Official non-GDT thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official non-GDT thread

Postby gregor on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:19 am

this could get ugly.

I hope you brought your flame retardant vest
gregor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:21 am

This must be the post game thread for people who were at the game.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:28 am

It's simply because he's a center again, that's where he needs to play.

See, this is why I have a hard time taking this Jordan Staal stuff seriously, or any other flavor of the month whipping boy. Not trying to pick on you and I don't know where you stood on this before, but this isn't the first time I've seen this. Wasn't the consensus screaming for Staal to be put back at wing last season because he wasn't meant for center? Now apparently he can't play wing and he should have been at center all along. Uh... a little consistency. Again, not directing that at you, just the point in general.

By the way, Staal had a strong faceoff night - 12/18 - and is almost at 50% for the season to join Crosby, Talbot, and Zigomanis. Looks like Staal's playoff performance wasn't a fluke. This is a good faceoff team because the young centers (aside from Malkin, so far) have gotten better. What a weird occurrence... young players being bad at something and then improving with experience.

On that note, this is a refined team. They're consistently winning the faceoff game. They're consistently killing penalties. They're consistently getting great goaltending. This is not Penguins hockey we're used to, even in the last couple years of winning hockey. This team is really arriving and I can't wait to see how they look in the spring.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dagny on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:11 am

ZenPenguin wrote:Pens must get Dupius off that first line. Sid is visibly annoyed by him. They need to stick a goal scorer on the top line. The following is not an exaggeration: Dupius cannot cleanly receive a pass; plus, he can't make a pass. He's a great 3rd line player, not 1st line, not even close. Kennedy could be a nice fit on that top line.

Letang seems soff and passive. I don't know what's up.

Overall, the team looks good. Especially considering the fact that Gonchar and Cooke are injured.

The Pens weren't cycling mindlessly in the corner tonight... I found that odd (and refreshing). I believe this is because MT reads my posts :roll:

Something else... thinking... processing... Staal! That's it. He finally looked like the Staal that I have come to brag about. It's simply because he's a center again, that's where he needs to play.

Please, non-GDT thread posters, please join me in the non-GDT thread.

:D Yay! For the non-GDT, GDT!!! :D
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:28 am

dagny wrote:
ZenPenguin wrote:Pens must get Dupius off that first line. Sid is visibly annoyed by him. They need to stick a goal scorer on the top line. The following is not an exaggeration: Dupius cannot cleanly receive a pass; plus, he can't make a pass. He's a great 3rd line player, not 1st line, not even close. Kennedy could be a nice fit on that top line.

Letang seems soff and passive. I don't know what's up.

Overall, the team looks good. Especially considering the fact that Gonchar and Cooke are injured.

The Pens weren't cycling mindlessly in the corner tonight... I found that odd (and refreshing). I believe this is because MT reads my posts :roll:

Something else... thinking... processing... Staal! That's it. He finally looked like the Staal that I have come to brag about. It's simply because he's a center again, that's where he needs to play.

Please, non-GDT thread posters, please join me in the non-GDT thread.

:D Yay! For the non-GDT, GDT!!! :D

mmm.. that popcorn emoc makes me want.. popcorn!
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:01 am

ZenPenguin wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:
It's simply because he's a center again, that's where he needs to play.

See, this is why I have a hard time taking this Jordan Staal stuff seriously, or any other flavor of the month whipping boy. Not trying to pick on you and I don't know where you stood on this before, but this isn't the first time I've seen this. Wasn't the consensus screaming for Staal to be put back at wing last season because he wasn't meant for center? Now apparently he can't play wing and he should have been at center all along. Uh... a little consistency. Again, not directing that at you, just the point in general.

By the way, Staal had a strong faceoff night - 12/18 - and is almost at 50% for the season to join Crosby, Talbot, and Zigomanis. Looks like Staal's playoff performance wasn't a fluke. This is a good faceoff team because the young centers (aside from Malkin, so far) have gotten better. What a weird occurrence... young players being bad at something and then improving with experience.

On that note, this is a refined team. They're consistently winning the faceoff game. They're consistently killing penalties. They're consistently getting great goaltending. This is not Penguins hockey we're used to, even in the last couple years of winning hockey. This team is really arriving and I can't wait to see how they look in the spring.

I have never and will never say Staal should be a winger. He needs to be a center, there's no doubt. I've played hockey my whole life; about 90% as a center and 10% as a RW and there's a HUGE difference between the two. Staal IS a center, you can just see it. When he's interviewed about being a center vs. winger you can tell he's being politically correct in his answers by saying he doesn't care, but he subtlety suggests that he prefers to be a center.
If MT sticks with him as a 2nd line center (if Sid/Malkin stay on the first time) or 3rd line center, then that's ideal. Having him as a winger is ridiculous. Then again, having Dupius on the top line is also ridiculous. But that's MT

I can add to this that it is much easier to go from wing to center than the other way around.

Take note, Jordan.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins