Dupius on the first line

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Dupius on the first line

Postby meecrofilm on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:57 pm

I'm definitely of the opinion that as long as Sid and Geno are together, Dups shouldn't be on that line. Gotta have someone with hands when those two are out there.

I was hoping we'd see Satan and Dupuis switched this game. Maybe next game.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel87 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:55 pm

meecrofilm wrote:I'm definitely of the opinion that as long as Sid and Geno are together, Dups shouldn't be on that line. Gotta have someone with hands when those two are out there.

Then there would be no hands on the 3rd line. I understand the first is way more important for scoring then the 3rd, but the 3rd does need to score some goals. Satan has given that line a jump. Sid and Geno don't need someone with hands, they need someone to finish. They should give TK a shot.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:57 pm

Daniel87 wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:I'm definitely of the opinion that as long as Sid and Geno are together, Dups shouldn't be on that line. Gotta have someone with hands when those two are out there.

Then there would be no hands on the 3rd line. I understand the first is way more important for scoring then the 3rd, but the 3rd does need to score some goals. Satan has given that line a jump. Sid and Geno don't need someone with hands, they need someone to finish. They should give TK a shot.

I also think Satan has been placed on "this is how we play the game here, so you are going to play on a line where you have to get into the corners and get dirty" duty. Very similar to the Sykora treatment last year. Play 3rd line until you learn defensive responsibilities and we break your floating ways. That, more than anything IMO, will keep Satan off the 1st line for now.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Daniel87 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:12 pm

bhaw wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:

I also think Satan has been placed on "this is how we play the game here, so you are going to play on a line where you have to get into the corners and get dirty" duty. Very similar to the Sykora treatment last year. Play 3rd line until you learn defensive responsibilities and we break your floating ways. That, more than anything IMO, will keep Satan off the 1st line for now.

I agree. I do think it's important though to have balance throughout the lineup. I always felt it was best to have a playmaker, grinder, and sniper on a line. Our top 2 playoff lines were perfect examples of that last year.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penscup on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:18 pm

bhaw wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:

Satan had several shifts with Crosby and Malkin on Thurs. night against Carolina so he is getting chances. Not sure about tonight though.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:22 pm

He seems to be getting partial shifts with them. He did tonight too.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:28 pm

blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel87 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:12 am

penscup wrote:
bhaw wrote:

Satan had several shifts with Crosby and Malkin on Thurs. night against Carolina so he is getting chances. Not sure about tonight though.

How can you forget the shift he had tonight with Kennedy and Crosby. Steigy said the first line was out there, but Dupuis and Malkin were no where to be found. :wink:
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:35 am

I'm pretty confident that within the next few games the lines will solidify themselves as being:

Satan-Crosby-Malkin
Feds-Staal-Sykora
Dupuis-Talbot-Kennedy
Cooke-Ziggy-Godard

Satan's been working hard on the 3rd line, and I think it really shows.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penmyst on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:55 am

I think Dupuis is on that line because MT wants speed and the ability to work on the boards/corners from the 3rd guy with Malkin/Crosby.

Obviously, it would be great if Dupuis also had great hands and was a scorer. But then, if he were he probably wouldn't be here and would be getting highly paid elsewhere.

I happen to think putting Malkin/Crosby together is bad for many reasons, but this is one of them. Other than a Crosby being a bit better on the boards, Malkin and Crosby are the same player. 2 of the same player on one line is always a dumb idea. Can't fill all the requirements that way. Sure, they will get their share of points due to their world-class skills. But is it the best way for that line or for the team?
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eastonpensfan on Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:42 am

eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:06 am

tombarrassorules wrote:satan crosby malkin? wheres the grit on that line? theres no one but sid to dig it out the corner. half of the success last year with hossa (aside from him being a solid scorer) was that dupuis forechecked, dug it out, sent it behind the net to crosby who again dug it out and tossed to the hoss-man for the goal. crosby is a pro at winning on the boards, but malkin really isnt and satan is made of charman.

Malkin is very good along the boards as well and behind the net. I actually wouldn't have a problem with Satan on that line because Sid and Malkin can share the dirty work. I was totally against the people yelling for Pesonen-Crosby-Satan for the exact reason you are talking about, but with Malkin on Sid's wing, there isn't that much to worry about.

Not sure why you would say Malkin isn't good at it. He's phenomenal along the boards. He constantly outworks 2-3 guys when he has it behind the net. If you were talking about along the boards in the defensive end, I would 100% agree though. Malkin is like two different players in each end.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby chaos5190 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:27 pm

I also agree with most of you about Satan on line 1. He was brought here to play a lot of minutes and score goals. Someone above mentioned the same thing happened with Sykora last year being demoted to the 3rd line for a while. I thought then what I am thinking now. Why are these players brought in and then put on a line where they don't belong? I understand MT wants these types of player hahaha to know they have to play his style of hockey, but Satan has 4 goals right? All 4 i believe have had Crosby as a primary assist I think. 3 of the 4 have been powerplay and 1 of those being a 5-3, but you still need someone to put the puck in the net whether it's a tap in goal or a snipe shot. I hope to see Satan back up on the first line instead of Dupuis.

As for someones question about Cooke. I always felt MT underutilized Ruutu last year, and I hope he doesn't do that with Cooke this year. I think these types of players should be getting anywhere from 10:00 on playing time up to 14 on some nights. I know Cooke was hurt so his 7 some minutes last night against NYR might be a little off, but I don't really agree with how he uses his grinders at times. Cooke seems to wanna hit everything that moves out on the ice and brings some high energy to our team. Does anyone else feel MT under utilizes his better grinder players?
chaos5190
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bhaw on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:42 pm

chaos5190 wrote:I also agree with most of you about Satan on line 1. He was brought here to play a lot of minutes and score goals. Someone above mentioned the same thing happened with Sykora last year being demoted to the 3rd line for a while. I thought then what I am thinking now. Why are these players brought in and then put on a line where they don't belong? I understand MT wants these types of player hahaha to know they have to play his style of hockey, but Satan has 4 goals right? All 4 i believe have had Crosby as a primary assist I think. 3 of the 4 have been powerplay and 1 of those being a 5-3, but you still need someone to put the puck in the net whether it's a tap in goal or a snipe shot. I hope to see Satan back up on the first line instead of Dupuis.

I agree, but both Sykora and Satan came in with bad habits that make them less effective on the team. It worked in the long run for Sykora. Satan can still get time on the PP to get some goals, and once he is ready, he can play with Sid regularly again. He is already getting odd shifts with him anyways. The idea is to sacrifice a little in the short run to gain much more in the long run, and I don't have much of a problem with it.

As for someones question about Cooke. I always felt MT underutilized Ruutu last year, and I hope he doesn't do that with Cooke this year. I think these types of players should be getting anywhere from 10:00 on playing time up to 14 on some nights. I know Cooke was hurt so his 7 some minutes last night against NYR might be a little off, but I don't really agree with how he uses his grinders at times. Cooke seems to wanna hit everything that moves out on the ice and brings some high energy to our team. Does anyone else feel MT under utilizes his better grinder players?

I think Cooke should get more time too, but it's a numbers game. We have too many GOOD grinders that someone gets the shaft. Who drops back in time? Kennedy? Fedotenko? Talbot? Dupuis?

I mentioned this before the season started when it looked like this was going to happen... the guys with the hottest hand (and healthiest) will get the most time. Cooke got hurt and isn't lighting it up offensively, so he is taking the back seat right now.

I have seen the 4th line getting more time regularly than last year though. Godard has not been out of place at all with his skating ability. Zigomantis is playing well too. So maybe it won't be as big of an issue as last year when the 4th line got 2 minutes on some nights.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Noise on Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:25 pm

tombarrassorules wrote:satan crosby malkin? wheres the grit on that line? theres no one but sid to dig it out the corner. half of the success last year with hossa (aside from him being a solid scorer) was that dupuis forechecked, dug it out, sent it behind the net to crosby who again dug it out and tossed to the hoss-man for the goal. crosby is a pro at winning on the boards, but malkin really isnt and satan is made of charman.

Malkin can work the boards too
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:16 pm

I don't have a problem with Dupuis on the first line with Sid and Malkin. He adds a physical and defensive presence to the line. If you put Satan or Sykora with Sid and Malkin there is zero defensive conscience on the line and zero physicality.

This team should not need Dupuis to be a 30 goal scorer to be successful.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WWGRD on Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:20 pm

I like having Dupuis on our first line. He has good speed, and can make good hits when the time is needed (Wideman)

Plus his overtime goal against Philly was one of the nastiest shots I've seen in a while.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:12 pm

Dupuis is to Crosby as Errey is to Lemieux
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby HomerPenguin on Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:22 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Dupuis is to Crosby as Errey is to Lemieux

Errey used to pot about 20-25 in a season on Lemieux's wing. When Dupuis gets half that many, we'll talk.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Corvidae on Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:39 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:

Errey used to pot about 20-25 in a season on Lemieux's wing. When Dupuis gets half that many, we'll talk.

He scored 12 last year NOT Crosby's wing. Can we talk or does that not count? :)
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:36 am

Corvidae wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:

He scored 12 last year NOT Crosby's wing. Can we talk or does that not count? :)

Uber pwnage
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:37 am

KG wrote:I don't have a problem with Dupuis on the first line with Sid and Malkin. He adds a physical and defensive presence to the line. If you put Satan or Sykora with Sid and Malkin there is zero defensive conscience on the line and zero physicality.

since when do crosby and malkin not have a defensive conscience? because of 1 empty net shift? and is dupuis really that much more physical than either?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:40 am

shmenguin wrote:
KG wrote:I don't have a problem with Dupuis on the first line with Sid and Malkin. He adds a physical and defensive presence to the line. If you put Satan or Sykora with Sid and Malkin there is zero defensive conscience on the line and zero physicality.

since when do crosby and malkin not have a defensive conscience? because of 1 empty net shift? and is dupuis really that much more physical than either?

Defensive conscience was probably too strong. But Dupuis is needed on that line to do the dirty work and go in the corners and get the skilled players the puck and go to the net...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:46 am

KG wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Defensive conscience was probably too strong. But Dupuis is needed on that line to do the dirty work and go in the corners and get the skilled players the puck and go to the net...

dupuis doesn't really do that though. sid and geno have been doing almost all the dirty work. dupuis has been hanging in the slot waiting to whiff on scoring chances,

i think the reason MT is doing this is to spread out the scorers (which may be a valid idea actually)
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:50 am

If the experiment must continue then do this:

Malkin-Crosby-Kennedy
Dupuis-Talbot-Satan
Tank-Staal-Sykora
Cooke-Zigomanis-Godard
DelPen
NHL Third Liner