Third Jerseys unveiled on Nov. 5th

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Third Jerseys unveiled on Nov. 5th

Postby Va Beach Pens Fan on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:10 pm

My new gig at Kukla's Korner at least allows me to get the press releases from Paul...

----------------------------

PENGUINS PLAYERS TO INTRODUCE THIRD JERSEY NOVEMBER 5

Kennedy, Letang, Goligoski, Bissonnette and Godard to take part;

Event at Dick’s Sporting Goods in The Mall at Robinson is open to the public

Pittsburgh Penguins players Tyler Kennedy, Kris Letang, Alex Goligoski, Paul Bissonnette and Eric Godard will be on hand to model the Penguins’ third jersey Wednesday, November 5 at Dick’s Sporting Goods in The Mall at Robinson. The event will be held from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. and is open to the public free of charge.

The jersey and uniform are the same light blue color pattern that the Penguins wore in last season’s NHL Winter Classic against the Buffalo Sabres on New Year’s Day. The light blue color pattern was originally used by the team in the 1970s.

“The blue uniform at the Winter Classic was designed as a one-time thing, but it became so popular among our fans that we decided to ask the league’s permission to use it as our third jersey,” said team president David Morehouse. “It serves a dual purpose – it is a dynamic new look for our current generation of fans, but it also has its roots back in the 70s, so it honors the rich history of the Penguins franchise in Pittsburgh.”

The Penguins third jersey will be worn for select home games during the 2008-09 season starting with the November 15 contest against Buffalo.

The jerseys will be on sale starting Wednesday at all area Dick’s Sporting Goods locations.

FSN play-by-play broadcaster Paul Steigerwald will emcee the event. The current players will be on hand from 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. Penguins’ alumni and Stanley Cup Champions Bryan Trottier and Ken Wregget will sign autographs from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. Iceburgh, the team’s mascot, and members of the Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield Vision Plans Pens Patrol will also be in attendance.

Dick’s Sporting Goods in The Mall at Robinson is located at 5000 Robinson Centre Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15205. For more information, please visit www.pittsburghpenguins.com.
Va Beach Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Third Jerseys unveiled on Nov. 5th

Postby scals37 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:39 pm

Im still confused.... i keep hearing that the jerseys are to be different than the winter classic's and then i keep hearing theyre going to be the same.... :?
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JS© on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:21 pm

I thought I read somewhere that there might be a slightly different font used around the logo.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:33 pm

purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bringitonhome on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:48 pm

Sweet! Looks like I will be buying a new jersey soon.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby laholm64 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:04 pm

Just in time to be added to my Christmas list.
laholm64

Postby penny lane on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:53 pm

I was hoping for more white in the uni versus blue. But, it is a blue one. :)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:27 pm

It would be funny if they used the LV gold on the penguins instead of the real gold so they are more like the chinese knockoffs :)
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby beerman on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:50 pm

I'm not going to buy one, I'm afraid that if too many sell they'll do what is rumored and go with the baby blues as the primary jerseys when the new arena opens.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:56 pm

From icethetics.info (that guy changes URLs way too much)

Expect to see some slight differences such as added piping and the Vegas gold replacing the classic gold. I'm not certain on this but I do believe the jerseys will be different in some way. Obviously they want to save the one-time-only aspect of those Winter Classic sweaters.

http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2008/11 ... iling.html

Just say no to piping!
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sams_Dog on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:19 pm

These are going to be big sellers. They have grown on me big time. Still like the home blacks the best but these are nice.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Third Jersey Introduced Wednesday at Dick's

Postby KewellHandLuke on Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:54 pm

Being in Texas, I'm a little out of the loop. I saw that the Pens will introduce a third jersey wednesday and will resemble the baby blues from the winter classic. Are there any pics of the new jerseys yet? I'm guessing that they'll be wearing them on Thursday.
KewellHandLuke
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Third Jersey Introduced Wednesday at Dick's

Postby bringitonhome on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:04 pm

KewellHandLuke wrote:Being in Texas, I'm a little out of the loop. I saw that the Pens will introduce a third jersey wednesday and will resemble the baby blues from the winter classic. Are there any pics of the new jerseys yet? I'm guessing that they'll be wearing them on Thursday.

No.
No.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:04 pm

mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby hbkrulez1 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:00 pm

mac5155 wrote:http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=389450

not used in a game until Nov 15

does anyone have any idea if they have released the schedule for the dates in which the third jersey will be used? im going to the game against the canucks on the 22nd and while id love to see it worn, im assuming that it will be worn in more interesting matchups like in games against the Flyers or Rangers.
hbkrulez1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby nocera on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:11 pm

I'm guessing that they'll wear it for one of the Versus games this month. Possibly the Wings game on the 11th.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:13 pm

There is one of these stores in the North Hills...not everything has to happen @ The Mall at Robinson. :)

Macy's downtown has women's fitted ice blue/white reebok penguin jerseys. Very cool.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TO_Pens_Fan on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:12 am

I hope the jerseys are the same as the Winter Classic ones, but I have a feeling they will be at least slightly different.

The Winter Classic jerseys sold very well and the Penguins would love the opportunity to release a slightly different version of the jersey in hopes of increasing sales.

I have a bad feeling that there will be piping, like on the new Sabres jerseys.
TO_Pens_Fan

Postby scals37 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:18 am

new style jerseys... even slightly different make more people willing to buy them... simple economic strategy....
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby WhoDaresWins on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:37 am

nocera wrote:I'm guessing that they'll wear it for one of the Versus games this month. Possibly the Wings game on the 11th.

Nope....not until the 15th....

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=389450

"The Penguins third jersey will be worn for select home games during the 2008-09 season starting with the November 15 contest against Buffalo."
WhoDaresWins
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby T.K. on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:56 am

I really hope this doesn't mark the transition, to the full time colors of the pens going to powder blue & dark blue instead of black & gold.

Look at the past history of the franchise, every-time a 3rd jersey was introduced it was later incorporated into the fold then took over as a regular jersey.

If this happens I will be VERY pissed...
T.K.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby beerman on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:13 am

T.K. wrote:I really hope this doesn't mark the transition, to the full time colors of the pens going to powder blue & dark blue instead of black & gold.

Look at the past history of the franchise, every-time a 3rd jersey was introduced it was later incorporated into the fold then took over as a regular jersey.

If this happens I will be VERY pissed...

this is why I won't be buying one
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WHITEY1 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:09 am

Maybe they are just hinting at that to throw everyone for a loop. Maybe (HOPEFULLY!!!!) when they come walkiong out of wherever, they will be wearing the old BLACK AND YELLOW JERSEY COLORS AGAIN, fingers crossed heres hoping.
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Three Stars on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:35 am

If it's not downright hideous, I'll probably be getting a 3rd. I might save up for an authentic one, since I don't like the look of the current replicas.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Killiecrankie on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:42 am

I dont understand why this organization feels the need to **** up EVERY SINGLE GOOD JERSEY THEY HAVE EVER HAD. It's pathetic, yes I bought a winter classic jersey because those jerseys were/are awesome. I was planning on buying a new one with Fleury when they are released Nov. 5th. If they change the Jerseys like that retarded looking Buffalo "classic", I will never buy a jersey again. Not that they or anyone here cares.

Use the blue winter CLASSIC as the third jersey and go back to the 1991/1992 Jersey designs. Why does everyone feel the need to **** everything up all the time for a quick buck???? The pens do not even get a direct percentage of jerseys they sell, it goes to the friggen NHL. Thats why I respect Lou Lamarillo, NJ has a very very good jersey and they have not and will not change it.

**** stupid
Killiecrankie

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins