NHL Center Ice Package users

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

NHL Center Ice Package users

Postby Sabres_Fan on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:23 pm

Usually each game is broadcast on 2 different channels, 1 has the home team broadcasters and the other channel has the away team broadcasters. Is there a way to find out which broadcast is which before the actual start of the game? Reason being is I work at night and rather than record both channels which sometimes isnt possible I would like to just record the local Buffalo guys (RJ and Harry). I guess it could be Pens related too since Im sure others have the same question about the Pens broadcasts. Thanks
Sabres_Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Pittsburgh, pa (via Buffalo in a little town known as Pominville)

Re: NHL Center Ice Package users

Postby dagny on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:30 pm

They did dual broadcasts when CI first came out. I haven't seen them do it since, until this season.

After the day's games are over, the next days schedule is posted on the CI channels. It will tell you home and away broadcast, and which channels.

I never use the online CI schedule, but perhaps it's listed there ahead of time.
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:33 pm

For me, on one of the "default" channels...ya know, the ones that displays the schedule it will say something like this...

Game 3: Pittsburgh at Buffalo (A)
Game 9: Pittsburgh at Buffalo (H)

Where "channel 9" will be Buffalo's announcers and "channel 3" will be FSN Pittsburgh...not sure if that helps or not...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sabres_Fan on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:36 pm

I have direct tv and it gives no indication from what I can see
Sabres_Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:38 pm

Sabres_Fan wrote:I have direct tv and it gives no indication from what I can see

Ditto that. I have not been able to figure this out on DirecTV.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:44 pm

I take it back. It shows up here on the DirecTV web site.

Visiting Team vs. Home Team Time (ET) SD Channel HD Channel
Toronto Maple Leafs at Boston Bruins 7:00 pm 770 770-1
Dallas Stars at New York Islanders (Stars Feed) 7:00 pm 771 771-1
Dallas Stars at New York Islanders 7:00 pm 772 772-1
Carolina Hurricanes at Pittsburgh Penguins (Hurricanes Feed) 7:30 pm 773 773-1
Carolina Hurricanes at Pittsburgh Penguins (Penguins Feed) 7:30 pm 774 774-1
Calgary Flames at Nashville Predators 8:00 pm 775
Buffalo Sabres at Minnesota Wild 8:00 pm 776
Edmonton Oilers at Colorado Avalanche 9:30 pm 777 777-1
Washington Capitals at Phoenix Coyotes (Capitals Feed) 10:00 pm 778 778-1
Washington Capitals at Phoenix Coyotes (Coyotes Feed) 10:00 pm 779 779-1
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dagny on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:46 pm

Sabres_Fan wrote:I have direct tv and it gives no indication from what I can see

I have cable, but many years ago I had directv. I don't remember how, but I was able to schedule recordings ahead of time.

What does it show on the CI channels when there are no games on?

Also, for me, the first channel in the lineup of CI channels is completely different than the others; i.e., mine are 700 through 710, ch. 700 has different info broadcast.

Have you checked these?
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sabres_Fan on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:51 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:I take it back. It shows up here on the DirecTV web site.

Visiting Team vs. Home Team Time (ET) SD Channel HD Channel
Toronto Maple Leafs at Boston Bruins 7:00 pm 770 770-1
Dallas Stars at New York Islanders (Stars Feed) 7:00 pm 771 771-1
Dallas Stars at New York Islanders 7:00 pm 772 772-1
Carolina Hurricanes at Pittsburgh Penguins (Hurricanes Feed) 7:30 pm 773 773-1
Carolina Hurricanes at Pittsburgh Penguins (Penguins Feed) 7:30 pm 774 774-1
Calgary Flames at Nashville Predators 8:00 pm 775
Buffalo Sabres at Minnesota Wild 8:00 pm 776
Edmonton Oilers at Colorado Avalanche 9:30 pm 777 777-1
Washington Capitals at Phoenix Coyotes (Capitals Feed) 10:00 pm 778 778-1
Washington Capitals at Phoenix Coyotes (Coyotes Feed) 10:00 pm 779 779-1

Yeah but it doesnt show for every game... For example, todays games has Buff and Bos on 2 different channels (which arent even CI channels since mine are channels 700+) It still doesnt have the home and away feeds
Sabres_Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby AricM on Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:53 pm

I'm sure it's different for each provider, but it appears we are talking about Directv, which I have.

I've found that the away feed is listed first and the home feed second. So in the guide you would see something like this...

771 - Sabres @ Penguins
772 - Sabres @ Penguins

771 would be the away teams feed and 772 the home teams feed.

I'm not sure why they list the game on 215 tonight. I checked the TV listings and it's on VS. channel 603 (HD ch. 604)
AricM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sabres_Fan on Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:00 pm

AricM wrote:I'm sure it's different for each provider, but it appears we are talking about Directv, which I have.

I've found that the away feed is listed first and the home feed second. So in the guide you would see something like this...

771 - Sabres @ Penguins
772 - Sabres @ Penguins

771 would be the away teams feed and 772 the home teams feed.

I'm not sure why they list the game on 215 tonight. I checked the TV listings and it's on VS. channel 603 (HD ch. 604)

Hmmmmm I'll try that 1. Thanks man hope it works. Yeah I knew 2day was a VS game but was curious about the rest of the games
Sabres_Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sieve70 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:15 pm

I'm a Direct TV Center Ice user as well, and I have this page bookmarked for reference:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/co ... Id=1100048

Since I started using this at the beginning of last season, it's always shown who's feed it is whenever there is dual broadcasts...
Sieve70
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby AricM on Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:15 pm

Sabres_Fan wrote:Hmmmmm I'll try that 1. Thanks man hope it works. Yeah I knew 2day was a VS game but was curious about the rest of the games

You could also record the regional sports network channel feed in the 600s. For example last night if you wanted to record the Bruins feed, you could set your DVR to record channel 628 for NESN, or 659 for FSN PIttsburgh. Those channels are just mapped to the Center Ice 700 channels.
AricM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:21 am

AricM wrote:
You could also record the regional sports network channel feed in the 600s. For example last night if you wanted to record the Bruins feed, you could set your DVR to record channel 628 for NESN, or 659 for FSN PIttsburgh. Those channels are just mapped to the Center Ice 700 channels.

Does this work if you don't subscribe to the regional sports package?
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sieve70 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:13 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
AricM wrote:

While I subscribe to the sports package, I have never tried this, as the wife-to-be would kill me if I failed to record a game! LOL

I'm going to track the comment above that the first channel of a dual broadcast is always the visiting team, as that would eliminate step #1 below of my pre-game (usually the day before) procedure below:

1. Go to Direct TV's schedule for Center Ice and get the channel #
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/co ... Id=1100048

2. Go to Direct TV's TV schedule page and use it's ability to tell my TiVo to record the game / correct channel
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/epg/theGuide.jsp
(It's the "Record to Receiver" option in the program details on this page)
Sieve70
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Tinker on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:38 pm

If you are a cable CI person, the following has the schedule and shows carrier, although it seems like they are not showing anything different (same carrier for both broadcasts.)
Tinker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:40 pm

I usually watch it on the channel that it is being broadcast.

So, if the Sabres are on MSG tonight, I would put it on the MSG channel thru the box. They turn on those channels (if u dont have the sports package) while the games are on.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AricM on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:43 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:Does this work if you don't subscribe to the regional sports package?

If you have Center Ice these channels will go live at exactly 7 or 7:30, whatever the game start time is.

Kinda off topic but I really wish FSN PIttsburgh would cover a game like MSG does. They actually have a sit down interview with a player between periods and Al Trautwig ask more than the "What do you guys have to do to keep this lead going into the 3rd period" type questions. I know NY is a huge market and money isn't an object, but I find myself watching the Rangers more often just because of their great coverage. They even covered all of the Rangers preseason games in Europe in HD. Ah well, that my rant for today.
AricM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jimjom on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:52 pm

I have that song that plays before/after/all day when games aren't on burned into my head.

DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN <riff>, repeat
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocket_Tocchet on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:31 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
AricM wrote:

Yes, RSN channels were coming through for me during game times as of a week or so ago and I don't subscribe to the sports pack anymore. I'd assume it's still the case although I haven't checked since then. Obviously you still need to subscribe to Center Ice though, but not the sports pack.
Rocket_Tocchet
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sieve70 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:29 pm

After further review (yes, I'm a Packers fan, so this phrase is dear to our hearts against Chicago!) - I have one point of interest to add to this discussion:

For tomorrow night:

If you schedule your recording for the FSN-Pittsburgh, the recording will be from 7:30pm-10:00pm...

If you schedule your recording for the Center Ice channel, the recording will be from 7:30pm-1:30am...

The recording will stop when the broadcast stops, so it will not record "blank" airtime... however, if the game runs over for any reason, you will miss the end if you set the recording for the FSN-Pittsburgh channel... This should not happen if you set the recording to the CI channel set to record to 1:30am...

IMHO - be safe, and don't tempt the wrath of the Mrs, and miss recording the end of the game! ;)

(Last sub-note for reference - due to the timezone difference, and our preference to fast-forward through commercials, we always record and start watching the game about an hour late; however, this is even more important if you have to watch in true "tape delay" mode)
Sieve70
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby eberhard on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:57 am

I despise managing my DTV subscription schedule. I wish the software was sophisticated enough to allow users to simply add what TiVO calls a season pass. It would be complex for them to administer, but valuable to customers.
eberhard
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins