Official GDT - 10/23/08 - Hurricanes -vs- Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT - 10/23/08 - Hurricanes -vs- Penguins

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:29 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Well, even with our two best d-men out, the team is still playing great defense.

Where are all the Therrien haters now when we see the system work to perfection?

Our goalies continue to look great.

And Gill was out today, too!
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Stan Potash on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:30 pm

I love how even our own announcers refuse to call our neutral zone "system" anything but a trap. it's the pens playing their "neutral zone...........system... to perfection." yeah, that neutral zone trapping type of system.
Stan Potash
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:35 pm

Great win tonight. Started off slow, but nice win.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wallflower on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:20 pm

I think I may have been watching a different game than some people - I thought the Pens were very good the entire game. If they play like this more often than not, they're going to win a lot of games. The first period was a little shaky at moments but the effort overall was excellent.

Really, Leighton kept the Canes in the game much longer than they should've been. The same could be said for Fleury in the first period though too - if he doesn't make a couple of those saves, it's a different game.

The second line was fantastic. They completely took the game over part way into the second with that one shift. The way Fedotenko & Staal were playing I knew they were going to get at least a goal between them eventually. (Jordan definitely got the better of this sibling battle - he looked great and Eric was a nonfactor.)

Bissonnette was a beast in his fight. Godard...not so much. I hope Bob Smizik wasn't at the game - all that awful fighting offending his delicate sensibilities.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wallflower on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:22 pm

Oh and great GDT, Kicksave.

(The Wiggles picture put it over the top, IMO.)
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:22 pm

wallflower wrote:I think I may have been watching a different game than some people - I thought the Pens were very good the entire game. If they play like this more often than not, they're going to win a lot of games. The first period was a little shaky at moments but the effort overall was excellent.

Really, Leighton kept the Canes in the game much longer than they should've been. The same could be said for Fleury in the first period though too - if he doesn't make a couple of those saves, it's a different game.

The second line was fantastic. They completely took the game over part way into the second with that one shift. The way Fedotenko & Staal were playing I knew they were going to get at least a goal between them eventually. (Jordan definitely got the better of this sibling battle - he looked great and Eric was a nonfactor.)

Bissonnette was a beast in his fight. Godard...not so much. I hope Bob Smizik wasn't at the game - all that awful fighting offending his delicate sensibilities.

I agree for the most part. They were dismal for the first half a period or so, but then pretty much controlled the rest of the game. Staal and his line played the best game start to finish, though Malkin took over for a while in the third.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:43 pm

You'd think the Pens played a bad game until the third if all you judge a game by is scoring goals. They started taking over the game in the second and you knew they were going to win it if they kept playing that way in the third, and they did. Leighton was awesome but you can only hold on for so long. The Pens easily could have had another three or four goals.

This team will be at the top of the standings if they continue to keep the puck out of the net like they are. It's only a matter of time before the offense is consistently getting it done. This is a very good team that will get better as they develop more chemistry.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:07 am

I was watching the town hall meeting on pens tv and it was interesting to hear Brooks talk about how little practice time they were able to have as a team and just before that trip to Sweden, and with so many new guys to adjust this year I would say we are doing very well, all things considered. Maybe it's to be expected because of our level of talent, but still -- I feel very good about things right now. :)
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:03 am

farnham16 wrote:
DelPen wrote:Staal had one hell of a 3rd period. He was able to dictate the play in the Canes end with Tank. I really think if you add Kennedy to that line we have a very good shut down line that will score a few goals but will almost never give one up.

I still don't like Crosby and Malkin together as it wastes those two as well as Satan and Sykora. Talbot can play with Malkin and we would have balance.

I agree, Malkin won't and shouldn't be with Sid too much longer. I think it was a good idea to get the teams offensive confidence going though.

I would like to see:

Dupuis Crosby Satan
Talbot Malkin Sykora
Feds Staal Kennedy
Cooke Zigomantis Godard

I agree,that move with Geno and Sid was a good move to steam up some confidence for players,now we should break them up. Lines that you wrote are pretty much okey,but Feds and Max will probably exchange spots..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:27 am

Anyone else have to hear the Canes feed last night? They were actually good. I was surprised.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:44 am

DelPen wrote:Anyone else have to hear the Canes feed last night? They were actually good. I was surprised.

John Forslund is excellent, that Trip Tracy guy gets a little whiny for my tastes...but they are generally good overall. I watched the FSN Sopcast feed.

I managed to miss all five goals being scored because I was on baby duty last night. Shortly before every goal, the little bugger would start to cry. I would go get him, settle him down, and someone would score a goal. I was changing a diaper for MAF's and Geno's empty netters.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:55 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
DelPen wrote:Anyone else have to hear the Canes feed last night? They were actually good. I was surprised.

John Forslund is excellent, that Trip Tracy guy gets a little whiny for my tastes...but they are generally good overall. I watched the FSN Sopcast feed.

I managed to miss all five goals being scored because I was on baby duty last night. Shortly before every goal, the little bugger would start to cry. I would go get him, settle him down, and someone would score a goal. I was changing a diaper for MAF's and Geno's empty netters.

You need to get some wireless internet so you can have the game on in the baby room!
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:19 am

Michael Leighton reminded me of the early-early Marc Andre Fluery~ great saves through 2 and half periods but couldn't maintain for the entire game.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:43 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

You need to get some wireless internet so you can have the game on in the baby room!

Yeah, we have wireless but I have to find somewhere in his room to put the laptop. Weekend project, ftw.

His timing was impeccable last night -- he takes after his mother, who tolerates hockey. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins