Sydor askes for trade

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Sydor askes for trade

Postby Daniel87 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:33 pm

Nizzy wrote:Sydor needs to just stay on the team and fill in where and whenever needed. 6th-Dman, 4th Line Winger, etc.. Why does he want traded? For more playing time? Better chance to win a cup? Because his best bet is probably here. If he isn't good enough for this team's starting 6 defenseman, then I doubt he will be good enough for a different cup contending team's top 6 defenseman.

Send him to Pittsburgh South for the rest of the year. Pick up a mid-to-late round draft pick.

He's been playing on a regular basis for 15+ years. I'd think itd be tough to accept the fact that your the 9th defensemen on your team with everybody healthy. I'm sure he wants to be on a contender and would like to be a leader here, but its unrealistic to think that he'll get any real playing time. If he wanted to sit in the press box he'd be retired by now.

I think he's been a true professional about the whole thing since last year. Hopefully everything works out for him.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:38 pm

Good luck to him, whatever happens. After a real rough start getting ramped up with a new team, he got himself into form and was a pretty solid part of the d for the year.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Corvidae on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:50 pm

KG wrote:
JS© wrote:Sydor would be a #2 defenseman with Pittsburgh South.

Well said...They could pair him with the newly signed Marek Malik :P

Man, Pittsburgh South sure does suck. I love it.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lw27 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:53 pm

Corvidae wrote:
KG wrote:
JS© wrote:Sydor would be a #2 defenseman with Pittsburgh South.

Well said...They could pair him with the newly signed Marek Malik :P

Man, Pittsburgh South sure does suck. I love it.

Malone's lack of productivity is probably because of all the long drives he makes from tampa to miami to get some new tats from Miami Ink.
lw27
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:23 pm

lw27 wrote:
Malone's lack of productivity is probably because of all the long drives he makes from tampa to miami to get some new tats from Miami Ink.

Or, it could be related to the fact that he's no longer playing with the guy who earned him his paycheck, Geno the Awesome.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:36 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:
Noise wrote:
lw27 wrote:trading sydor once whitney returns is one thing but another issue that will happen at that time is which other defensemen now has to sit. Do they bench Letang or Goligoski? Weren't they doing some kind of odd rotation last year for a short while in the spring? Then when gonchar returns it causeses the same problem. Used to be that the pens D had nobody to move the puck and now they will be almost overloaded with 4 offensive d-men. It will be interesting to see how this plays out with trades barring other injuries.

When Whitney returns you send either send Goligoski down and bring Richmond up to be #7, or you keep Goligoski up and rotate the 7th man.

When Gonchar returns you send Richmond or Goligoski down and then you rotate the 7th man.

I don't really think having 4 puck moving defensemen on the team would really be as much of a hindrance as you'd think. None of them are a defensive albatross. Letang and Goligoski have been playing well for the increased roll that the injuries have brought them. Next year, if the Pens top 6 is:

Gonchar-Orpik
Whitney-Letang
Goligoski- Scuderi/Gill/Eaton type guy

I think that'd be great.

I think that would be soffer than cotton balls. The only real hitter there is Orpik, and there is no one else there that clears the front of the net.

Letang isn't soft. I don't think Goligoski is that soft either. He's much more willing to play the body than Gonch or Whitney. He's not as good at playing the body as Letang, but that can come.

I can't name them off the top of my head, but there are few decent bottom pairing crease clearers available next summer. Zanon for instance.

The other thing is that the Pens management have stated that the idea defensively isn't to knock everyone on their butts anymore, but it is more to recover the puck and get it quickly to the forwards and turn it the other way.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:42 pm

Noise wrote:Letang isn't soft. I don't think Goligoski is that soft either. He's much more willing to play the body than Gonch or Whitney. He's not as good at playing the body as Letang, but that can come.

I can't name them off the top of my head, but there are few decent bottom pairing crease clearers available next summer. Zanon for instance.

The other thing is that the Pens management have stated that the idea defensively isn't to knock everyone on their butts anymore, but it is more to recover the puck and get it quickly to the forwards and turn it the other way.

And one effective way to do this is to pair a puck mover with a butt-knocker.

And, I realize Letang is willing to hit, but he is not built to be a physical presence on the blueline.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:43 pm

Yeah, as we've seen, an abundance of offensive-defenseman in the 'new' NHL seems to be the way to go. Especially if they're defensively solid as the Pens' project to be. (Even in his bad days, Whitney still looked like Borque compared to Mike Green).
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Noise on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:48 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:
Noise wrote:Letang isn't soft. I don't think Goligoski is that soft either. He's much more willing to play the body than Gonch or Whitney. He's not as good at playing the body as Letang, but that can come.

And one effective way to do this is to pair a puck mover with a butt-knocker.

And, I realize Letang is willing to hit, but he is not built to be a physical presence on the blueline.

He's not going to make too many highlight reel hits, but he'll squeeze guys off the puck on the boards and have the legs to retrieve it and the skills to dish it, or the back checking center can do that. And you don't necessarily have to hit someone to force a turn over either.

Also if you've got Letang and Whitney (or Goligoski) paired when you get an offensive cycle going, they can make it very very hard for the opposition to use the boards to get the puck out of the zone.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:16 pm

Doogs wrote:Does he not know that noone wanted to give up more than even a pick for him? I like Sydor, but the contract is the problem. I'm with you Nizzy.

There are plenty of teams right now who need defensemen... especially a vet who can still play. The Pens can get a return for him, but my guess is that Shero hasn't pulled the trigger on anything due to the injuries. A pick can't fill in if someone gets hurt... not even a first rounder. His 2.5M salary means nothing to most teams at this point if they aren't at the ceiling.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:23 pm

They should play him for a few months then bench him. Maybe he'll learn something from the experience.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:36 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:They should play him for a few months then bench him. Maybe he'll learn something from the experience.

It's amazing how you can come up with new material all the time :lol:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:08 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:
lw27 wrote:

Or, it could be related to the fact that he's no longer playing with the guy who earned him his paycheck, Geno the Awesome.

I do find it significantly amusing that, through the first seven games, Adam Hall has the same number of goals and points (i.e. 1 total) that Malone has, while holding a significantly better +/- (even vs. -3).

Just saying...

(oh, and Recchi has doubled them both up with 2 goals) :lol: :wink: :lol:
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:10 pm

I miss Adam Hall. I wish he would have been offered .6M a year by the pens. I would have got his jersey for sho.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:22 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I miss Adam Hall. I wish he would have been offered .6M a year by the pens. I would have got his jersey for sho.

Then we wouldn't have Zigomania.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:26 pm

Joe Micheletti said during the Ranger game that Zigo is the first right handed center the pens have had in several years...

No love for Hall Joe?
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Corvidae on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:17 pm

KG wrote:Joe Micheletti said during the Ranger game that Zigo is the first right handed center the pens have had in several years...

No love for Hall Joe?

Technically a winger.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:19 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I miss Adam Hall. I wish he would have been offered .6M a year by the pens. I would have got his jersey for sho.

Hall, Conklin, and Ruutu were 3 of the best UFA bargains this season IMO.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby npv708 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:39 pm

i say we send sydor to pittsburgh south for punishment for asking for a trade. i think we can get stamkos back because sydor has both more icetime and goals...
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:42 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:

the only way adam hall would be a bargain is if he was on a 1 year, league minimum deal with the ability to send him to the AHL at any time.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mosby on Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:59 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:

Aaron Voros is head and shoulders looking like a much better bargain than either Hall or Ruutu.
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:14 pm

Sydor and agent can ask all they want, but I don't see that happening until at least Whitney returns to the line up and is at close to 100%. Pro sports are all about the team and right now the Pens are better off as a team with Sydor on the roster while others are injured. How Sydor feels about it really doesn't matter unless he cops a crap attitude, which wouldn't enhance his trade prospects once RS decides he can move him elsewhere.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:28 pm

Yes, and it's good for the Pens, in the sense that Sydor will undoubtedly be busting his butt each game he plays in, as he'll want to show other teams that he can still get it done.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:31 pm

Could I ask someone to please post the link to the OP's original quote. (or just give me a day and source please)

I don't doubt it authenticity having seen so many people respond to it, but somehow I missed it and want to circle back to the story.

thanks
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sdm5055 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:34 pm

Penspal wrote:Could I ask someone to please post the link to the OP's original quote. (or just give me a day and source please)

I don't doubt it authenticity having seen so many people respond to it, but somehow I missed it and want to circle back to the story.

thanks

the OP has a link to the story in his post... it doesnt seem like the story because its about euros talking about america or something but at the bottom of the story there is tid bits about the pens and one has the quote... all it says is what the OP quoted its not a big long story
sdm5055
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins