Prospect Update - Nick D'Agostino...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Prospect Update - Nick D'Agostino...

Postby Jesse on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:13 am

& others.

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/minor-lea ... er-edition

D'Agostino, selected in the 7th round last year, is turning a few heads with the OPJHL. He's got 16 in 16 and is dominating on the special teams aspect of the puck.

I interviewed this kid right after the draft, and he impressed the hell out of me. Smart, hard working, good head on his shoulders.

This could be a diamond in the rough pick. He's exhibiting a pedigree that most 7th rounders don't have. Add another two-way defenseman into the system.

Also includes updates on Nathan Moon (13 Pts - 11 GM) and Nick Johnson's first two in Wheeling are in the books. Nathan Moon, along with Ducks prospect Josh Brittain, is commandeering Kingston to a respectable franchise. He's coming off a 5 point weekend.

Wheeling is a good litmus test for Johnson. If he performs well there, he'll earn his spot in WB/S - with confidence.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Prospect Update - Nick D'Agostino...

Postby Kicksave on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:19 am

Good stuff, as always.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Paekman on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:20 am

Jesse,

Do you project Moon as a top 6 forward? Is he capable of playing wing?
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:23 am

Paekman.

I certainly do. He can play all three spots at forward, a relatively rare commodity. He's turning into Petr Sykora, sort of. He can float in the offensive zone and sneak into those soft spots to rip off one-timers. He's most comfortable with the man-advantage. Like I said, he stalks the puck like an animal.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mosby on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:20 pm

D'Agostino has had a growth spurt since he was drafted. At the draft he was listed at 6'1 177lbs. The St. Mikes website now lists his measurables as 6'3 192lbs.
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cthulhuchrist on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:23 pm

I'm just impressed in general with all our late round draft picks. Many are performing above what we expected. Good job Shero. Seems like that guy is determined to get at least one Zetterberg out of those drafts. It's good to here guys like D'Agostino are doing good. Maybe he heard about all the injuries and got extra motivated thinking he's got a shot on the team now.
cthulhuchrist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Member on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:28 pm

Jesse wrote:Paekman.

I certainly do. He can play all three spots at forward, a relatively rare commodity. He's turning into Petr Sykora, sort of. He can float in the offensive zone and sneak into those soft spots to rip off one-timers. He's most comfortable with the man-advantage. Like I said, he stalks the puck like an animal.

Wow! :shock:
If that's the case then Moon was a steal in the fourth.
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jesse on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:40 pm

No doubt, Member. Kingston really hurts the stock of these kids. A 2008 eligible guy Bobby Mignardi never got drafted, and a lot of people in Kingston thing it was because of the poor coaching that went on last year. Moon got a little lazy playing for a bad team and it affected his draft stock. We're talking about a kid that was ranked #74 by Central Scouting that we got at #120.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:49 pm

$$$.

It's my hobby, but it also costs money. You can get OHL/WHL video packages. Also, if you meet some people online that are nice enough to send you video for just the postage cost, that works too. I did that a lot with Kris Letang when he was in Val d'Or a few years ago.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:13 pm

I really don't appreciate you updating us on the prospects, I wish you'd stop.

Also, thanks a lot for the update.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jesse on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:13 pm

Zen, I haven't either. But WWGRD and eastonpensfan from this board have. They're good guys, so I bet if you PM'd them, they'd be happy to share their thoughts.

I'm with you on Pesonen. He's a good talent. Lets hope he lights it up and gets up here.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby purelebo84 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:44 pm

Paekman wrote:Purelebo84,

Do you project Moon as a top 6 forward? Is he capable of playing wing?

8-)

I've done a good bit of reading on him, and listened to two Fronts radio broadcasts, and he seems like he could definitely be a top six forward, yes. He's a two way player, and if necessary, he can certainly play the wing.

Everything Jesse said is on the money.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby WWGRD on Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:56 pm

ZenPenguin,

to answer your question about Pesonen, you're right, he has looked and played well so far in WBS. 6 points in 4 games. His 1 goal so far was a phenomenal breakaway.

He's been skating and stickhandling well, even trying to finish off some checks. I still think he could use some time to adjust to the North American game. In my eyes, he is the first forward call-up for the Pens (then Minard, Stone). I think he will play in the NHL this year - it's only a matter of time.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins