Stewie Griffin Postgame - Hurricanes at Pens

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame - Hurricanes at Pens

Postby netwolf on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:10 pm

Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Something good: Darryl Sydor back in the lineup. I've maintained since the start of camp that he still has some good hockey left in him and he's good enough to be in the top 6 on this team right now. He looked rusty with the puck on his stick, but considering how infrequently he's been in a game lately, I think it's to be expected. Positionally, he was good and I think he's a good guy to have playing when you also have young guys like Kris Letang and Alex Goligoski logging important minutes.

Where they need improvement: Brooks Orpik's "Guh!" moment. No one was more upset about it than Orpik, but they overcame it and while he may not being laughing about it today, the rest of the team probably is.

Something good: Winning as a team. The Pens got contributions all the way through their lineup and it all added up to a 4-1 home win.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame - Hurricanes at Pens

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:15 pm

Good: Malkin's complete "I vant to play" attitude, and the effort put forth by him.

Improvement: Coming out on fire, and not waiting until the end of the 2nd to finally realize "Oh, you mean we're actually losing this game?" Had this been any other team than a weak Hurricanes, or a terrible Maple Leafs, we probably would have lost by a large margin. What's up with Crosby? Running at Savard, running at E. Staal after he's down? I'm not saying this is bad, Sid has to stick up for himself. Just wondering if anyone else noticed it.

Good: Orpik's mistake was just one of those flukey accidents, and there were really no great chances for Carolina. Tank - Staal - Sykora line looks good. Satan looks good (Good as in better).
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:16 pm

Good: Well, if I'm not going to get my "Unscratchable Ice" or "Chocolate-Covered Time Machine", the next best thing is the Jordan Staal "On" Switch. Tremendous game by him from start to finish. Skating, play-making, puck control.

Bad: Shoot....the...freaking...puck. Pens must have passed up (haha) about a half-dozen good shots in deference to Lord knows what.

Good: The return of J. Stizzy. Hopefully for an extended run. Ah. Now I got it. Since Saw V is opening today, Stizzy must have gotten one of Jigsaw's famous "Hello Jordan...I'd like to play a game with you" tapes in his locker. The threat was to be the center for A. Morozov and K. Oliwa forever. I say "Bully!" for you, Mr. Saw.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby saleen66 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:25 pm

Good: Staal finally bringing it. I thought Staal has been sleepwaling through the season until last nights game. Someone game him a Red Bull and did it ever give him an energy boost. Could he have been challenged by his brother Eric? Hmmm....

Bad: Even though we didn't give up a crazy amout of shots, it seemed that every one was a good scoring chance. We didn't keep them to the outside as much as previous games.

Good: Sid making a rediculous deflection goal. *I do like how he "lied" to the linesman saying - I didn't deflect it. It must have hit something else on the way in. - to make sure the goal counted.
saleen66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:32 pm

Good~ Flower...nothing rattles his cage now.
consistent good~ TK! He's a steady.
Geno's moment~ his figure skating performance in the 3rd. Did the figure eight around every cane and penguin on the ice during a shift. 8-)
Better late than never~ more penguins arrive for the season, Jordan, Max, Ruslan. :P :wink:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:43 pm

good: staal came alive
bad: dupuis' recchi-ness
good: we're down 3 defensemen and still look really really good back there
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Senka on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:45 pm

Good: Satan doesn't mind 3rd line duties, and is doing well.

Needs Improvement: Godard's Fighting. Hes ballsy to challenge but that fight was lopsided.

Good: That we have 2 solid goalies right now, both playing fantastically. You can afford 2 goals against each game with a team like this -- thats def a great thing.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jesse on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:47 pm

DocEmrick wrote:Good: Malkin's complete "I vant to play" attitude, and the effort put forth by him.

Improvement: Coming out on fire, and not waiting until the end of the 2nd to finally realize "Oh, you mean we're actually losing this game?" Had this been any other team than a weak Hurricanes, or a terrible Maple Leafs, we probably would have lost by a large margin. What's up with Crosby? Running at Savard, running at E. Staal after he's down? I'm not saying this is bad, Sid has to stick up for himself. Just wondering if anyone else noticed it.

Good: Orpik's mistake was just one of those flukey accidents, and there were really no great chances for Carolina. Tank - Staal - Sykora line looks good. Satan looks good (Good as in better).

I couldn't disagree more with your "where we need improvement" stance. We came out of the gate on fire. Dupuis torched the Carolina D for 2 straight one on one chances. Carolina was absolutely asleep to start that game and the only thing that prevented us from going up early was Orpik's gaffe and Leighton's play.

The Penguins dominated every aspect of last nights game. They had 4 or 5 extended shifts in the offensive zone throughout the first two periods.

Just because a team doesn't score, doesn't mean they aren't dominating the ice on every level. In the second period, we held the Canes to 0 shots and 0 chances for the first ten minutes. I wouldn't exactly call that sleeping.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:52 pm

Jesse wrote:
DocEmrick wrote:Good: Malkin's complete "I vant to play" attitude, and the effort put forth by him.

I couldn't disagree more with your "where we need improvement" stance. We came out of the gate on fire. Dupuis torched the Carolina D for 2 straight one on one chances. Carolina was absolutely asleep to start that game and the only thing that prevented us from going up early was Orpik's gaffe and Leighton's play.

The Penguins dominated every aspect of last nights game. They had 4 or 5 extended shifts in the offensive zone throughout the first two periods.

Just because a team doesn't score, doesn't mean they aren't dominating the ice on every level. In the second period, we held the Canes to 0 shots and 0 chances for the first ten minutes. I wouldn't exactly call that sleeping.

Well I disagree with your assessment. So we'll leave it at that.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Senka on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:56 pm

DocEmrick wrote:
Jesse wrote:

Well...
Agree to Disagree...

*For the record i'm 100% with Jesse here. I don't know what game you watched.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jesse on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:59 pm

DocEmrick wrote:
Jesse wrote:

Where exactly were the Penguins sleeping?

We outshot them in the second period 13-6. Held them shotless and chanceless for 10 minutes, and dominated the time of possession in an uncanny fashion.

I'm just wondering how one comes to the conclusion that we didn't wake up until the third period?
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IrishEyes on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:04 pm

Something Good: The thought that after Tank's game, he might not be skewered on here quite so much. The entire third line, actually, looked fantastic, and it was great to see Max finally get a goal (and his subsequent little-boy celebration).

Something to Improve on: Dear Geno, you can't do everything yourself. I appreciate the effort, but seriously, you were skating around the offensive with the puck on your stick for how long? A pass or getting it deep would have been nice, instead of losing it and ending up at neutral and consequently giving the Hurricanes a chance to change.

Something good: Brooksie's butt not being in the way for Flower trying for the empty net, even though he didn't get it. He will get one. Oh yes, he will get one.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cs6687 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:08 pm

DocEmrick, I hope you don't believe the Penguins were outplaying the Devils in the home opener because they led for the majority of the game, because by your logic, the Devils were being outplayed by the Penguins because they didn't score for 58 minutes despite outshooting the Pens 49-15 or whatever it was.

I only saw the second half of the game last night because of work, but I saw a Pens team overwhelm Carolina. I had the same feeling that others had. That is, once the Pens got the first goal, the flood gates would open. It was a very solid win. The Pens just dominated Carolina and eventually overwhelmed Leighton, who played a very solid game for the Hurricanes.
Last edited by cs6687 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:08 pm

Good: The Pterodactyl is back!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bad: Goodard getting beat down.

Good: Goaltending and D is stellar right now.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:10 pm

Here are mine.

Something good: Activating the defense and having shots come from the point. Even Rob Scuderi was making himself available last night. The Penguins continuously got shots from the point which allowed them to get rebound chances and continue puck posession down low.

Something to improve: Hitting the net. Dupuis fired 4 shots wide. Fedotenko fired 5 shots wide. Crosby fired 3 shots wide. Malkin missed the net out of the penalty box. Gotta get the pucks on net when you get the chance.

Something good: Marc-Andre Fleury. Nuff' said.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:12 pm

Jesse wrote:

I'm with you on this one. The Pens were dictating the play for pretty much the whole game. You just had that feeling that they'd eventually get one in, and then the floodgates would open. That game was without a doubt their best even strength effort to date.

Anyways

Something Good: The 2nd line. Staal and Tank were fantastic. If they keep up that level of play, then maybe whether or not to move Geno back off of Sid's wing becomes a moot point.

Something Bad: Dups' inability to finish rears its ugly head. Although his speed alone created some good chances, you'd like to see him finish more often.

Something Good: Yeah, I also noticed Sid taking some extra liberties with E.Staal, just like he did with Savard the other night. I like it. It's like he's sending messages to other teams' superstars.
Last edited by meecrofilm on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:28 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Something Good: Yeah, I also noticed Sid taking some extra liberties with E.Staal, just like he did with Savard the other night. I like it. It's like he's sending messaged to other teams' superstars.

Sid has always been one to take an extra jab behind the play or give a cheap shot here or there, but this is a new level, and I love it.

I can't wait until Ovechkin tries to line up Malkin. I'm hoping Sid destroys Semin, that way Semin can run and cry to Ovy, "Why are they picking on me?"

This new attitude is great.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cs6687 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:35 pm

Ovechkin with 4 points in 7 games. At that rate, Washington will be picking in the top 10 next June.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IrishEyes on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm

Jesse wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:Something Good: Yeah, I also noticed Sid taking some extra liberties with E.Staal, just like he did with Savard the other night. I like it. It's like he's sending messaged to other teams' superstars.

Sid has always been one to take an extra jab behind the play or give a cheap shot here or there, but this is a new level, and I love it.

I can't wait until Ovechkin tries to line up Malkin. I'm hoping Sid destroys Semin, that way Semin can run and cry to Ovy, "Why are they picking on me?"

This new attitude is great.

Dude, Sid was piiiiiiiiiiiissed last night. I remember, after that great chance with Geno, when he didn't get the hooking call he should have and he swung his stick, they showed him sitting on the bench... and that fire was there in his eyes. I looked at my Dad and said "they're not going to lose this game. Look at Sid. It. Is. On!"

And it was. I love it, too.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby westside on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:41 pm

Something Good: Scoring contributions from someone not named Malkin or Crosby. The team was a good as I've seen them this year for most of the game.

Where they need improvement: I don't know if it's just me but the Pens seem to always have problems with the little passes when trying to get out of their zone. I don't really mean the long break out pass, but more the little passes after the first man gains possession deep in the zone. It seems they always pass too hard or too soft after getting control on the boards and it causes lots of turnovers.

Something Good: I would go with J. Staal but have to say Crosby, and not because of his points. Like someone else mentioned this is the 2nd time I've seen him all mixed up with someone and it's great to see. I don't know why he was so pissed at E. Staal but I like to see that kind of attitude from Sid. I don't know if it's something that will continue to grow, but I'd love to see Crosby get a little more dirty (not illegal) in the way he plays.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:54 pm

Gewd: top line working, talbot getting some, fedko zone looked solid, staal finally showed up, Orpik showing disgust at himself, biznasty/godard fighting every game.

Bad: To much passing, Malkin skating around 9 other players and trying to hard, knowing the same Staal we saw last night probably wont be a constant thing, Orpik wtf?.

Ugly: Me watching 50 minutes of hockey, changing the channel for 10 minutes to watch something on the Titanic and turning back to see the score now 2-1.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:03 pm

Jesse wrote: but this is a new level, and I love it.

Of confidence....and power...such power

Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:05 pm

Sid has also been pretty sick with the cold funk. Raging Sid with Cold = win.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby purelebo84 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:07 pm

Good- Satan didn't moan about being relegated to third line duties. In fact, he's played great for the last three games in the spot.
Bad- If Crosby and Malkin are together, they need to play more than they did last night.
Good- Staal and Fedo actually showed up.

Fleury was solid, as usual.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins