder wrote:I never have seen the Bruins have that intense a crowd, I would say it was 5% Pens fans.

:lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:08 am

doublewinder wrote:I was there too.
I thought the Pens again were outplayed in terms of puck possesion.
I don't why this has been the case for most of the season to date.
Danny played a very solid game...I am concerned with Crosby.
He didn't look like he was before last year's injury...I wonder if he is recovered.

I never have seen the Bruins have that intense a crowd, I would say it was 5% Pens fans.

Crosby had a head cold that game. And I still thought he looked pretty good. Not great.

Don't forget he got off to a fairly "slow" start last season too.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins