One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby newarenanow on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:59 am

Nizzy, as a former student rusher (back in 2000 2001 2002) I used to love to get seats down by the glass for $20. It kind of sucked because no one was really in the arena at the tail end because they were so bad, so I didn't get to enjoy the whole crazy college crowd situation. But yes, college kids and younger adults to bring an extra element to the game day atmosphere. But unfortunately, if the Pens want to keep this team together, they have to cut out the cheap tickets and sell them to someone that is going to pay full price. It's nice that they have set aside tickets for a few games to keep this going, but with the demand and the team they have, they just can't do it.

To me though, if a person wants to leave early, that is their loss. But they paid for the ticket, so they can do whatever they want. I never leave until the final buzzer for anything, football, basketball, baseball, hockey. Because those are usually when the best moments occur.

It kind of sucks you can't sell to all the students anymore, but it is a business. But I agree, they definitely add to the atmopshere. I just turned 30, and my buddies and I still get a little crazy, but not like we did 5-10 years ago.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,307
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby newarenanow on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:02 am

BTW, I know a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon for the season tickets when the team got good, but so did the students.

When I did the student rush when the team sucked, you didn't have to go down and camp out the night before. You just walked up 10 minutes before game time and bought the ticket.

The students did jump on a little earlier than us common folk, but they are the exact same as regular ticket buyers. I used to have to beg my buddies to come down to the arena with me to go to a game back in the crappy days.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,307
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby Nizzy on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:07 am

bill from turtle creek wrote:Have you considered that maybe this older couple can't deal with the huge crowds going down the escalators or the stairs, particularly given how pushy and rude people are at those escalators? I personally know of a few older people who always leave big public events early because of this. They need to have a little bit of time and space to maneuver. The alternative would be for them to wait in their seats until everybody else has left.

Not sure if this is the case, but just saying. Don't presume you know all the facts.


Good point, and don't get me wrong they looked like a nice couple. I had nothing bad to say about them personally. Now you bring up a good point, but if you are that old why would you want to sit that close? Why not sit back more where it might be more relaxed for you, then seeing hockey players slammed infront of the glass right infront of you all night.

Another point again is, there is a good chance that they have been season ticket holders for multiple years. Who am I, a 21 year old to say that they can't sit there. Older couples tend to wear regular clothes, and don't seem to be as pumped as younger students with their jerseys and attire and what-not.

Even if it takes them a long time to get out, in a 2-2 tied game (where fans showed no sign of leaving), why leave with half the 3rd left? I can understand 5 minutes. But come on man. A Flyers game? How can you just leave a glass seats like that.

I just think I have too much passion at the games and to see this stuff bothers me. In addition pregame they were reading the paper like on a Sunday morning. I'm not trying to talk down on them once again, but I mean come on.. when I go to a pens game its for the Penguins. My only logical explainion is that they have done it for so long that nothing there really interests them / phases them anymore.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,596
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby newarenanow on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:14 am

Nizzy, different people approach the game in different ways, and enjoy it in different ways. Someone can be just as passionate, but not get all crazy, dress up, and scream the whole game.

Plus, when I was 20, 21, 22, I did the same thing you are doing. I'd get all crazy, pumped up, etc, but as I get older, you really don't do that as much. I used to look around and wonder why people weren't as crazy as me. Like I said, I just turned 30, and still get pumped up, but now I'm understanding, in 30 years from now when I'm 60, I'm not going to be doing the same thing I am doing now. I'll probably go to the games, enjoy it as much as I do now, but not get as crazy.

It is just life. Plus, everyone is different. It doesn't bother me in the least bit.

The only time it bothers me when people leave early is if they Pens (or insert team here) are losing, the person is ******** the whole game how the team stinks, they hate them, etc, etc, and they leave, only to miss a great comeback. But that is their loss.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,307
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby Spikey on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:23 am

So basically the assertion is that jumping around, screaming, and face painting somehow makes a person more deserving of a ticket than someone who is older and quieter, but has been a STH for 20+ years? Who is more of a die hard fan in that scenario?

I like the student rush program. I think it's a cool way to attract younger fans. But there seems to be a certain attitude among some of the student rushers that they are better fans than everyone else or that they are owed something by the Pens organization for coming down to the arena during the down years. Guess what? There were other people there, too. And some of us were paying full price to watch Ramzi Abid and Rico Fata dazzle us with their skills, so let's not get into the whole debate on who is a better fan, because the whole argument is retarded. Without season ticket holders and CEOs, there would be no team. Or they would be in Kansas City.

The "those people are taking tickets away from die hard fans" argument doesn't really wash anymore with me, either. Not all of the games this season have been complete SRO sellouts. In fact, the Flyers game wasn't. If there were that many rabid fans beating down the door to get in, there wouldn't be a ticket to be found anywhere.

I'm really not trying to argue on the internet here, I just find this whole "STHs are teh boring!!!" attitude annoying and bewildering. I probably get more offended by this than I should.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,658
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:56 am
Location: North Fayette

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby Nizzy on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:32 am

good points, not disgreeing with anything you guys are saying about its a business, the STH's put the money for the franchise is 100% true. They payed for it they can do what they want. My argument relies on my opinion about how Students are much more intense at games then older STH's. That is all, and its my final statement on the issue.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,596
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby newarenanow on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:43 am

Nizzy wrote:good points, not disgreeing with anything you guys are saying about its a business, the STH's put the money for the franchise is 100% true. They payed for it they can do what they want. My argument relies on my opinion about how Students are much more intense at games then older STH's. That is all, and its my final statement on the issue.


I will agree, students are much more intense at games, any games than the older crowd. It is youth, and it is what they do. Doesn't mean other people don't deserve the tickets though and are worse fans.

I wish more Pitt students would go to Pitt FB games. It would make the atmopshere 10Xs better.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,307
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby sj? on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:44 am

bill from turtle creek wrote:It was like a morgue until the late in the second period, actually.


Thought the same here .. my friend wasn't feeling well ..
almost dozed off during the first .. crowd didn't pick up until late in the second when the Pens finally woke up .. :wink:
sj?
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,670
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:05 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby Eismann on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:48 am

Nizzy wrote:Now Eismann & Bill. I don't know you guys so I respect your opinions, however it sounds like you might be a bit older then the average student age. However you need to see Mine & Senka's point of view. There is no doubt that there are great older fans, however I disagree that they can be louder and crazier then a group of students.


As I found out this year, I was known as "The Angry Man" during the down years and "The Fan" during the good due to my vociferousness. Still, that's not what upset me.

As I clearly stated, it was the "could care less" comment. Had he stopped at the loudness aspect of fandom, I'd have had little issue. But to state that we sths, who have paid to see great hockey as well as Kelly Buchberger, "could care less" is not only immeasurably stupid, it's a direct shot and needed to be called out.
Last edited by Eismann on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,465
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: Less obnoxious, brainless rehab addict chick

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby Spikey on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:58 am

Eismann wrote: But to state that we sths, who have paid to see great hockey as well as Kelly Buchberger, "could care less" is not only immeasurably stupid, it's a direct shot and needed to be called out.


It's also grammatically incorrect. It should be "couldn't care less." I thought maybe that was what made you so angry about it. Sorry, that expression is one of my pet peeves. :lol:

With respect to 40 year old STHs not being as crazy as students, for the most part that's probably true. However, anyone who has seen the dancing guy in the corner of F balcony (F20, maybe?) during Crazy Train or Jump Around knows that it's certainly not true in all cases. I'm waiting for the day he gets so worked up that he flings himself off of the balcony and onto the ice.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,658
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:56 am
Location: North Fayette

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby sj? on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:11 am

Spikey wrote:
Eismann wrote: But to state that we sths, who have paid to see great hockey as well as Kelly Buchberger, "could care less" is not only immeasurably stupid, it's a direct shot and needed to be called out.


It's also grammatically incorrect. It should be "couldn't care less." I thought maybe that was what made you so angry about it. Sorry, that expression is one of my pet peeves. :lol:

With respect to 40 year old STHs not being as crazy as students, for the most part that's probably true. However, anyone who has seen the dancing guy in the corner of F balcony (F20, maybe?) during Crazy Train or Jump Around knows that it's certainly not true in all cases. I'm waiting for the day he gets so worked up that he flings himself off of the balcony and onto the ice.



OMG .. I've seen him .. it scares me sometimes the way he jumps around !! He is a wild & loud man !! :shock:
sj?
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,670
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:05 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:25 am

Spikey wrote:With respect to 40 year old STHs not being as crazy as students, for the most part that's probably true. However, anyone who has seen the dancing guy in the corner of F balcony (F20, maybe?) during Crazy Train or Jump Around knows that it's certainly not true in all cases. I'm waiting for the day he gets so worked up that he flings himself off of the balcony and onto the ice.


The guy I wish would injure himself mortally is that idiot beer vendor on crack. I'm sure everybody knows who I'm talking about.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,686
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Serenity Now, Serenity Now.

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby Spikey on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:27 am

bill from turtle creek wrote:
Spikey wrote:With respect to 40 year old STHs not being as crazy as students, for the most part that's probably true. However, anyone who has seen the dancing guy in the corner of F balcony (F20, maybe?) during Crazy Train or Jump Around knows that it's certainly not true in all cases. I'm waiting for the day he gets so worked up that he flings himself off of the balcony and onto the ice.


The guy I wish would injure himself mortally is that idiot beer vendor on crack. I'm sure everybody knows who I'm talking about.


Oh, I love the dancing guy. I just worry for his safety. Sometimes he leans pretty far over that railing. :lol:

But yeah, that beer guy is awful.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,658
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:56 am
Location: North Fayette

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby IronDukes37 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:21 pm

.......
Last edited by IronDukes37 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,562
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:01 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby Shyster on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:22 pm

Senka wrote:students bring the noise. end.

season tickets and CEO's in suits do nothing but golf clap. They could care less. Games of years past were rockin too. Maybe not playoff level, but awesome nonetheless.

"Season tickets and CEO's in suits" (I'm definitely the former, a little of the latter) are the people rocking the place in the playoffs. I think we did a good job of that, thank you very much.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,150
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby newarenanow on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:23 pm

IronDukes37 wrote:Sounded fairly quite through the TV.


Every game on FSN sounds fairly quite. They don't pump the noise through the TV.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,307
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby Ben Klingston on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:24 pm

Shyster wrote:
Senka wrote:students bring the noise. end.

season tickets and CEO's in suits do nothing but golf clap. They could care less. Games of years past were rockin too. Maybe not playoff level, but awesome nonetheless.

"Season tickets and CEO's in suits" (I'm definitely the former, a little of the latter) are the people rocking the place in the playoffs. I think we did a good job of that, thank you very much.


Not to mention the fact that some current STH are the student rushers of years past.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,857
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:59 am
Location: Meeting Mario at Center Ice

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby newarenanow on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:33 pm

Ben Klingston wrote:
Not to mention the fact that some current STH are the student rushers of years past.



This, I started to Student rush 8 years ago. Went to the games when the building was empty. As I got a job, and more money, I became a partial STH with some friends. Now, I'm on the waiting list for my own tickets with another buddy so I only have to split them two ways instead of four.

It is the circle of life.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,307
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby Shyster on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:34 pm

Ben Klingston wrote:Not to mention the fact that some current STH are the student rushers of years past.


Yep. I student rushed all through college and law school, practically every game. Buying a season ticket package was one of the first things I did when I landed my first job.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,150
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby heshootsandscores on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:40 pm

meecrofilm wrote:I wanted Fleury to score SOOO badly.

He's gunning for it. It'll happen by season's end.



I love his little "hop"...
heshootsandscores
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,281
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:25 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: One of the best atmospheres at a Pens game...

Postby Loaf31 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:09 pm

Shyster wrote:
Ben Klingston wrote:Not to mention the fact that some current STH are the student rushers of years past.


Yep. I student rushed all through college and law school, practically every game. Buying a season ticket package was one of the first things I did when I landed my first job.


Ditto for me. I just went to grad school not law school though. I remember rushing and thinking of how cool it would be to get season tix. It was my 2nd major purchase after I graduated....Car was 1st, Season Tix were 2nd.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,537
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:25 pm
Location: Fredericktown, PA

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: neophool and 11 guests

e-mail