My Target List - Staal and Eaton

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

My Target List - Staal and Eaton

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:44 am

The two poster boys for the current struggles.

They are two of the most awkward, docile players in the league and are getting more minutes than either of them deserve. If you want aggressive, physical play - why play these two?

Discuss........
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: My Target List - Staal and Eaton

Postby spi on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:46 am

Both are on my next to sit list. I would much rather see Sydor in place of Eaton
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stunned! on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:56 am

I know that he is a young player, but you may want to add GoGo to this list as well. He was awful last night and didn't look that great against SJ. I am not bashing him, but maybe a game or two in the pressbox will wake him up a little.
Stunned!

Postby Pitts on Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:00 am

Staal, Eaton, #2 pick ----> Kovalchuk
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:07 am

I just don't understand how Jordan Staal can no longer protect the puck as he did as a rookie. Mystifying.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:20 am

penny lane wrote:I just don't understand how Jordan Staal can no longer protect the puck as he did as a rookie. Mystifying.

I think it is because too often he is not moving his feet. 230lbs moving is a lot harder to control than 230 lbs standing still and trying to shield you. Players are backing off from his body and using their stick. I just don't think he is ever going to score or be as dangerous as he was in his rookie year.

His best game of the year was against his brother and Carolina, and he was skating hard all night. Last night, and too many nights the last 2 seasons, he has been watching the play and skating only after "deciding" he should go after the puck. At the NHL level, that is too late, especially for a guy who is not quick off the blocks.

He needs to skate harder every second, and also make it a point to drive the net. Stop and start play and perimeter play are not his strong suits.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:28 am

Pitts wrote:Staal, Eaton, #2 pick ----> Kovalchuk

Not gonna get er done...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:32 am

Sydor played well. Eaton definately should have been sat. Gogo is playing well for his role. He's not making anything more than the rookie or even the vet mistake of a defenseman who is offenive minded.

Orpik-Scuds
Letang-Gill
Sydor-Gogo

As for Staal, he soff. How mnay times to he get thrown off the puck last night?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:35 am

DelPen wrote:Sydor played well. Eaton definately should have been sat. Gogo is playing well for his role. He's not making anything more than the rookie or even the vet mistake of a defenseman who is offenive minded.

Orpik-Scuds
Letang-Gill
Sydor-Gogo

As for Staal, he soff. How mnay times to he get thrown off the puck last night?

Each game Staal plays like this, the lower his trade value is (I'm kidding)...I think... :wink:
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:00 pm

Eaton was terrible last night and it was probably his worst game in a Pen uniform, but I don't know if until this week he was a liability on the blueline. Staal is suffering from unrealistic expectations due to where he was drafted and suspect scouting falling in love with his physical tools he has, but he's just one of several who are not performing solidly night in and night out presently. A night off in the pressbox might help at this point, then you can start sending the others who aren't doing much either. At least Minard arrived last focused on trying to put pucks in the net and generate chances.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby laholm64 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:01 pm

People need to stop defending Staal because of unreal expectations placed on a #2 overall pick. The truth is NOBODY on that team gets more ice time for less production. How many guys have been sent down and/or called up from WBS in the past 2 seasons? Why hasn't Staal been subjected to the same punishments as the other young players? This guy plays like garbage and he still finds himself on the 2nd or 3rd line every night. How is that fair to the other young players who are trying to make it in the NHL? I'm sick of the special treatment he gets. He may end up being a great player, but until he starts showing a little more he should have less ice time or watch from the press box.
laholm64

Postby KG on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:03 pm

laholm64 wrote:People need to stop defending Staal because of unreal expectations placed on a #2 overall pick. The truth is NOBODY on that team gets more ice time for less production. How many guys have been sent down and/or called up from WBS in the past 2 seasons? Why hasn't Staal been subjected to the same punishments as the other young players? This guy plays like garbage and he still finds himself on the 2nd or 3rd line every night. How is that fair to the other young players who are trying to make it in the NHL? I'm sick of the special treatment he gets. He may end up being a great player, but until he starts showing a little more he should have less ice time or watch from the press box.

Because he is Ray and MT's boy...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sabres_Fan on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:17 pm

I think coaches are now able to game plan for Staal better. When he was a rookie there wasnt any NHL game tape on him. Now they can see his strengths and weaknesses and game plan around them. As far as Eaton goes he was always good for blocking shots and never was expected to be a above average D man. As with Pgh Buffalo has the injury bug too losing Tallinder, Connolly (suprise), Hecht, Gaustad (very Malone like and money on the face offs) and Rivet. Once everyone is healthy everything should start clicking again.
Sabres_Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Pittsburgh, pa (via Buffalo in a little town known as Pominville)

Postby MikeS on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:26 pm

Staal played like a madman against NYR and the 'Canes. If they could distribute a Staal brother to the other 26 teams, Jordan may become a superstar!
MikeS
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:58 pm

The Snapshot wrote:They are two of the most awkward, docile players in the league and are getting more minutes than either of them deserve. If you want aggressive, physical play - why play these two?

Add Hal Gill to that list. He hasn't played an aggressive or physical game since the Finals last year.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WWGRD on Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:01 pm

Gill hasn't played as physical as he should have, but he has been really good on the PK. (besides last night's blunder)
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:21 pm

That's because when he's killing penalties he doesn't have to cover as much as ice and that somewhat hides his lack of mobility/agility.

Being good on the PK is nice and all, but that doesn't mean a whole lot when he's a liability at even strength and IMO, he has been since this season started.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:35 pm

Eaton played well early in his Pens' tenure, before he got hurt the first time. After he came back from that, he stunk. Last year, he was OK before he got hurt, but nothing great. But for some reason, people here were proclaiming him to be Larry Robinson.

This is what Mark Eaton is, and it's why he's only making $1.5 million/yr, when a lot of crappy defensemen are making twice that. It's because he's more than crappy. How he is playing is not a surprise.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins