1993 Game Six vs. Islanders?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 1993 Game Six vs. Islanders?

Postby Sams_Dog on Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:43 pm

Ah yes, the series that will bother me forever. I remember that in game 6 the Pens were on the road and they were up on the Isles late in the game, maybe by two goals. Then they let them off the ropes and they came back and beat us 8-6 or something. We had them in that game and should have finished them off. The whole series was like that. Brutal.

I'd like to watch that game to try and figure out why the Pens lost that series but I know the answers will never come. Biggest reasons I think: a. Overconfidence b. Lemieux was still drained from radiation treatments c. We had no answer for Kasparaitis d. Barrasso's mysterious injury that he always will deny
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:33 pm

DrBoni wrote:Asking if anyone remembers this game is like asking if the Pope is Catholic.

The Space Pope is Reptilian.

Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby littlemoonboot on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:51 pm

The silver lining of that series in Penguins history is proof that it CAN happen to a really stacked team and I hope it happens to Detroit.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:02 pm

skullman80 wrote:Some of you came off as hotheads in this thread. Geez.. the guy brought up a not so good time in Pens' memory.. big deal. It was 15 years ago. He didn't even mention Game 7 or Volek.

Lighten up.

After reading the first post yesterday or maybe today, whenever I first read it, I didn't return. I was wondering how it made it to two pages, but this makes sense now. Kind of.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Stan Potash on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:08 pm

If you want to be a jerk and start negative threads like this, go ahead. No one is going to stop you. However, I highly doubt this is what people want to talk about after a depressing Pittsburgh sports weekend.

No, actually you are right. I'm sure people want to come on LGP and look at an absurd thread as this.

why so serious: you cannot be serious. are you serious?
Stan Potash
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:36 am

Daniel87 wrote:Geez, tough crowd. All the guy did was bring up a former playoff game. I know it wasn't our proudest moment, but you don't have to rip his head off.

But it was the beginning of the end... the end of the "dynasty", almost the end of the team! :(
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:40 am

All i'm going to say is:

Penguins 93 offense vs Roy in East Finals
Lemieux vs Gretzky in Finals

Would have been amazing if it went there.

Hey Racki maybe you should remind me what happened in the cup, I don't remember my most hated team in the entire NHL (beside flyers) lifting the cup in our own mellon arena. Maybe I felt too disrespected and disgusted that I don't remember it.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Firebird on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:54 am

Everytime I reminded of this I'm glad that the isles are in the basement year after year now
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby muffinarm on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:45 pm

End of a dynasty is a bit dramatic as winning two cups back-to-back doesn't qualify as a dynasty in my mind. The main thing I remember from game six is just how brutal Tom Barrasso played. I also remember his defense not really helping out all that much. As an aside, reading this thread reminded me of an interview Marty McSorely did on Jim Rome (after his brief stay in Pgh later on) where he commented that he couldn't believe the Penguins won just two Stanley Cups. But on the same hand, he also couldn't believe they won any at all. I think this series pretty much summed up that statement.
muffinarm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins