Center Ice NOW available on FIOs (NHL Network to follow)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Center Ice NOW available on FIOs (NHL Network to follow)

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:49 pm

Confirmed. Orderability today, schedules next week.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... nhl,117202
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Center Ice NOW available on FIOs

Postby shmenguin on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:29 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:Confirmed. Orderability today, schedules next week.

yeah, i've been following this on a Fios board for weeks now. took long enough. there are rumors that they'll show games in HD like DirecTv at some point. Fios is now officially un-friggin believably great.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:39 pm

shmenguin wrote:

yeah, i've been following this on a Fios board for weeks now. took long enough. there are rumors that they'll show games in HD like DirecTv at some point. Fios is now officially un-friggin believably great.

If you have FIOs how does DVR work? How many boxes can you have in your house? What are the savings compared to Comcast digital?
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:54 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

If you have FIOs how does DVR work? How many boxes can you have in your house? What are the savings compared to Comcast digital?

it's like $13 per dvr box. and $75 will get you pretty much every channel (including like 100 HD channels).

i figure you can have as many dvr boxes as you want. i have 1 dvr and 2 cablecards for my tivo. combine that with internet and all the channels and i pay $142/month.

the dvr software is much better than comcast. the picture quality blows comcast away too. the internet is faster, but you won't notice it too much. tech support and billing support are terrible though. you won't find a worse system. but you'll have less outages with the fiber optics, so it evens out. they also don't copyright protect any programming so you could download everything you watch to a tivo if you have the setup for it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:41 pm

How about NHL network??
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:45 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:How about NHL network??

Should be by the end of the year.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:31 am

About friggin time!!!!!
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sdadowski on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:05 am

I have FIOS and absolutely love it. The picture quality is tremendous and truly does blow away comcast.
That being said, a few things to keep in mind:

1. To get FSN HD, make sure you order the "EXTREME HD" package, not just the "HD package". I think it's an additional 12-15 channels; (includes HD versions of FSN HD, but also Travel channel, SPEED, Food network, and the HD versions of the Disney channels for anyone with kids.) Well worth it and more important, the ONLY way to get FSN HD.

2. The "multi-room" DVR is a bit misleading. The "multi-room" option only works on NON HD tv's. For example, I have 4 verizon boxes; 3 HD boxes and 1 regular box. If I DVR something on one of my 3 HD boxes, the only tv in the house I can watch it in "another room" is on the traditional box/old television. The HD boxes do not have the ability to be "multi-room", only the traditional box. And since the DVR is on the HD big screen tv, I can watch the recorded program on either the 52 inch HD set, or the old 19 inch "walmart" set in the basement. Something the commercials totally mislead you about.

That being said, would highly recommend FIOS if available in your area if for no other reason than to get out from under your cable company!
sdadowski
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby taiteng on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:15 am

I have FIOS also, and think it is light years ahead of Comcast, at least in my area. About the HD DVR, I think once Pgh gets the 1.6 update, you will
be able to stream HD from you HD DVR to your standard HD STB. We are supposed to get the update November 11th I think.
taiteng

Postby sdadowski on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:26 am

taiteng wrote:I have FIOS also, and think it is light years ahead of Comcast, at least in my area. About the HD DVR, I think once Pgh gets the 1.6 update, you will
be able to stream HD from you HD DVR to your standard HD STB. We are supposed to get the update November 11th I think.

I hope so...I "expressed concern" to an agent via the phone and her response was "to be patient, updates are happening rapidly." She also told me to call back every month/every other month to make sure I was getting the best rates/services currently available. Like previously mentioned in another thread, I ordered the "Extreme HD" package and my bill went down by 5 bucks a month even though I got something like 15 additional channels...something to keep in mind.
sdadowski
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby td_ice on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:34 am

Sweet, time to switch.
td_ice
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Firebird on Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:02 pm

FIOS a cable company or something?
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:19 am

sdadowski wrote:I have FIOS and absolutely love it. The picture quality is tremendous and truly does blow away comcast.
That being said, a few things to keep in mind:

2. The "multi-room" DVR is a bit misleading. The "multi-room" option only works on NON HD tv's. For example, I have 4 verizon boxes; 3 HD boxes and 1 regular box. If I DVR something on one of my 3 HD boxes, the only tv in the house I can watch it in "another room" is on the traditional box/old television. The HD boxes do not have the ability to be "multi-room", only the traditional box. And since the DVR is on the HD big screen tv, I can watch the recorded program on either the 52 inch HD set, or the old 19 inch "walmart" set in the basement. Something the commercials totally mislead you about.

The HD box can be used with the multi room DVR. It started with the program guide update just recently.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:21 am

Firebird wrote:FIOS a cable company or something?

Fiber optic phone, internet and tv to the house. If you have Verizon phone service available in your area, you will see trucks in your neighborhood bringing the fiber optic line.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Croskin871 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:05 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:How about NHL network??

It will be here very soon!

In an article posted today on NHL.com, "Also, Verizon will launch the NHL Network in the coming days."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=389066
Croskin871
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins