2nd line, scoring depth

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

2nd line, scoring depth

Postby André on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:41 am

I think this warrants its own thread now that Malkin and Sid might see much of each other for some time.

So, how did Fedex, Staal and Sykora look? I hear good?

If they get it going as a good 2nd line I really like the Pens offensive depth. Looking past that line the first line goes without saying but Talbot and Satan with whoever I'm sure should pop in some goals now and then too.

Speaking of the devil (:D), is Satan altering between the 1st and 3rd line? I haven't watched the last two games but see he scored on equal strength with Sid and Malkin assisting and he's still getting about 17 min a night.

Edit: And don't get started on Malkin's long term potential. Yeah he's young but he's already one of the world's best players. He'll be fine either way. He could play 20 games at wing and on the PP-point then go back to centering the 2nd line again and do great right away. At the moment it's better to have an awesome first line (which they should be) and a very good 2nd line than two very good lines. Especially if Staal's looking better centering Fed and Sykora. In that case I say it's no brainer.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: 2nd line, scoring depth

Postby DelPen on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:08 am

Staal and Tank looked good together. The both forced turnovers, cycled and egenrated offense through an aggressive forecheck. Sykora though was a non-factor. I am going to keep saying this until it happens but Tank-Staal-Kennedy would be a perfect 3rd line to grind ouot against the other teams top line which will also chip in 30-40 goals between the three of them.

Satan and Sykora are being wasted by not playing with malkin and Crosby. Dupuis and Talbot have both showed they can play with Crosby and malkin. I think the Malkin and Crosby expermient can be ended.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SMTM on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:46 am

DelPen wrote:Staal and Tank looked good together. The both forced turnovers, cycled and egenrated offense through an aggressive forecheck. Sykora though was a non-factor. I am going to keep saying this until it happens but Tank-Staal-Kennedy would be a perfect 3rd line to grind ouot against the other teams top line which will also chip in 30-40 goals between the three of them.

Satan and Sykora are being wasted by not playing with malkin and Crosby. Dupuis and Talbot have both showed they can play with Crosby and malkin. I think the Malkin and Crosby expermient can be ended.

I like those lines. I think that would be a worthwhile experiement for the next few games, especially since they are going on the road for a while. That third line could be good with the way Tank and Staal played together last night. Do you have MT's phone number?
SMTM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pfim on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:05 am

If Satan plays the way he did lsat night, I definitely would like to see him with Malkin and Crosby.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:06 am

the malkin and crosby experiment CONTINUES to work. they got tons of chances last night, as did the other lines.

if staal can develop, i don't see why we would ever need to split malkin and crosby up. forget the center-wing dynamic; they click together. big time. and for some reason, the rest of the team has been playing better ever since they made the lineup change.

the only thing i'd like to see differently is switching dupuis with kennedy. dupuis gets into the right positions, but has been butchering chances the last 2 games.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tluke53 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:11 am

I think the should keep Malkin and Crosby togther for a while. It seems to be working just fine. I would think about playing Satan or Sykora with them instead of Dupuis. I think that line would score more goals that way, but then again they may give up more goals also. Dupuis played really well last night, but he is not a finisher in the same ilk as Satan and Sykora.
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:14 am

i bet 87 and 71 will be together until we lose a game or lose pretty bad.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:17 am

I heard this on MM last night and I thought it was kind of interesting:

Malkin - Sid - Dupuis
Sykora - Sundin - Satan
Fed - Staal - Talbot
scrub - Kennedy - scrub

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:24 am

If Staal plays like he did last night, then the team has very good scoring depth...Staal is a major part of this years offensive depth, good or bad...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:48 am

Putting Crosby and Malkin together will always get you excitement and usually goals. However, it does not mean you will get wins if the second line doesn't do anything.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby André on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:14 am

Thinking back on the 10 game winning streak last year, one of their tears during Malkin's rookie season and these past games now I'd like to see stats of the pens record with them on the same line for the entire game. I'm guessing their winning percentage is awesome. Wouldn't be surprised to see it being like 15-5-5 or something.

Yeah that'd be interesting.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:17 am

André wrote:Wouldn't be surprised to see it being like 15-5-5 or something.

i'm guessing you'd see an even higher win % over the last 2 years.

the rangers game will be a good test. if the arrangement works against the rags, who in the east would it not work against?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Noise on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:39 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:I heard this on MM last night and I thought it was kind of interesting:

Malkin - Sid - Dupuis
Sykora - Sundin - Satan
Fed - Staal - Talbot
scrub - Kennedy - scrub

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You mean

Satan-Crosby-Malkin
Fedotenko- Sundin- Sykora
Dupuis-Staal-Kennedy
Talbot-Ziggy- C. Lemieux

:wink:
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:13 pm

Remind me again how we're going to fit Sunny under the cap?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:22 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:Remind me again how we're going to fit Sunny under the cap?

If MM says so then I guess it's true.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eastonpensfan on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:41 pm

eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby purelebo84 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:51 pm

Fedotenko was good last night, and Dupuis has shown that he can play with Crosby and Malkin.

Still, the way Satan played with TK and Max last night, it seems he should be with Sid again.

He pretty much quarterbacked that line on a few long shifts in the CAR zone. If Sid and Malkin were with him, I have to think they'd have scored.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:03 pm

I gotta say, with Geno on Sid's line, I really don't see the need for Dupuis to be playing with Sid anymore. Both Sid and Geno are great along the boards, and with their passing talent, it's almost a neccessity to have a finisher on that line. I say alternate Satan and Syko on the first two lines. Dups on the 3rd line makes it a more effective one anyways. Hopefully this is what we'll see tomorrow.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel87 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:07 pm

Malkin/Crosby on the top line isn't much of a worry right now. The important thing is that the other lines continue to contribute offensively like they did on Thursday. The lines worked really well the other night and MT has to stick with them until things go sour. However all it takes is one bad night for the 2nd and 3rd lines and Therrien will probably switch them up again. Sometimes Malkin/Crosby can steal a win themselves, but it won't happen every night, especially when we get into teams with a lot of depth. That's why I don't see them staying together too long, but he has to keep it rolling for the moment.

Either way it was a great move by MT to get everybody going. Staal, Fedko, and others have more confidence now so that when they are reuinted with Crosby/Malkin they'll be ready.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby brwi on Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:22 am

It's pretty safe to assume that the Pens will come out against the NYR with the same lines as Thursday night. Several Pens had their best games of the season to date and the efforts produced a strong win. With Sid and especially Malkin's propensity to sometimes make giveaways around the opponent's blueline when everyone else is heading in, a guy like Dupuis with the wheels to make up distance in a hurry and pressure the puck-carrier is nice to have.

Staal-Fedo did some great work on the same line and both got going really for the first time this season. Great to see.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins