Big 10 Network and Pens Prospects

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Big 10 Network and Pens Prospects

Postby IronDukes37 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:47 pm

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Big 10 Network and Pens Prospects

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:01 pm

I don't think there is Ice Hockey in the Big 10. Aren't those schools considered part of the CCHA? I don't know if they'd be aired on the Big 10 network even though Michigan State and Michigan schools are Big 10 teams. I guess Ohio State has a team too, so they'd be in the same boat.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jesse on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:03 pm

Only have one "Big 10" prospect. Tim Crowder, a RW playing for Michigan State. Round 5 from 2005. Pretty good power-forward. He's really thin, though. Needs to fill out to be more effective in the power role.

The Penguins have 3 big NCAA prospects. Joe Vitale at Northeastern University, Carl Sneep at Boston College, and Brian Strait at Boston University.

The other NCAA guys they have are Michael Gergen at University of Minnesota-Duluth, Chris Peluso of Bemidji State, Brian Gifford at Denver, and goaltender Chad Johnson at Alaska-Fairbanks, who missed the duration of last year with a High Ankle Sprain.
Last edited by Jesse on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:05 pm

Anyway, looking through rosters, Tim Crowder, a senior at MSU is penguins property, drafted in Crosby's class.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jesse on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:07 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't think there is Ice Hockey in the Big 10. Aren't those schools considered part of the CCHA? I don't know if they'd be aired on the Big 10 network even though Michigan State and Michigan schools are Big 10 teams. I guess Ohio State has a team too, so they'd be in the same boat.

You're correct, there is no "Big 10" in collegiate hockey and I'm not sure the Big 10 Network shows those games. I do know that the College Sports Network does, however.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sieve70 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:11 pm

I do not think the Big Ten Network has hockey on yet, but maybe this season...

Most college hockey can be caught on a respective Fox Sports Net channel - here in WI, I can get Wisconsin and Minnesota games out of the WCHA, and ESPNU has some games pretty often as well...
Sieve70
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Jesse wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I don't think there is Ice Hockey in the Big 10. Aren't those schools considered part of the CCHA? I don't know if they'd be aired on the Big 10 network even though Michigan State and Michigan schools are Big 10 teams. I guess Ohio State has a team too, so they'd be in the same boat.

You're correct, there is no "Big 10" in collegiate hockey and I'm not sure the Big 10 Network shows those games. I do know that the College Sports Network does, however.

See I didn't know much about the Big 10 network, when I heard about it, I just assumed it was a more ridiculously specific version of the NFL network, in that it would only be covering Big 10 Football.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PghSkins on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:41 pm

Big 10 Network shows the WCHA and CCHA games of Big 10 member schools, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State. I haven't been able to find a schedule but they are showing Minnesota vs Wisconsin from last weekend right now, according to their website.

What you should really get is Fox College Sports. Comcast offers it on their sports tier. They show college hockey every weekend- this coming weekend FCS Atlantic has Niagara vs Maine and FCS Central has Minnesota St vs Minnesota.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IronDukes37 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:43 pm

IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:46 pm

I saw the WISC badgers against the Northern Michigan hockey.
? Eaves who used to be penguin assist is now the badgers head coach.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IronDukes37 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:53 pm

IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CKA24 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:06 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Jesse wrote:

See I didn't know much about the Big 10 network, when I heard about it, I just assumed it was a more ridiculously specific version of the NFL network, in that it would only be covering Big 10 Football.

It shows more than football. It will show basketball and all other Big 10 affiliated sports.

Hockey conferences aren't the same as other sports. It also depends on the school -- ex: Penn State has a hockey team, and they are one of the top teams in their league, but because of rink size and its status as a club team they don't play in the NCAA. Ergo no one who has NHL aspirations would even bat an eye at PSU hockey.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby relantel on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:28 pm

^ I think PSU has been an issue of money, and not Title IX, since there is a men's team and a women's team, both at the Club level. At that level, they have won loads, but CKA is right, since they're not in line for the Frozen Four, they are likely to get the person that wants to go to PSU who also happens to play hockey, rather than a hockey player going to a school primarily to play hockey.

I have wondered since the beginning of PSU's involvement in the Big Ten 15 years ago why the whole conference did not have hockey, considering the northern nature of the conference. One could understand why the SEC would not do hockey, but the Big Ten seems ripe for it. But I guess until more than 5 schools are willing to participate at the varsity level, they won't bother. Looks like Illinois is the only other Big Ten school in the most recent D1 ACHA rankings. So it would seem a Big Ten hockey championship would be a long way off.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:29 pm

big ten hockey.

Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State. Don't know there hockey schedule but im sure Big Ten would broadcast a few. Also I had direct TV previously and with that I could get a lot of college games on weird sport channels.
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins