One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby purelebo84 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:05 pm

Tonight, the Igloo was absolutely rocking.

One of best NON-PLAYOFF atmospheres in a while. (happy?)

Even with the Pens down and unable to beat Leighton for two and a half periods, the fans never stopped screaming, and I could barely hear myself talking. The wave got going in the third period, too.

When Malkin/Crosby scored to tie the game, it was one of the top three loudest moments at Mellon Arena I've ever heard.

It really was a playoff-like atmosphere tonight, though, and it made it lots of fun.

Just sayin'.
Last edited by purelebo84 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:07 pm

I thought they kinda sucked till the pens started trying.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby marek on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:14 pm

i personally LOVE the atmosphere of a sold out holiday crowd :) obvious touch of sarcasm there
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:16 pm

hyde wrote:You obviously have never been to a playoff game.

I have definitely been to a playoff game.

I meant to exclude those. Sorry, i'll fix it.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beech_is_God on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:21 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I thought they kinda sucked till the pens started trying.

Yup. The first period was extremely quiet. I sit in C1 and usually can't hear players yelling on the ice (linesmen are a different story) but it was so quiet I could hear Sid yelling "go go go!" It started picking up in the 2nd though and was good from there on.
Beech_is_God
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:17 am

I got that impression from my lofty seat in my living room. It's shocking to know the fans got into it when the play good interesting.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:19 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:

I got that impression from my lofty seat in my living room. It's shocking to know the fans got into it when the play good interesting.

I'm not saying they were wrong, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking the fans were going nuts the whole game. I was in the middle of the crowd and it was pretty silent for quite a while.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:21 am

Well I'd guess some of the extra loudness in the latter parts of the game could be attributed to this being one of the student rush games, but. I'm not sure -- just how many tickets were available for student rush tonight?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Why So Serious? on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:22 am

meecrofilm wrote:Well I'd guess some of the extra loudness in the latter parts of the game could be attributed to this being one of the student rush games, but. I'm not sure -- just how many tickets were available for student rush tonight?

I believe 600.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:23 am

Why So Serious? wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:Well I'd guess some of the extra loudness in the latter parts of the game could be attributed to this being one of the student rush games, but. I'm not sure -- just how many tickets were available for student rush tonight?

I believe 600.

Yeah, 600.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby D-Block Pens Fan on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:28 am

Always exciting when the Pens come from behind. One of the most exciting moments was when the entire arena cheered as Fluery came close to scoring an empty-netter.

It was a great night overall. Talbot and Fedotenko both getting their first goals of the season.
D-Block Pens Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:29 am

I wanted Fleury to score SOOO badly.

He's gunning for it. It'll happen by season's end.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pensfan20 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:32 am

Definately quiet during the first 2 periods, then once Geno.. ahh i mean Sid scored the tieing goal, the crowd got into it and didnt stop. There were 2 or 3 moments where the 3rd line had a great shift and the fans starting cheering. Then it got real quiet with 2 mins left in the 3rd when half the arena LEFT. ARRGGGG that boils my blood. If you arent going to watch the entire game, give your tickets to someone who will....
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Senka on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:17 am

students bring the noise. end.

season tickets and CEO's in suits do nothing but golf clap. They could care less. Games of years past were rockin too. Maybe not playoff level, but awesome nonetheless.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:20 am

Senka wrote:students bring the noise. end.

season tickets and CEO's in suits do nothing but golf clap. They could care less. Games of years past were rockin too. Maybe not playoff level, but awesome nonetheless.

The students didn't create the excess noise, it doesn't take that long to get your tickets and get to your seats. People didn't get loud till the pens started paying well.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The U on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:23 am

Yeah, it was a library in the 1st but the pens were rather lifeless. When they start rolling and playing with energy and emotion, the crowd follows. That's to be expected ruing a regular season game against a non-rival.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dagny on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:54 am

All I know is, through the tv, the crowd did make an impression on me.

I don't remember exactly when during the game, but I do remember there were many moments (with the game in the background as I turned to look at the gdt), even before we scored, that the sound of the crowd, sometimes chants, would bring a smile to my face. I also remember just thinking to myself, a couple of times, how awesome the crowd sounded.
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Why Not Us on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:27 am

A good majority of the crowd left with 2:48 to play tonight. Surprising since it's generally between 5-8:00 left to go that the 'real fans' filter out. I can't stand people leaving early during a close game.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:30 am

It was like a morgue until the late in the second period, actually.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:59 am

meecrofilm wrote:I wanted Fleury to score SOOO badly.

He's gunning for it. It'll happen by season's end.

The place would have erupted if that puck went in the net.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Spikey on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:04 am

I didn't think it was anything special at all until the third period. In fact, my friend and I commented to each other how quiet the first two periods were. There were times when I could hear the players yelling on the ice, and I sit toward the back of D.

Senka wrote:season tickets and CEO's in suits do nothing but golf clap. They could care less.

:roll:
Yes. The only people who care about hockey in Pittsburgh are the students. The only people who clap and cheer are the students. The rest of us are just throwing thousands of dollars away each year for the opportunity to buy overpriced beer and use dirty restrooms. I mean, half the time we don't even watch the game!
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eastonpensfan on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:38 am

purelebo84 wrote:Tonight, the Igloo was absolutely rocking.

One of best NON-PLAYOFF atmospheres in a while. (happy?)

Even with the Pens down and unable to beat Leighton for two and a half periods, the fans never stopped screaming, and I could barely hear myself talking. The wave got going in the third period, too.

When Malkin/Crosby scored to tie the game, it was one of the top three loudest moments at Mellon Arena I've ever heard.

It really was a playoff-like atmosphere tonight, though, and it made it lots of fun.

Just sayin'.

My favorite atmosphere at a Pens game... 3/8/07... Mario was in the "last ditch" meeting with Fast Eddie. There were "---- no KC" chants, game went to a shootout, just an all-around rocking time.
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:16 am

penguin crowds always get worked up by goals scored ~ having the goals come so close together~ it was a frenzy. In october we can't get to May hockey, so last night's game was just fun.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:46 am

I have to disagree with you Eismann and bill from turtle creek and backup Senka. With a slightly different argument.

No, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying season ticket holders aren't amazing fans. I'm not saying CEO's don't care. However as a former student rusher of 2005-06, and 2006-07 (until mid season) I have to give input on what Senka is saying.

2 years ago when I was student rushing, the whole side where the pens shoot once was almost all students. Everytime we started a chant it was so loud. It was intense. There is no way 40-year old season ticket holders scream and get as wild as students. For one, they are just more mature which is a fact of life. There is a lot of crazy 40 year olds that drink and can only afford F seats that are pretty crazy and awesome as well.

However from what I've seen most of the people that sit up close now are richer older people who bought season tickets again in early 06-07 when the Pens started getting REALLY exciting again.

I was the guy who got on Versus, with face paint, yellow wig, my classic Lemieux jersey, and me and my friend were SCREAMING Lets-go-Pens at the camera, and almost nobody around us was getting up and chanting with us. This is something that would have been 100% different in a section full of students. My seats were section A, row C. On the side the Pens shoot twice.

Then something happened that complete shocked, and honestly almost disgusted me as a Penguins fan. A couple ( a nice couple, don't get me wrong. ) A couple of older people, they literally had to be 55-60 years old who had glass seats GOT UP AT LEFT THE GAME WITH 9:47 IN THE 3RD PERIOD WITH THE SCORE TIED 2-2 AGAINST THE FLYERS. I asked them as they walked up to leave, can I sit there and they said sure we are leaving....

I talked to the guy that normally sits besides them and he said they leave every game with about 10 mintues left when its close to 10PM. It really made me upset. I've stood countless hours in student rush, and being a student myself I didn't have the money to put out for season tickets. Don't get me wrong this old couple might have be season ticket holders for 30 years. I don't know that, but for them to just leave GLASS SEATS in the 3rd people of every game, when there is DIEHARD fans out there just sickens me.

20 Minutes later Dupuis buried it 10 ft from my face, I might have been the first person to see it go in. I at least had one of the best views.

Now Eismann & Bill. I don't know you guys so I respect your opinions, however it sounds like you might be a bit older then the average student age. However you need to see Mine & Senka's point of view. There is no doubt that there are great older fans, however I disagree that they can be louder and crazier then a group of students.

For Playoffs the atmosphere will always be there, but the regular seasons aren't the same to me (a student) as it was last year with a couple thousand of student rushers. It almost sickens me that once we finally get good, all these dads / older folk with money come walking up and push me out of line with their fat wallets. I just graduated and now I have money, with a huge pens waiting list. I missed out on my season tickets by 2 years.

Like I said, I understand your viewpoint, but I fully back up Senka in this situation as I've seen it first hand.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:50 am

Have you considered that maybe this older couple can't deal with the huge crowds going down the escalators or the stairs, particularly given how pushy and rude people are at those escalators? I personally know of a few older people who always leave big public events early because of this. They need to have a little bit of time and space to maneuver. The alternative would be for them to wait in their seats until everybody else has left.

Not sure if this is the case, but just saying. Don't presume you know all the facts.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins