Official GDT - 10/25/08 - Penguins at Rangers

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT - 10/25/08 - Penguins at Rangers

Postby bhaw on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:54 pm

pens#1 wrote:thats what happens when you have a young team

Young on the blueline with Letang and Goligoski. But the forwards are mostly veterans at this point once you get past Staal. Malkin and Crosby are "young" but both have been consistent super stars.

It's more like this is what happens to a team that had a very short offseason, replaced over 1/2 of the offense, and lost 3 of their starting dmen.

I guess that would make them young in terms of the team itself being filled with new faces, but the players are well past the "young" stage IMO.

For the record, I agree that this is nothing to freak over... just disagreeing with the "young" part of it.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:55 pm

SolidSnake wrote:At least Montreal lost and AO had 0 points tonight.

.....Adam Oates?
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:55 pm

Easton wrote:

But he's the best player in the world because he throws hits. Not knocking you at all, just some on here that said he was the greatest after the Penguin game. He is having a slow start to the season though - he has what, 4 points? He'll pick it up no doubt - but a slow start nonetheless.

I was being sarcastic. lol I'm not a fan of him.... :?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens#1 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:56 pm

AO will have 6 good seasons and be done - hes a power forward OUT
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Easton on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:56 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
Easton wrote:

But he's the best player in the world because he throws hits. Not knocking you at all, just some on here that said he was the greatest after the Penguin game. He is having a slow start to the season though - he has what, 4 points? He'll pick it up no doubt - but a slow start nonetheless.

I was being sarcastic. lol I'm not a fan of him.... :?

Oh, I wasn't picking on you. I didn't even know you said that lol.
Last edited by Easton on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Easton on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:57 pm

pens#1 wrote:AO will have 6 good seasons and be done - hes a power forward OUT

He keeps up the crap he did against Malkin, and he'll be lucky to go 6 seasons without a blown knee.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ivand87 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:57 pm

Somebody please tell the Penguins that Henrik Lundqvist is the biggest goalie in the NHL and also one of the very best, if not THE best. I get Letang dekeing and going to the backhand because he's had so much success with that move, but for Crosby to do that is ridiculous. Sid just needs to shoot the puck quick. I wonder where his wrist shot went after his rookie season - he hardly ever gets any goals when wristing the puck anymore. And for that matter, I can't believe that he made the mistake of making that extra pass to Malkin on that chance in the 3rd period. He should have shot the puck there, period.

The 3rd period was just a complete total nightmare. They were backing down and giving the Rangers plenty of time and space to shoot. Do you guys remember the last minute of game 6 against Detroit? The Red Wings were all over the blue line and the neutral zone, not letting the Penguins in the zone. That's how you win hockey games.

Considering the 3 incredibly bad 3rd periods that have cost us 3 games and 4 points, 5-2-2 is acceptable... But blowing all these 3rd period leads is not. I don't care that we're missing Gonch, Whitney and Gill. Whenever you're up 2 goals in the 3rd period you should win that game 95% of the time. The Devils game I can put up with it - it happens. And that Capitals game was just a nightmare.

But for the Penguins to be so thoroughly outplayed, outshot and outworked in the 3rd period with a 2 goal lead and blow that lead AGAIN is completely unacceptable. We're taking a big step back and really screwing with the young guys' confidence every time that happens. And for the Rangers to come out with 2 points in this game just makes me ill.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:58 pm

AO has all the talent but nobody can hit and run at players like hes does and not get injured - its horrible to say that, but its the truth
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Easton on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:59 pm

ivand87 wrote:Somebody please tell the Penguins that Henrik Lundqvist is the biggest goalie in the NHL and also one of the very best, if not THE best. I get Letang dekeing and going to the backhand because he's had so much success with that move, but for Crosby to do that is ridiculous. Sid just needs to shoot the puck quick. I wonder where his wrist shot went after his rookie season - he hardly ever gets any goals when wristing the puck anymore. And for that matter, I can't believe that he made the mistake of making that extra pass to Malkin on that chance in the 3rd period. He should have shot the puck there, period.

That was a PERFECT pass to Malkin. Don't blame that on Crosby. Second of all - Crosby gets tons of crap for NOT doing moves in the shootout, and now he gets crap for doing one. He's had more success doing dekes in the shootout than not.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:03 pm

The way Sid almost got that empty netter and all that crap that went down with just a few seconds left.... I think that's what kills me. The 3rd period collapses are the losses that anger me the most. I fell asleep and missed the Capitals game... which was just as well, I guess.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens#1 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:04 pm

PSU will win!!!!
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ivand87 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:05 pm

Easton wrote:
ivand87 wrote:Somebody please tell the Penguins that Henrik Lundqvist is the biggest goalie in the NHL and also one of the very best, if not THE best. I get Letang dekeing and going to the backhand because he's had so much success with that move, but for Crosby to do that is ridiculous. Sid just needs to shoot the puck quick. I wonder where his wrist shot went after his rookie season - he hardly ever gets any goals when wristing the puck anymore. And for that matter, I can't believe that he made the mistake of making that extra pass to Malkin on that chance in the 3rd period. He should have shot the puck there, period.

That was a PERFECT pass to Malkin. Don't blame that on Crosby. Second of all - Crosby gets tons of crap for NOT doing moves in the shootout, and now he gets crap for doing one. He's had more success doing dekes in the shootout than not.

It was a good pass and Malkin missed the shot but the better play at that point was to shoot the puck. And you missed my point about Lundqvist. This guy is so big, and on top of that he gets back into the goal and will always wait for the shooter to make the first move, thus it's really hard to score against him on the backhand after a deke in the shootout. The best thing to do is to wrist it - the way Jeremy Roenick scored against the Flyers in the shootout the other night, that's the best way to beat Lundqvist. It's still really hard to do that, and I believe Lundqvist has the best shootout record in the league all-time, but it's your best chance IMO. The guy is a wall.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:06 pm

Game Over
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jerez on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:13 pm

Crap.

That is all. :evil:
Jerez
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Durbano on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:19 pm

I think there’s legitimate cause for concern about being dominated in the third periods of three games in a relatively short period (15 days) and blowing leads in each of those games. The Pens were outshot by Devils-Caps-Rangers by a combined 59-10 in the third periods. Worse, the Devils and Rangers each had played the previous night.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Member on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:21 pm

LETS
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby blackjack68 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:26 pm

Turtling in the 3rd and getting outshot 18-2 = FAIL!!!
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:40 pm

woof.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:47 pm

pens#1 wrote:Game Over

SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:47 pm

The 28th is my mom's b-day.Maybe some good juju vs. the Sharks.Image
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:09 am

It sucks but the Rangers can have their meaningless regular season shootout win now. The Pens are a better team and will have more success when it counts. They'll learn from these stupid losses and they'll put it together when it matters. They should be 8-1 right now, but it's October - success right now is meaningless, ask Ottawa, also ask them what a bad start to a season is really about.

Of course, it's a crummy loss, they were up 2-0 going into the third and had a chance to put it away with an empty net. They should have won this game for sure. But somehow I think the Rangers can keep counting on Voros to lead them in scoring and a lazy Zherdev to lead them to the promise land. :roll:
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby André on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:17 am

netwolf wrote:It's weird. In some respects, the Pens had no business getting that point. In others, they should have had 2 and not given the Rangers any.

Good summary. It sucks they with 9 secs left lost 1 point and gave away 2 but looking at the game as a whole they should've gotten 0 and given away 2.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:06 am

Why would the Rags be upset with the way they played? We had a fluke goal by Sydor and 99% of the time Crosby's goal doesn't squirt past Lundqvist for the tap in. I again saw too much fancy passing and deferment of the shot between Malkin and Crosby.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:25 am

DelPen wrote:Why would the Rags be upset with the way they played? We had a fluke goal by Sydor and 99% of the time Crosby's goal doesn't squirt past Lundqvist for the tap in. I again saw too much fancy passing and deferment of the shot between Malkin and Crosby.

There was the one play in the late second/early third where those two came down in a 3-1 and Malkin had a clear shooting lane but passed to Crosby. Then, Crosby went back to Malkin for some reason, and Geno missed an empty cage from 3 feet out.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:00 am

DelPen wrote:Why would the Rags be upset with the way they played? We had a fluke goal by Sydor and 99% of the time Crosby's goal doesn't squirt past Lundqvist for the tap in. I again saw too much fancy passing and deferment of the shot between Malkin and Crosby.

I'd imagine the lack of offense and being dominated between the bluelines for 2 periods was a concern, as is the fact that on crosby's goal, both he and Malkin were behind Ranger dmen who were just standing around. shades of how the Pens used to never clear the crease themselves. Beyond that, MAF was the main reason the pens had a 2-0 lead as the Rangers did have some very good chances even when they were having problems getting any flow going to their offense.
I would guess they are pretty ecstatic over tying a game and then winning the SO against a rival, no matter what time of the year it is or "what it means" in the long-term.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins