Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby Easton on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:17 am

NJ5934 wrote:
The U wrote:With all of the offensive talent we have....it's crazy to think that on most night our offense is BORING to watch. What the heck is going on here? We should be one of the most exciting teams in the NHL.


T...R...A...P

Therrien teaches it, the Pens play it. Very few Pens fans acknowledge it.

The sad part; the Pens have the offensive talent to play a much more open style game. The reality; as long as Therrien is in town the Pens will trap. It is what he knows and what he believes in. The Penguins were outshot and outplayed the majority of last season. Offensive talent, particularly on the pee pee, has consistently made up for a lack of effort. Considering it took us to the Cup finals last year, my guess is we will see the same program this year.

My suggestion, as I mentioned before, reduce ticket prices to reflect the % of the game the Pens will compete. I would suggest a 40% cut across the board for starters.


Look, the Penguins do not have the defense right now to play another style. Their problem is not that they're playing a trapping game, their problem is they didn't have the drive to generate any offense. They played with the SAME exact system last year and finished 7th in the league in goals for. The problem is not the system, the problem lies with the players right now.

They'll turn it around, and by the end of the year they will once again be towards the top in GF, playing the same trapping system.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,657
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:12 am

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby seth on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:17 am

recent 3rd period shot totals:

NJ outshot Pit 20-2
Wash outshot Pit 21-6
NYR outshot Pit 18-2

or 59-10
seth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:59 am

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby cs6687 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:18 am

San Jose media takes a page from the NY media. Milan Michalek the third star? No Sabourin? Pavelski and Thornton were the first and second stars.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,188
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:02 pm

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:18 am

Jesse wrote:Dany Sabourin just said "Oh ****" on TV.


I thought that was marginally funny. As funny as I can find anythign after this loss. Actually it won't take much to get me to laugh right now. Nevermind.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,559
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby cojac on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:18 am

Jesse wrote:Dany Sabourin just said "Oh ****" on TV.

Probably said it many, many more times during the game.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,002
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:15 pm
Location: Fire Bylsma!

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:18 am

cs6687 wrote:San Jose media takes a page from the NY media. Milan Michalek the third star? No Sabourin? Pavelski and Thornton were the first and second stars.


Grier got screwed thats racist.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,559
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby Jesse on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:18 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Jesse wrote:Dany Sabourin just said "Oh ****" on TV.


I thought that was marginally funny. As funny as I can find anythign after this loss. Actually it won't take much to get me to laugh right now. Nevermind.


Would a picture of an old lady eating cotton candy with no teeth get you to laugh?
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,640
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:19 am

Jesse wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Jesse wrote:Dany Sabourin just said "Oh ****" on TV.


I thought that was marginally funny. As funny as I can find anythign after this loss. Actually it won't take much to get me to laugh right now. Nevermind.


Would a picture of an old lady eating cotton candy with no teeth get you to laugh?


Yes, and/or vomit.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,559
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby netwolf on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:25 am

I realize people are irritated over how the game went, but the grade school insults can stop right about now. If you can't discuss things without resorting to that kind of crap, step away from the keyboard and come back after you cool off. Enough is enough.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,347
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby NJ5934 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:25 am

seth wrote:recent 3rd period shot totals:

NJ outshot Pit 20-2
Wash outshot Pit 21-6
NYR outshot Pit 18-2

or 59-10


Tonights third, 9-3 for a grand total of 68-13 in the four games cited.

Tonights total 34-11.

Like I mentioned before, I would guess the Penguins outshot an opponent a handful of times the entire 2007-08 season. 60 minutes efforts have rarely been there.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,843
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:33 pm
Location: Toms River, NJ

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby seth on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:30 am

NJ5934 wrote:
seth wrote:recent 3rd period shot totals:

NJ outshot Pit 20-2
Wash outshot Pit 21-6
NYR outshot Pit 18-2

or 59-10


Tonights third, 9-3 for a grand total of 68-13 in the four games cited.

Tonights total 34-11.

Like I mentioned before, I would guess the Penguins outshot an opponent a handful of times the entire 2007-08 season. 60 minutes efforts have rarely been there.


Pens outshot their opponents 30 of 82 games last year
seth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:59 am

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby skullman80 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:01 am

My first GDT = epic fail.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,738
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby André on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:48 am

skullman80 wrote:I've actually had this done for like 4 hours, but I didn't want to break the good juju and post it earlier.


Back when I stole the game thread I posted it 11 hours too early and the Pens beat the Flyers 4-0 =)
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,311
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby Waffles on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:52 am

Let's delete this one and move on.
Waffles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,418
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Northern VA

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:15 am

Waaaa, the Pens lost by one goal to one of the better teams in the leauge with 1/2 of the blue line out, 22% of the regular skaters out, and the back-up goaltender in net. 5-3-2 is unacceptable!!

Where's Crosby? Malkin got caught watching. Staal's 20. He's peaked, no future with the team. Goligoski has a whole month under his belt, why isn't he performing well enough to replace Gonchar? Yeo sucks. MT sucks. Satan sucks. This is Letang's second season. Why isn't he playing like an all-star yet? We didn't get 7 PPs, the refs are against us.

Give me a break.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,934
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:41 am

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby bringitonhome on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:18 am

People need to calm down!!!!!

We are on pace for roughly a 96 point season. If the Pens can come through with a nice little run in the middle of the season we will most likely end up with a 100+ point season. I think everyone needs to wait and see what happens in the next 10 games or so.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,499
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:07 am
Location: computer

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby czwalga on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:37 am

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:Waaaa, the Pens lost by one goal to one of the better teams in the leauge with 1/2 of the blue line out, 22% of the regular skaters out, and the back-up goaltender in net. 5-3-2 is unacceptable!!

Where's Crosby? Malkin got caught watching. Staal's 20. He's peaked, no future with the team. Goligoski has a whole month under his belt, why isn't he performing well enough to replace Gonchar? Yeo sucks. MT sucks. Satan sucks. This is Letang's second season. Why isn't he playing like an all-star yet? We didn't get 7 PPs, the refs are against us.

Give me a break.



Not saying the world is ending, but did you watch the game last night?


I watched most of the 7-0 flyers/thrashers game and the pens ass kicking was much worse save for 3 great shifts in the third period.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,476
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby KG on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:59 am

I didn't watch the entire game....infant at home..

But the shot total is all that needs to be said...

Pens 5 on 5 have been putrid all year. Their offensive system so far this season is to play defense, try to force a turnover, that will lead to a power play....They have generated nothing at even strength all year...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,971
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:10 am

I think that the fact that we hung in there against probably the best team i the NHL while...

-Missing our top 2 Dmen, 3 total
-Almost 1/4 of the roster is injured
-Playing our BACKUP goaltender
-Playing on the road in a building that has never treated us well

...says a lot for this team.

Yes, that game was boring as hell and hard to watch. The pens def looked flat, but we were always in the game (thanks mostly to Sab). I still stand by my statement that if we were 100% healthy to start the season we would be 10-0-0 right now. This team is more than fine. Things will come together. There has been a history of slow starts for the Pens the last 2 years (slow YEARS before that...). Come December (the return of Whitney) this team will be hot.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,416
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby KG on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:14 am

PensFanInDC wrote:I think that the fact that we hung in there against probably the best team i the NHL while...

-Missing our top 2 Dmen, 3 total
-Almost 1/4 of the roster is injured
-Playing our BACKUP goaltender
-Playing on the road in a building that has never treated us well

...says a lot for this team.

Yes, that game was boring as hell and hard to watch. The pens def looked flat, but we were always in the game (thanks mostly to Sab). I still stand by my statement that if we were 100% healthy to start the season we would be 10-0-0 right now. This team is more than fine. Things will come together. There has been a history of slow starts for the Pens the last 2 years (slow YEARS before that...). Come December (the return of Whitney) this team will be hot.


I agree that this team will be more than fine...They would not be 10-0 though...They have scored 2.4 goals per game...That's putting to much pressure on the D and goalie. They have to be much more aggressive to create more even strength offense.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,971
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby penny lane on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:28 am

60 mins...only the goalies have played full out for the games. How the forwards played for 4-5 shifts; I think that's how you are suppose to begin games.

Sidney and Evgeni cannot be in the box every game either.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,489
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Summer sunshine heals!

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:36 am

KG wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:I think that the fact that we hung in there against probably the best team i the NHL while...

-Missing our top 2 Dmen, 3 total
-Almost 1/4 of the roster is injured
-Playing our BACKUP goaltender
-Playing on the road in a building that has never treated us well

...says a lot for this team.

Yes, that game was boring as hell and hard to watch. The pens def looked flat, but we were always in the game (thanks mostly to Sab). I still stand by my statement that if we were 100% healthy to start the season we would be 10-0-0 right now. This team is more than fine. Things will come together. There has been a history of slow starts for the Pens the last 2 years (slow YEARS before that...). Come December (the return of Whitney) this team will be hot.


I agree that this team will be more than fine...They would not be 10-0 though...They have scored 2.4 goals per game...That's putting to much pressure on the D and goalie. They have to be much more aggressive to create more even strength offense.


Ah, but with Gonchar and Whitney moving the puck out of the zone on a breakout, or having them on the PP would increase that total but 1.5-2 Goals per game I think. With the goaltending doing as well has it has I think it would be enough. Not that it matters because we are NOT 10-0. I guess we will have to settle for making the playoffs with a better team then the one that started the season....sucks...
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,416
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby Gage18 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:47 am

The only really bad preformances i noticed were Eaton and Satan...

Eaton - You could tell he wasn't going full speed into the boards, and I don't blame him! The Pens don't need that again...

Satan - Consistantly out of position! He is slow and all i heard about before the season started was his stickhandling, and shot accuracy...where the heck did it all go?!??
Gage18
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:36 am
Location: City of Champions!

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby Burnaby_Joe on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:54 am

Gage18 wrote:Satan - Consistantly out of position! He is slow and all i heard about before the season started was his stickhandling, and shot accuracy...where the heck did it all go?!??


I guess we were watching two different games.
Burnaby_Joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 813
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:47 am
Location: Малкин лучший ХОККЕИСТ! :)

Re: Official GDT - 10/28/08 - Penguins @ Sharks

Postby cs6687 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:02 am

Just the team's utter refusal to shoot the puck is enough to tick me off.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,188
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:02 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

e-mail