Are We Overpassing?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Are We Overpassing?

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:39 pm

Penguins? Overpass? Come on, what is this tom-foolery? 11 shots is normal, and is an outstanding number.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Corvidae on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:42 pm

wallflower wrote:We aren't overpassing. Or at least I'm not. I don't know about everyone else.

Sometimes I do. One time my dad asked me to pass the mashed potatoes and I threw them through the wall. That was some major over passing.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:05 pm

Corvidae wrote:
wallflower wrote:We aren't overpassing. Or at least I'm not. I don't know about everyone else.

Sometimes I do. One time my dad asked me to pass the mashed potatoes and I threw them through the wall. That was some major over passing.

When I play, I pass a good deal. I feel its a good mix.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bathgate on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:22 pm

I started this thread to promote some interesting discussion on the merits of passing versus shooting in key scoring situations. Of the 26 response posts, only 3 contain legitimate discussion. That's unfortunate!
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:23 pm

Bathgate wrote:I started this thread to promote some interesting discussion on the merits of passing versus shooting in key scoring situations. Of the 26 response posts, only 3 contain legitimate discussion. That's unfortunate!

Thats about right.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:39 pm

Bathgate wrote:I started this thread to promote some interesting discussion on the merits of passing versus shooting in key scoring situations. Of the 26 response posts, only 3 contain legitimate discussion. That's unfortunate!

Welcome to LGP.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wallflower on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:14 pm

No offense intended but I dislike when people refer to their favorite team as "we" instead of they. "We" are not on the team nor do "we" work for the organization (so far as I know). Just a pet peeve of mine. As this is a forum designed for people to share their opinions, I shared mine about the thread title.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:17 pm

wallflower wrote:

No offense intended but I dislike when people refer to their favorite team as "we" instead of they. "We" are not on the team nor do "we" work for the organization (so far as I know). Just a pet peeve of mine. As this is a forum designed for people to share their opinions, I shared mine about the thread title.

Agreed, but I also felt there was no need for a real response anyway in a topic that has been done to death over the past few seasons.

EDIT: Wow I may actually be one of those serious responses upon looking back.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wallflower on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:21 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
wallflower wrote:

Agreed, but I also felt there was no need for a real response anyway in a topic that has been done to death over the past few seasons.

EDIT: Wow I may actually be one of those serious responses upon looking back.

I don't understand the obsession some have with how others respond to threads. If it's not useful/interesting, just scroll past it. *shrug*

An actual serious response? Are you feeling well? :lol:
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:22 pm

Actually I am starting to get sick. Saturday night standing out in the cold and drinking for about 10 hours probably did it.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:24 pm

Overpassing? not for long...Kovalchuk does not pass...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Corvidae on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:36 pm

I try not to say "we" but sometimes I do. Please forgive me, because it will likely happen sometime in the future.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:36 pm

Corvidae wrote:I try not to say "we" but sometimes I do. Please forgive me, because it will likely happen sometime in the future.

I even say it too, but then feel dumb. Everyone says it though, so it just kinda slips. It does annoy me a lot though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wallflower on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:40 pm

Corvidae wrote:I try not to say "we" but sometimes I do. Please forgive me, because it will likely happen sometime in the future.

I'm not judging, just saying it's a pet peeve of mine. :)

I'll sometimes say it when I'm actually speaking with someone else. But when I'm typing, I make a conscious effort not to say "we."
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Corvidae on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:40 pm

KG wrote:Overpassing? not for long...Kovalchuk does not pass...

or play any defense whatsoever.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wallflower on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:41 pm

Sorry, OP, for making the thread go even more off-topic.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dagny on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:03 am

Yeah, me too. I go both ways . . . Image
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dagny on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:08 am

wallflower wrote:I'm not judging, just saying it's a pet peeve of mine. :)

Y'know . . .

THERE'S A THREAD FOR THAT!!! :P
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:08 am

dagny wrote:

I go both ways too.

What are we talking about?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dagny on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:57 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
dagny wrote:

I go both ways too.

What are we talking about?

Ellipses?Image
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ru10tu10 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:17 am

Actually Bathgate, judging from your name and from a post of yours that I read previously, we are contemporsries. Don't worry about your serious question being transformed into something else, it's a major pastime for some of the more frequent posters here. Not to say that it is bad, it's just all in fun.

The fact that the Penguins are overpassing (and undershooting) is a topic that has been brought up ad nauseum over the past several years - and rightly so. You are dead on with what many of us have been saying, that is 'shoot the puck' - look at what success a team like Philadelphia, with (in my mind, lesser talent) has had with their philosophy of shooting and then charging the net.

Holy heck, Zubov, Zubov....Letang, Letang?

I like yourself have seen more than one too many Crosby blind behind the back passes to the wrong team take place. And overpassing to especially Dupuis when a shot when would have much more in order.

I think that our missing the big (and confident) presence of both Whitney and especially Gonchar on the point have hurt in the shooting department as well.

Point well taken Bathgate - you do not score if you do not shoot...

Thanks for your post
ru10tu10
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby André on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:42 am

mac5155 wrote:Lemieux with the puck,
he gives it off to Francis.
Who passes it to Nedved
who gives it back to Francis,
who passes it to Zubov,
who slides it on the boards.
Back around to Mario
so we can shout once more:
SHOOT THE PUCK! SHOOT THE PUCK!"

wonderful :)

Btw I lost my old harddrive. Anyone have those old KDKA songs lying around?

We never shooooot, we'd rather pass, but even so, we'll kick your arse =)
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby André on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:44 am

ru10tu10 wrote:

Actually Bathgate, judging from your name and from a post of yours that I read previously, we are contemporsries. Don't worry about your serious question being transformed into something else, it's a major pastime for some of the more frequent posters here. Not to say that it is bad, it's just all in fun.

The fact that the Penguins are overpassing (and undershooting) is a topic that has been brought up ad nauseum over the past several years - and rightly so. You are dead on with what many of us have been saying, that is 'shoot the puck' - look at what success a team like Philadelphia, with (in my mind, lesser talent) has had with their philosophy of shooting and then charging the net.

Holy heck, Zubov, Zubov....Letang, Letang?

I like yourself have seen more than one too many Crosby blind behind the back passes to the wrong team take place. And overpassing to especially Dupuis when a shot when would have much more in order.

I think that our missing the big (and confident) presence of both Whitney and especially Gonchar on the point have hurt in the shooting department as well.

Point well taken Bathgate - you do not score if you do not shoot...

Thanks for your post

I like you guys.

Bathgate: From a new member's perspective your post and reaction is completely understandable. It's just that the issue has been beaten to death here. Over and over again.

Sid does seem to shoot more this year, like he said he would, but we're still seeing some forced passes, for sure.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Waffles on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:33 am

One thing about kovalchuk: passing will not be an issue with that guy. EVER.
Waffles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby kalika on Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:25 am

wallflower wrote:

I'm not judging, just saying it's a pet peeve of mine. :)

I'll sometimes say it when I'm actually speaking with someone else. But when I'm typing, I make a conscious effort not to say "we."

That's how I am as well. I even type "we" often and then spend time changing it before submitting, though I'm sure "we" makes it through once in a while. Though, I don't think it's that big a deal one way or the other.
kalika
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins