Top 4 D-men?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Top 4 D-men?

Postby CKA24 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:06 pm

MT (in DM's story in today's PG) mentioned that three of the top 4 defensemen on the team are out (Gonchar, Whitney, Gill).

Who is number 4?
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Top 4 D-men?

Postby Why So Serious? on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:07 pm

Brooks Orpik.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CKA24 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:28 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:Brooks Orpik.

Has he truly proven that yet?
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:35 pm

CKA24 wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:Brooks Orpik.

Has he truly proven that yet?

Oh yea. Let's face it, the guy was absolutely a monster in the playoffs. Actually, he was a monster since the moment he was paired up with 55. And he has really established himself as one of the stalwarts on not only this team, but in the whole NHL. I could make the case that he is our 2nd most important/best dman behind Sergei Gonchar.

And with Gonchar and Whitney out, Brooks Orpik is our number one dman. And when this lineup is fully healthy, he is a number 3 dman at worst. I would put him behind only Gonchar when ranking our dmen. Oh, and not to mention, he leads the league in hits with 41. He is just an animal. And he would make an excellent captain of a team one day. But, I hope that day never comes because I want him to be wearing the Black and Vegas Gold sweater his whole career.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:50 pm

Of course it's Orpik...Who else would it be? Sydor? = O
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:53 pm

I'm not sure I'd put Gill in the top 4. Obviously, you have Whitney, Gonchar, and Orpik. Personally, I would probably put Letang there, too. Then you can put Gill, Scuderi, and Eaton into the 5/6/7 group.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:55 pm

Brooks since the leafs' game has picked up his game.
In a perfect world, I'd like to see Sydor and Gill split games.

M Eaton in today's PG accepts the blame for Prucha's goal and Zhverdev's.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:58 pm

Top four in terms of time on ice in the playoffs:

1) Gonchar
2) Orpik
3) Whitney
4) Gill

There you go.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:15 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Top four in terms of time on ice in the playoffs:

1) Gonchar
2) Orpik
3) Whitney
4) Gill

There you go.

I'm not sure you can just go by that. One, Eaton wasn't even available. If he was, he would have taken some of Gill's PK time. Two, Letang was a rookie who got replaced at times, but who is much better this year. As I said, I think that Eaton, Gill, and Scuderi are 5/6/7 types, in no particular order.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:28 pm

Whats funny to me about this whole thread is that we are interpreting top 4 d-men wrong. It seems like the people here are interpreting it as each of them is a top 4 d-man the same way they say he is a top 6 forward. Therrien is just talking about his top 4 d-mean. As in 1, 2, 3, 4 rather than these are the kind of guys that belong on the top 2 pairs. In this case, its obvious that Orpik is the #1 remaining defender.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:29 pm

Referring to Hal Gill as one of this team's top 4 defensemen makes me sad. I never cared for him much before Shero acquired him, but I was happy to see him do well in the playoffs. I'm always for team success ahead of any one player's.

So far this season, he's reverted to the guy I couldn't stand - slow, out of position, and average passing at best. Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought he was a physical player with a bit of a mean streak. I haven't seen any of that from him this season.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:35 pm

netwolf wrote:Referring to Hal Gill ... Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought he was a physical player with a bit of a mean streak. I haven't seen any of that from him this season.

You know how the story goes: once they get to Pittsburgh, they get soft as melted butter. History bears that out.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:04 pm

i'd slot scuds in the top 4 over gill

1)gonchar
2)orpik
3)whitney (i guess)
4)scuds
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanBryan on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:14 pm

netwolf wrote:Referring to Hal Gill as one of this team's top 4 defensemen makes me sad. I never cared for him much before Shero acquired him, but I was happy to see him do well in the playoffs. I'm always for team success ahead of any one player's.

So far this season, he's reverted to the guy I couldn't stand - slow, out of position, and average passing at best. Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought he was a physical player with a bit of a mean streak. I haven't seen any of that from him this season.

I thought Gill has played well so far, especially on the penalty kill. I think we have seen some of the mean streak. He has come to the defense of Sid numberous times, and well, thats his job. So far this season, the only knock i have on Gill is, he has put at least 2 pucks into his own net.

Right now my defenseman hierarchy (not including Whitney/Gonchar) is:
1. Brooks Orpik
2. Rob Scuderi
3. Hal Gill
4. Alex Goligoski
5. Mark Eaton
6. Daryl Sydor
7. Kris Letang

I really think Letang is aspiring to be the next Defenseman to play at LW. I think he is performing well in the offensive zone, and jumping into plays. But the problem is when he jumps into plays it seems like he tires quickly, and cant perform well in the Defensive zone. Thats what i noticed most in the Rangers game. He jumped into the play alot, and as a result he wasnt great in his own zone. Also another thing, when he jumps into the play, he needs to protect the puck better. There was a play in the Rangers game where he carried the puck into the offensive zone, had just gotten in the zone, and he passed it backwards, and well, nobody was there. Luckily the Rangers didnt score on the 2 on 1 going the other way.
PensFanBryan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gage18 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:18 pm

1) Everyone was screaming about how Whitney was horrible last season...

2) Everyone thinks Scuderi isn't very good...I will never understand why people hate on Scuderi...

3) I would actually like to see Letang as a forward...he has the offensive skill...
Gage18
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:32 pm

Gage18 wrote:1) Everyone was screaming about how Whitney was horrible last season...

2) Everyone thinks Scuderi isn't very good...I will never understand why people hate on Scuderi...

3) I would actually like to see Letang as a forward...he has the offensive skill...

I like Letang more for his defense than his offense right now. If a D was going to be a forward, let it be goligoski.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jaysmiter on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:19 pm

Scuderi is our best defenseman right now. Hands down.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:28 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Gage18 wrote:1) Everyone was screaming about how Whitney was horrible last season...

I like Letang more for his defense than his offense right now. If a D was going to be a forward, let it be goligoski.

Yeah, and going off of the above post, I think Letang really hasn't done much offensively, but has been better in his own end (save for maybe a few too many turnovers).
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:29 pm

I'm not disagree with anyone about the top 4 defenseman right now.

For the LONGTERM though...

1. Whitney
2. Orpik
3. Will Gonchar be resigned?
4. Will Scuderi be resigned?
5. Gogo
6. Letang

I doubt we resign Gill.

Future lineup in 3-4 years?

Whitney
Oprik
Gogo
Letang
Sneep?
Strait?
etc
etc

We have good defensive depth now, however for the 5 and 6 defenseman spots could get very interesting in a few years if we don't resign some people.

EDIT: Ever since the emersion of Scuderi, I really haven't cared for Eaton too much. I really think Scudz deserved an extension over Eaton. Or maybe I just haven't seen enough of Eaton to remember how good he was.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:36 pm

Nizzy wrote:
EDIT: Ever since the emersion of Scuderi, I really haven't cared for Eaton too much. I really think Scudz deserved an extension over Eaton. Or maybe I just haven't seen enough of Eaton to remember how good he was.

Eaton was never the same after the Cheechoo hit.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CKA24 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:48 pm

Agreed -- I'll take Scuds over Eaton as well.

I'd say my top four are:
1.) Gonch
2.) Orpik
3.) Whitney
4.) Letang -- I wanted to put Scuds here, but as a body of work, I like Letang there. He's been off this season, but I love what he brings to the table.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:57 pm

Pitts wrote:
netwolf wrote:Referring to Hal Gill ... Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought he was a physical player with a bit of a mean streak. I haven't seen any of that from him this season.

You know how the story goes: once they get to Pittsburgh, they get soft as melted butter. History bears that out.

They need to talk to Rick Tocchet and Ulf Samuelsson and find out why they were seemingly immune to that then.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:44 pm

orpik has to be 1 of the top 4 D-men on our team.

1) why would shero pay all that money for a 5-6 D-man
2) why is he wearing an A...usually a signal of a top player/leader on the team(leadership value counts towards ranking)
3) are you serious that letang/gogo/scudz/eaton are better then him? letang and gogo have the ability to be better than orpik but are not yet because they are lacking experience, scudz and eaton are just sound d-men you dont hear from. So it has to be orpik
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby burghsportsguys on Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:47 pm

I see Whitney very high on a lot of the lists, but I don't think they're missing him at all. In fact, if they were to deal Whitney for a scoring winger, this team would be much better positioned to make a run at the Cup.
burghsportsguys
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Easton on Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:55 pm

burghsportsguys wrote:I see Whitney very high on a lot of the lists, but I don't think they're missing him at all. In fact, if they were to deal Whitney for a scoring winger, this team would be much better positioned to make a run at the Cup.

Are you kidding me? This team severely misses Whitney right now. Him and Gonchar being out is the reason we can't make a breakout pass to save our lives.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins