muscle on the PP?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: muscle on the PP?

Postby NickDaves83 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:42 am

At the moment with Goligoski and Letang on the back end we don't shoot from the point. So using snipers with Sid's passing is the smart way to play.

Of course when Gonchar returns the issue of not having any traffic infront may present itself. Hopfuly by then Staal or Fedetenko who are the two best candidates for this role on the team have remembered how to play hockey.
NickDaves83
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Eismann on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:02 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I haven't missed him at all. I haven't thought about him once during a game in fact.

That.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:03 am

Or: Get Pat Falloon and/or Rene Corbet back.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:17 am

I miss malone of last year on the 2nd line...better hands and stronger physical presence than J Staal at this time.

Like staal isn't scoring , i guess it is taking ryan malone time also. Everything doesn't happen in an instant.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:46 am

I don't miss Malone at all. He got his big contract and now he's back to being the old Ryan Malone who shows up whenever he feels like it.

Right now, stats-wise, they aren't "missing" anybody. But over the long haul, they will miss Gonchar and Whitney much more than they will miss Malone. That being said, my ideal PP does have a big body in front. But unless and until Staal shows he can do it, then you might as well put all your skilled guys out there and go "pretty."
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:57 am

the PP will click with or without a malone-esque player. satan is picking up the scraps very well (and don't even bring up ouellet as comparison - when he wasn't shooting, he was turning the puck over on the boards. at least miro doesn't crap himself whenever he has to stickhandle).

i'm not gonna jump on the "so and so left the team so he's now a bastard" bandwagon so i admit...i miss malone. he was great last year and would really help on the 2nd line. i wish him well.

...but no way does he deserve that contract, so i'm glad we didn't give it to him.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby helmespc on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:15 am

We're just spoiled by having watched, from a talent standpoint, one of the best power play units ever assembled for the last part of last year. We lost 3 out of 5 of our top playoff powerplay line... things are just going to be run a little differently without Hossa, Gonchar, and Malone. I'd say they're doing alright now that they've gotten used to each other.
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby spi on Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:00 pm

2 years ago Malone was this boards poster boy for unrealized potential. Many wanted to trade him immediately. Staal has been awful so far and for the most part he has not looked like he wants to play in the tough parts of the ice, but he will learn that those are the areas he will score goals. Just like Bugsy finally realized last year. Staal is not going to score goals with his :lol: blistering shot :lol: but right now, that is how he is trying to score.

Dont give up on the kid. Hopefully a little brotherly rivalry will elevate his game and give him some confidence.
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:02 pm

^^ The Staals are brothers?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:08 pm

Considering our top PP unit last season was Gonchar/Whitney/ Malkin/Crosby/Sykora then Hossa, I'm not sure why we miss Malone on the powerplay so much.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:14 pm

Pitts wrote:Considering our top PP unit last season was Gonchar/Whitney/ Malkin/Crosby/Sykora then Hossa, I'm not sure why we miss Malone on the powerplay so much.

The PP was at its best when malone was in front of the net. This is misleading.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:47 pm

Pitts wrote:Considering our top PP unit last season was Gonchar/Whitney/ Malkin/Crosby/Sykora then Hossa.

not really.

when sid was out, it was sarge/whit/geno/sykora/malone (and it was sarge/geno/sid/hossa/malone in the playoffs, wasn't it?), so it's fair to say malone was a big part of our PP last year.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Corvidae on Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:09 pm

NickDaves83 wrote:At the moment with Goligoski and Letang on the back end we don't shoot from the point. So using snipers with Sid's passing is the smart way to play.

Of course when Gonchar returns the issue of not having any traffic infront may present itself. Hopfuly by then Staal or Fedetenko who are the two best candidates for this role on the team have remembered how to play hockey.

I agree with all of this.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby LdubsRoot23 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:13 pm

penny lane wrote: Everything doesn't happen in an instant.

The Veruca Salts of LGP don't want to hear this type of non-sense.
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:28 pm

penny lane wrote:Everything doesn't happen in an instant.

Some things do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7S9oRoqfMA
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:34 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:That being said, my ideal PP does have a big body in front. But unless and until Staal shows he can do it, then you might as well put all your skilled guys out there and go "pretty."

I agree. In my time coaching and playing, there was ALWAYS a big guy (or at least a mock big guy) to play in front on the PP. But I applaud MT for doing something different. I guess it doesn't hurt to have Geno blasting from the point, Sid controlling the right side, Goligoski covering the open area at point, Sykora lurking in the slot, and Satan waiting for the cross ice passes and clean up around the net. Gives the defense a little more to think about... and it's working.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:28 pm

So are we still firing Mike Yeo, or what's the latest with that?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:56 am

meecrofilm wrote:So are we still firing Mike Yeo, or what's the latest with that?

Next time the Pens go 0 for 5 on the PP in a game, you can break it back out. I'm surprised people aren't up in arms... the PP is working, but we still aren't at the 30%+ that this team should rightfully be at, and we definitely aren't #1 right now. Unacceptable.

PS - I still don't miss Malone. Or Hall or Roberts or Ruutu or Laraque. I rather enjoy our team of pansies.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins