Top 4 D-men?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Top 4 D-men?

Postby burghsportsguys on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:01 pm

Easton wrote:
burghsportsguys wrote:I see Whitney very high on a lot of the lists, but I don't think they're missing him at all. In fact, if they were to deal Whitney for a scoring winger, this team would be much better positioned to make a run at the Cup.

Are you kidding me? This team severely misses Whitney right now. Him and Gonchar being out is the reason we can't make a breakout pass to save our lives.

And we've had significantly fewer breakdowns in our own zone as well. It's the give and take with offensive defensmen.
burghsportsguys
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Easton on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:21 pm

burghsportsguys wrote:
Easton wrote:
burghsportsguys wrote:I see Whitney very high on a lot of the lists, but I don't think they're missing him at all. In fact, if they were to deal Whitney for a scoring winger, this team would be much better positioned to make a run at the Cup.

Are you kidding me? This team severely misses Whitney right now. Him and Gonchar being out is the reason we can't make a breakout pass to save our lives.

And we've had significantly fewer breakdowns in our own zone as well. It's the give and take with offensive defensmen.

That part is true, but to say they're not missing Whitney isn't correct. He'll learn to play better defense in time, and he played OK defense in his rookie season. I believe last season was an aberration. 'Course, that's just my opinion.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CKA24 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:51 pm

I think this foot thing may have hampered his play more than we know. We'll see his mettle next year.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby UVM2003 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:58 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:
Actually, he was a monster since the moment he was paired up with 55.

Bingo. For some reason, Orpik really, really 'got it' once he was paired with Gonchar. Before that, he was enigmatic - now, he's steady.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wallflower on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:21 pm

UVM2003 wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:

Bingo. For some reason, Orpik really, really 'got it' once he was paired with Gonchar. Before that, he was enigmatic - now, he's steady.

I disagree. I think people only started to notice how well he was playing once he was paired with Gonchar. The couple weeks before the move, he played really well with Letang. Something seemed to "click" after his brief stint at wing.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:23 pm

wallflower wrote:
UVM2003 wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:

I disagree. I think people only started to notice how well he was playing once he was paired with Gonchar. The couple weeks before the move, he played really well with Letang. Something seemed to "click" after his brief stint at wing.

Yeah, playing with Gonchar was a reward for playing great.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jf on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:51 pm

Eaton has always been soft . He gets pushed off the puck way too easily .
jf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins