Sydor askes for trade

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Sydor askes for trade

Postby Corvidae on Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:36 pm

Not unexpected.

Defenseman Darryl Sydor, who returned to the lineup this past week due to Hal Gill's injury, has asked the Penguins for a trade. Sydor knows substantial ice-time won't come with the Penguins, especially when injured defenseman Ryan Whitney returns in December from a foot injury. The Penguins will be more willing to move Sydor upon Whitney's return.

Linky Dinky
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Sydor askes for trade

Postby helmespc on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:14 am

Yea.... no surprise.... hope it happens, for everyone involved. Just as soon as Whitney comes back...
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:28 am

Yeah, I don't blame him...if he can just sit tight while we (attempt to) showcase him a bit for the next couple weeks, that'd be nice...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Metalmike on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:20 am

So far so good. He scored a goal already. That draft pick in exchange for him should be higher now.

Metal Mike, Canada's #1 Penguins Fan.
Metalmike
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:39 am

If he's willing to wait until Whitney gets back, it'd be perfect.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:44 am

Sounds like he is being professional about the situation unlike a certain former #8 last year.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:27 am

I respect his request for a trade as long as he remains professional and he plays hard when he gets the opportunity. I'm sure there will be some other team interested in acquiring an experienced defenseman with some gas left in the tank.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:30 am

We can trade Sydor the player, how can we trade his 2.5 Mill salary?

Ruh-Roh
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:07 am

Sydor probably asked for a trade 6 months ago at least...

Trust me. I'm sure Shero is trying to oblige...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:27 am

Nizzy wrote:We can trade Sydor the player, how can we trade his 2.5 Mill salary?

Ruh-Roh

very few GM's will give a crap over whatever pro-rated salary they'll have to pay him. 2.5 million for 1 year isn't going to affect the cap (which is why we were right to keep him) and it's not even in the top 25 for gross over payments in the league.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens#1 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:35 am

i cant see the Pens trading him until they see Whitney skate and have a more accurate time frame for his return
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bringitonhome on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:10 am

"check ya later, check ya later"
Last edited by bringitonhome on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensBeerGeek on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:29 am

He's been nothing but a true professional through a difficult time, when he well could have become a locker room cancer....I've never heard any such thing in any report.

Once Whitney returns to regular action, hopefully he'll get to go somewhere where he can get some minutes.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:45 am

Sydor needs to just stay on the team and fill in where and whenever needed. 6th-Dman, 4th Line Winger, etc.. Why does he want traded? For more playing time? Better chance to win a cup? Because his best bet is probably here. If he isn't good enough for this team's starting 6 defenseman, then I doubt he will be good enough for a different cup contending team's top 6 defenseman.

Send him to Pittsburgh South for the rest of the year. Pick up a mid-to-late round draft pick.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lw27 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:10 am

trading sydor once whitney returns is one thing but another issue that will happen at that time is which other defensemen now has to sit. Do they bench Letang or Goligoski? Weren't they doing some kind of odd rotation last year for a short while in the spring? Then when gonchar returns it causeses the same problem. Used to be that the pens D had nobody to move the puck and now they will be almost overloaded with 4 offensive d-men. It will be interesting to see how this plays out with trades barring other injuries.
lw27
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jimjom on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:35 am

Nizzy wrote:Sydor needs to just stay on the team and fill in where and whenever needed. 6th-Dman, 4th Line Winger, etc.. Why does he want traded? For more playing time? Better chance to win a cup? Because his best bet is probably here. If he isn't good enough for this team's starting 6 defenseman, then I doubt he will be good enough for a different cup contending team's top 6 defenseman.

Send him to Pittsburgh South for the rest of the year. Pick up a mid-to-late round draft pick.

I dunno man he already has a coupla cups he's probably planning on playing out a few more years then retirement...I wish Syds that we signed was the PP QB in Dallas from 99 version.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimjom on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:38 am

Nizzy wrote:Sydor needs to just stay on the team and fill in where and whenever needed. 6th-Dman, 4th Line Winger, etc.. Why does he want traded? For more playing time? Better chance to win a cup? Because his best bet is probably here. If he isn't good enough for this team's starting 6 defenseman, then I doubt he will be good enough for a different cup contending team's top 6 defenseman.

I dunno man he already has a coupla cups he's probably planning on playing out a few more years then retirement...I wish Syds that we signed was the PP QB in Dallas from 99 version.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Doogs on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:41 am

Does he not know that noone wanted to give up more than even a pick for him? I like Sydor, but the contract is the problem. I'm with you Nizzy.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Noise on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:09 pm

lw27 wrote:trading sydor once whitney returns is one thing but another issue that will happen at that time is which other defensemen now has to sit. Do they bench Letang or Goligoski? Weren't they doing some kind of odd rotation last year for a short while in the spring? Then when gonchar returns it causeses the same problem. Used to be that the pens D had nobody to move the puck and now they will be almost overloaded with 4 offensive d-men. It will be interesting to see how this plays out with trades barring other injuries.

When Whitney returns you send either send Goligoski down and bring Richmond up to be #7, or you keep Goligoski up and rotate the 7th man.

When Gonchar returns you send Richmond or Goligoski down and then you rotate the 7th man.

I don't really think having 4 puck moving defensemen on the team would really be as much of a hindrance as you'd think. None of them are a defensive albatross. Letang and Goligoski have been playing well for the increased roll that the injuries have brought them. Next year, if the Pens top 6 is:

Gonchar-Orpik
Whitney-Letang
Goligoski- Scuderi/Gill/Eaton type guy

I think that'd be great.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:15 pm

The answer is:

You trade Whitney to Buffalo for Afi and Kotalik...and sign those 2 long term BEOTTTTTTTTTTTCH!
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:35 pm

Sydor would be a #2 defenseman with Pittsburgh South.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby laholm64 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:37 pm

Noise wrote:
lw27 wrote:trading sydor once whitney returns is one thing but another issue that will happen at that time is which other defensemen now has to sit. Do they bench Letang or Goligoski? Weren't they doing some kind of odd rotation last year for a short while in the spring? Then when gonchar returns it causeses the same problem. Used to be that the pens D had nobody to move the puck and now they will be almost overloaded with 4 offensive d-men. It will be interesting to see how this plays out with trades barring other injuries.

When Whitney returns you send either send Goligoski down and bring Richmond up to be #7, or you keep Goligoski up and rotate the 7th man.

When Gonchar returns you send Richmond or Goligoski down and then you rotate the 7th man.

I don't really think having 4 puck moving defensemen on the team would really be as much of a hindrance as you'd think. None of them are a defensive albatross. Letang and Goligoski have been playing well for the increased roll that the injuries have brought them. Next year, if the Pens top 6 is:

Gonchar-Orpik
Whitney-Letang

I think that'd be great.

I agree totally. I, like many others, think Sydor still has game. But I don't think MT feels that way. If I remember right Sydor wasn't happy with his playing time last year either. Seems I remember rumors of him asking for a trade then as well. I know he wasn't happy with playing time in the playoffs. I don't know what his motivation is, but I'm just guessing he wants to get playing time while he still can. I'd move him if he is unhappy, regardless. $2.5m might not seem like much to some people, but I bet it will look gigantic at the trade deadline.
laholm64

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:44 pm

Sydor, Malkin, Whitney for Jack Johnson, Dustin Brown, Kopitar. Pull the trigger Shero.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:02 pm

Noise wrote:

Gonchar-Orpik
Whitney-Letang

I think that'd be great.

I think that would be soffer than cotton balls. The only real hitter there is Orpik, and there is no one else there that clears the front of the net.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:35 pm

JS© wrote:

Sydor would be a #2 defenseman with Pittsburgh South.

Well said...They could pair him with the newly signed Marek Malik :P
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins