Who here regrets staying up for the West Coast games?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Do you regret staying up for the West Coast games?

Yes
47%
No
47%
I didn't
7%

Total votes : 43

Who here regrets staying up for the West Coast games?

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:05 am

As bad as it was, I'm glad I stayed up.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Who here regrets staying up for the West Coast games?

Postby Easton on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:07 am

I don't regret it. I have a class at 9:00 am tomorrow, with about 2 hrs worth of reading to do - but I don't regret it.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wallflower on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:11 am

Don't regret it at all. It's Penguins hockey, I love it and hate missing games (even when they lose or suck).
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:11 am

It's hard for me to regret what I can't really get a grip on sometimes: insomnia.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Antonio on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:56 am

I live in Vegas so I didn't stay up, yet...I almost regret it. Thank God for center ice, which makes me watch the games anyway since I paid ~$2 a game for them. :)
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby letsgopens87 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:00 am

It's not that I regret it, but I really should have been writing this paper instead of watching the game. :?
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby EagleMorph on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:39 am

I never regret Penguins hockey.

I didn't regret it when I was a wee lad watching Mario Lemieux dingle and dangle his way to two Stanley Cups and Tommy Barrasso made me want to be a goalie. I was slow and I couldn't skate, so there was no way that I ever had visions of being Lemieux.

I didn't regret it when I learned about heartbreak a year later, when the New York Islanders etched themselves as being worse than the Devil for making the Penguins lose.

I didn't regret it when I went to the Mellon Arena for the first time a year after Lemieux retired for the first time. Sure, I didn't see him play live until late in his career, but I did see 5 goals as the Penguins destroyed Boston in an April playoff tuneup.

I didn't regret it when I hovered around the TV following the flurry of trades that brought Jan Hrdina to Pittsburgh, and then watched the lines and numbers for the new players so I could update my PlayStation roster.

I didn't regret it when I heard Lemieux might come back, and I sure as hell didn't regret it when I agreed to help out more around the house so I could watch his return uninterrupted.

I didn't regret it when we acquired Shawn Heins and I firmly believed we'd be chanting for "Heins 57" for years to come.

I didn't regret it when I plotted out how many games I could conceivably see my first year living in Pittsburgh as a college student, only to be hit with the lockout.

I didn't regret it when I thought crying would be normal after hearing the Pens were getting Sidney Crosby.

I didn't regret it when the league returned and I stood in line 17 times for student rush to get tickets.

I didn't regret it when I lost my good luck charm just before the Ottawa series two seasons ago.

I didn't regret it when I tore apart my knuckles from jumping in the air and smacking my hand off of the ceiling when Hossa scored against the Rangers.

I didn't regret it when I stayed up late into the night for the 3OT thriller against Detroit, because I believed that it wasn't over.

I didn't regret it when Hossa's last second shot scampered in front of the net and didn't go in in Game 6, nor when he bolted and left for the enemy.

And I don't regret posting all of this at 2:37EST on LetsGoPens after staying up to watch the Pens lose again on a west coast trip.

I don't regret it, because it's Penguins hockey IN Pittsburgh, when it could easily be in Hamilton, or Kansas City, or Las Vegas. I don't regret it, because it could be someone other than Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, and others skating out there. It could still be Ramzi Abid and Rico Fata with JS Aubin in net.

I don't regret it, because it's Penguins hockey.
EagleMorph
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:48 am

Any chance I can watch the Pens play I do.Regrets?Nope!!!
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Why Not Us on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:12 am

Paul Steigerwald is an idiot, but I agreed with him as last year's STH Town Hall Meeting when he said we're STH's because we enjoy the journey. And whether or not the game is on the West or East Coast, at 1 pm or 10:30- it's still part of the journey and I'm glad to be on it.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:17 am

If its ever a completely lost game, I'll regret it. But on Tuesday that crazy breakout that resulted in the goal was enough to make it worth it(thats ignoring Sabu's pcp-driven insanity in net), and tonight even if they didn't score, Malkin was worth the price of admission. There is always something that makes it worth it, but if somehow there was a complete lack of effort from every single player, i'd regret it. Its why I could watch pre-lockout, even fata and the like were hustling and at least making exciting plays every night.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dagny on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:27 am

EagleMorph wrote:I never regret Penguins hockey.

I didn't regret it when I was a wee lad watching Mario Lemieux dingle and dangle his way to two Stanley Cups and Tommy Barrasso made me want to be a goalie. I was slow and I couldn't skate, so there was no way that I ever had visions of being Lemieux.

I didn't regret it when I learned about heartbreak a year later, when the New York Islanders etched themselves as being worse than the Devil for making the Penguins lose.

I didn't regret it when I went to the Mellon Arena for the first time a year after Lemieux retired for the first time. Sure, I didn't see him play live until late in his career, but I did see 5 goals as the Penguins destroyed Boston in an April playoff tuneup.

I didn't regret it when I hovered around the TV following the flurry of trades that brought Jan Hrdina to Pittsburgh, and then watched the lines and numbers for the new players so I could update my PlayStation roster.

I didn't regret it when I heard Lemieux might come back, and I sure as hell didn't regret it when I agreed to help out more around the house so I could watch his return uninterrupted.

I didn't regret it when we acquired Shawn Heins and I firmly believed we'd be chanting for "Heins 57" for years to come.

I didn't regret it when I plotted out how many games I could conceivably see my first year living in Pittsburgh as a college student, only to be hit with the lockout.

I didn't regret it when I thought crying would be normal after hearing the Pens were getting Sidney Crosby.

I didn't regret it when the league returned and I stood in line 17 times for student rush to get tickets.

I didn't regret it when I lost my good luck charm just before the Ottawa series two seasons ago.

I didn't regret it when I tore apart my knuckles from jumping in the air and smacking my hand off of the ceiling when Hossa scored against the Rangers.

I didn't regret it when I stayed up late into the night for the 3OT thriller against Detroit, because I believed that it wasn't over.

I didn't regret it when Hossa's last second shot scampered in front of the net and didn't go in in Game 6, nor when he bolted and left for the enemy.

And I don't regret posting all of this at 2:37EST on LetsGoPens after staying up to watch the Pens lose again on a west coast trip.

I don't regret it, because it's Penguins hockey IN Pittsburgh, when it could easily be in Hamilton, or Kansas City, or Las Vegas. I don't regret it, because it could be someone other than Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, and others skating out there. It could still be Ramzi Abid and Rico Fata with JS Aubin in net.

I don't regret it, because it's Penguins hockey.

POTW!
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:38 am

thx EM. great stuff
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:06 am

Looking back, I've been sick since last week, staying up until 1:30 and 1:00 certainly did not help matters. The one good thing was I was able to see how bad they actually played vs SJ, looking at the score it may have appeared they played well.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:23 am

I used to like doing it, but seeing how poorly the pens play, feeling bad physically the next day and then having to deal with the emotional frustration at watching your ultra talented favorite team ... well suck I guess is appropriate. And to spew more on how bad NHL Gamecentre Live has been.... just not the season start that I was hoping for.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Waffles on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:25 am

As I said before, no pain, no gain.
Waffles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:38 am

I hate to be a smartass, but Jan Hrdina did not come over in a trade. Jiri?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IrishEyes on Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:19 am

I've been sick since Tuesday, and I stayed up for both games. I feel like complete crap, but it's Friday. I can suffer through the workday and sleep in tomorrow.

And really, nothing I put here is going to out-do EM's post. EM, you win, hands-down. :D
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:41 am

I regret pounding a few beers this friday morning.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:50 am

I fell asleep at the start of the third. I used to love the west coast games when i was in college but now its not so attractive.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby André on Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:53 am

I got up at 3 am to watch. What sucks even more than the outcome is I at first accidentally set my alarm to 1 am and broke my sleep.

I've been ok at work today though, gradually getting used to sleeping less.

And Malkin was fun to watch, as always.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:53 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:I fell asleep at the start of the third. I used to love the west coast games when i was in college but now its not so attractive.

i fell asleep on my couch at 7:40 EST.

can't wait to see what i'm like when i'm 75
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:31 pm

Well, I fell asleep halfway through the Sharks game and woke up a half an hour after it ended. So that should tell you how much I enjoyed it.

Last night I made it through, but then I wished I instead went to my buddy's bar for a beer.

If Pens games will look like this from now on, I'll probably just check out the NHL On The Fly show the next morning to catch up on what happened. I'm not there yet and won't be there for a while, but....... they better not tempt me.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby scals37 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:39 pm

my head and my stomach sure regret it today.....
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:45 pm

i dont regret watching it. never do.

i do however regret drinking alot of beer while watching it. my head is pounding
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WWGRD on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:30 pm

EagleMorph -- one of the best post I've ever read.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins