Official GDT - 10/25/08 - Penguins at Rangers

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT - 10/25/08 - Penguins at Rangers

Postby Easton on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:59 pm

Honestly - It's frustrating, it's irritating, but I can't say I'm worried about it. They did the same crap last year. Apparently they're going to be notorious for slow starts and blowing leads early in the season.

I don't know why. I don't know how. But I know it's going to happen.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:00 pm

I think it's because the Pens started out 8-11-whatever last season, and made it to the finals.

It's not like I'm not upset. It's an unacceptable loss. but I'm not gonna go off the team and say they suck, coaching is clueless, blah blah blah. It's worth stressing yourself out that much.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Member on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:00 pm

pens#1 wrote:psu 3 osu 3

It's the battle of who sucks worst.
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens#1 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:00 pm

id rather win in April May June then in October
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The U on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:02 pm

also can't draw powerplays (which some nights is our only offense) when you're playing "defense only" and playing not to lose. When the puck is in your zone for 20 minutes straight, you're giving up PPs to the other team, you're letting them get an offensive rhythm, and you're basically taking your star players/ star power out of the game. I really dont get all these late "prevent defense" situations we've found ourselves in.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens#1 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:04 pm

goodnight everyone - until Tuesday Lets GO Pens!!!
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:04 pm

I won't say this game matters any less than a game in the spring... a point now is the same as a point later... if you win this one, it's one less point you have to struggle for in the final 10 games. But it was a mistake by our best players that can be corrected, and I doubt we see it happen again. The Rags tied the game on a desperation shot with under 10 seconds left. Sometimes, that's life.

Lundqvist played the shootout well. He didn't give Letang or Crosby an inch. Sykora had some room but got robbed.

As my pre-calc teacher put it in 11th grade: sometimes you get the elevator, sometimes you get the shaft. We definitely got the shaft tonight.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SMTM on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:07 pm

bhaw wrote:I won't say this game matters any less than a game in the spring... a point now is the same as a point later... if you win this one, it's one less point you have to struggle for in the final 10 games. But it was a mistake by our best players that can be corrected, and I doubt we see it happen again. The Rags tied the game on a desperation shot with under 10 seconds left. Sometimes, that's life.

Lundqvist played the shootout well. He didn't give Letang or Crosby an inch. Sykora had some room but got robbed.

As my pre-calc teacher put it in 11th grade: sometimes you get the elevator, sometimes you get the shaft. We definitely got the shaft tonight.

That shaft was self inflicted. A painful, lesson-filled shafting. :evil:
SMTM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bruthrluv on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:08 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:
Member wrote:It's time to strip the "A" away from Malkin.

Why?...

Because that's easier than trading him to LA, firing MT, trading Whitney and Gonch, or stating that Stall has no future with the team.
:D
bruthrluv
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The U on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:10 pm

SMTM wrote:
bhaw wrote:I won't say this game matters any less than a game in the spring... a point now is the same as a point later... if you win this one, it's one less point you have to struggle for in the final 10 games. But it was a mistake by our best players that can be corrected, and I doubt we see it happen again. The Rags tied the game on a desperation shot with under 10 seconds left. Sometimes, that's life.

3 times in the past week or two....it's not "bad luck" when it happens 3 times out of 6. It's a trend or habit. When you're routinely getting outshot by 10-15 goals thats not bad luck either. With this roster the Pens should never think getting 2 goals is enough to win. Gotta have a killer instinct. How can you have the superstars we have on this team but think getting 2 goals is enough to do the job? Malkin, Crosby, Satan, Gogo, Letang, etc....these guys should be aiming for 4-5 goals per night. We're not the old Devils or the Wild.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penscup on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:10 pm

Letang needs to change it up every so often. He can't expect his Go-To move to work every time on the shootout.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:11 pm

Could be worse.The Devils lost to the Flyers twice in the last couple of days.We still got a point against real good Rangers team without playing 60 minutes.Not only that but when we get Whitney back,we'll be a whole lot better.

Look at the silver lining,would you please?
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penscup on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:14 pm

tombarrassorules wrote:ya the only benefit is that there i time to correct it.

wow. you'd rather win in april and forget now? that doesnt even make sense. if you rack up 20 points october-february, then whats the difference if you win in april. you have to win all season. how do you not understand that? sure its an 82 game schedule, but you have to come to play in all 82. if you take a night off, or a period off as we've seen, you cost yourself points. you need as many points as you can get all season. every game is worth 2 points. games in april dont count for 12 points. they're all worth 2. you cant get to may and june if you dont get the points now.

See the Ottawa Senators from last year. They were unbeatable for the first 4 months but then completely lost it and ended up entering the playoffs as the sacrifical lamb that every opponent was dying to play. It matters. The Pens are in no danger of not making the playoffs currently, therefore there is no reason to worry much at this point.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The U on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:14 pm

71Aj66ax87 wrote:Could be worse.The Devils lost to the Flyers twice in the last couple of days.We still got a point against real good Rangers team without playing 60 minutes.Not only that but when we get Whitney back,we'll be a whole lot better.

I think people are just as frustrated with the trend as they are with this particular game. Blew a 3 goal lead, blew a lead to the Devils, and again..another 2 goal lead tonight.
And the Whitney "silver lining" is about 3 months away...I wouldn't be counting on him to rescue us or anything.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:15 pm

The U wrote:
SMTM wrote:

3 times in the past week or two....it's not "bad luck" when it happens 3 times out of 6. It's a trend or habit. When you're routinely getting outshot by 10-15 goals thats not bad luck either. With this roster the Pens should never think getting 2 goals is enough to win. Gotta have a killer instinct. How can you have the superstars we have on this team but think getting 2 goals is enough to do the job? Malkin, Crosby, Satan, Gogo, Letang, etc....these guys should be aiming for 4-5 goals per night. We're not the old Devils or the Wild.

I didn't mean to imply that they are unlucky. They definitely need to fix the whole third period collapse they've been experiencing.

Letang and Goligoski are doing exactly what young defenders do... they are lacking the confidence to use their offensive skills. Letang had a shift where he actually drove deep and created a play. He doesn't do it nearly enough. Goligoski doesn't do it at all. It's experience.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:15 pm

The thing is Zherdev wasn't noticeable until with 8 seconds left. Sickening.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:15 pm

The one trend I would like to see reversed is the lopsided shot differentials. Pens are lucky they've had great goaltending so far, or else they could be in a worse position.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The U on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:15 pm

penscup wrote:
tombarrassorules wrote:ya the only benefit is that there i time to correct it.

wow. you'd rather win in april and forget now? that doesnt even make sense. if you rack up 20 points october-february, then whats the difference if you win in april. you have to win all season. how do you not understand that? sure its an 82 game schedule, but you have to come to play in all 82. if you take a night off, or a period off as we've seen, you cost yourself points. you need as many points as you can get all season. every game is worth 2 points. games in april dont count for 12 points. they're all worth 2. you cant get to may and june if you dont get the points now.

See the Ottawa Senators from last year. They were unbeatable for the first 4 months but then completely lost it and ended up entering the playoffs as the sacrifical lamb that every opponent was dying to play. It matters. The Pens are in no danger of not making the playoffs currently, therefore there is no reason to worry much at this point.

I think the message is: a game in October is worth 2 points. A game in February is worth 2 points. These games aren't meaningless. If you miss a good seed or miss the playoffs by ONE WIN or 2 points...it doesn't matter which game was the one that killed you or when the game was....These games are worth every bit as the ones that we'll play in Feb.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:21 pm

The U wrote:
71Aj66ax87 wrote:Could be worse.The Devils lost to the Flyers twice in the last couple of days.We still got a point against real good Rangers team without playing 60 minutes.Not only that but when we get Whitney back,we'll be a whole lot better.

I think people are just as frustrated with the trend as they are with this particular game. Blew a 3 goal lead, blew a lead to the Devils, and again..another 2 goal lead tonight.
And the Whitney "silver lining" is about 3 months away...I wouldn't be counting on him to rescue us or anything.

Yeah I know it will be awhile on Whitney,but the team is still managing to get points.Also this team is very streaky wait till they catch fire.

And I don't think Whitney will "rescue us",just take some pressure off of Crosby and Malkin.
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens#1 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:22 pm

tombarrassorules wrote:heres the most frustrating thing: the pens havent really had that game were you were just like "yeah, its on" afterwards. they've been close, had some decent wins like the leafs game and carolina. but they havent really had that all out demolishing of a team where they come out at the drop of the puck and you know theres no way they're going to lose. it just hasnt been there yet on a consistent basis. they swamped the leafs 4-1, then narrowly escape boston in a shootout, then explode against carolina, and then lose in a shootout. its frustrating to watch it.

you are correct its sad to watch a good team winning more than they lose in OCTOBER - i for one think the Pens are old and hit their prime last season if it was up to me they would stop building the new arena and let every taxpayer in PA get a 3 cent Bailout instead of a new arena
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wallflower on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:22 pm

It sucks that the Pens lost but people need to get a grip. Geez.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jf on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:22 pm

That was a three point swing in the standings. Both goals were scored on Eaton . He has been weak every game so far this year . How can Eaton let the Ranger get that shot off at the end of the game ,without even challenging him.
jf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:23 pm

So we have Eaton forget how to play defense, Crosby missin an empty net, Eaton forgetting AGAIN how to play defense, Sjostrom fanning on a shot which was the only way he was scoring and all of our shooters doing the same shot they always do.

Frustrating to keep blowing games late like this. That's 7 net points to the Atlanatic we handed away, 11 for the East because our best players don't play like it.

One thing for sure is it's not the coach.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WWGRD on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:23 pm

Zherdev's goal was Fleury's fault 100% of the way.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:25 pm

Which is a shame because he's been responsible for at least half of the team's points so far.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins