Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:18 pm

I think the biggest issue here is that a player just shouldn't say things like that about another player. It was very selfish and unprofessional on Semin's part. I think that most players do respect one another, especially when it comes to players on Sidney's level. Even if Semin may personally like other players better than Sidney, he should show better judgment and keep these thoughts to himself.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:37 pm

"You know, Alex, I can hardly believe how awesome I am." - "Sigh. Here we go again..."

"Say, Alex, how come you rather hang out with me than with Alex lately?" - "Shut up, Nick."
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:53 pm

littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sams_Dog on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:09 pm

Print that and post in in Crosby's locker for the rest of the year.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:21 pm

Some people prefer to take a warm and fuzzy approach but Semin seems to take a warm and salty approach.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby André on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:23 pm

Henry Hank wrote:All-time points per game:

Gretzky: 1.92
Lemieux: 1.88
Bossy: 1.50
Orr: 1.39
Crosby: 1.37

Yes, he's special. And he's done that in an era that's comparatively low scoring. And he's still only 21. He's only now at the point in which Gretzky and Lemieux started to hit their primes. We haven't seen Sid's best.

That's also a good stat to show people claiming tons of forwards scored crazy numbers back in the 80s (thinking 66 and 99 weren't extremes).
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:31 pm

dagny wrote:
dagny wrote:
Here's Semin, as interviewed and translated by Dmitry Chesnokov of Sovetsky Sport:

Anytime I see something like the above quote, it is always a red flag to take what is reported with a grain of salt.

There is ALWAYS something lost in translation, along with the language barrier. Especially, with Russian/Macedonian/Slavic languages.

I reiterate.

Taking that into consideration, we're now 2 days from those comments and we have yet to see the standard "What I said was taken out of context/improperly translated" comments that seem to follow a story like this.

The Caps have played since then - last night specifically - and he hasn't retracted his comments.

The usual "class" shown by Caps fans: excuses, conspiracy theories, etc.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:32 pm

http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2008020152

"What's so special about Semin?" :)
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:45 pm

I came across this picture the other day... and I can't seem to find the one with Semin next to it. What? Oh. Never mind. My bad.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MikeBossyDrankIcedTea on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:47 pm

Gaucho wrote:Image

"You know, Alex, I can hardly believe how awesome I am." - "Sigh. Here we go again..."

"Say, Alex, how come you rather hang out with me than with Alex lately?" - "Shut up, Nick."

Awesome Picture LOL!! :P
MikeBossyDrankIcedTea
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:32 am

I had a Caps fan tell me that his comments were about Crosby's off ice attitude and his persona. That it had nothing to do with his skill on the ice. I asked if he even read the comment and he told me that he read it a few times. I swear they are even in denial about the comments their players make.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:58 am

This comment made waves around the league -- I heard it on TSN's hockey roundup and during HNIC intermission break. P.J. Stock compared Semin's Saturday with Crosby's. The Craps were shut out, btw. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mnpensfan on Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:39 am

[quote="JS©"]
Taking that into consideration, we're now 2 days from those comments and we have yet to see the standard "What I said was taken out of context/improperly translated" comments that seem to follow a story like this.

The Caps have played since then - last night specifically - and he hasn't retracted his comments.
quote]

I don't want Semin to retract his comments. I want Sidney to remember these comments and let them simmer until they play next. A mad Crosby is a more effective Crosby.....just ask the Flyers......I can't wait until Jan 14th..... :twisted:
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gilmore_Tuttle on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:09 pm

the difference between Ovie, Semin and Crosby is that Crosby invigorates an entire team to follow his lead and and his example he sets on and off the ice... Plus the fact that he is a elite talent, who makes people around him, better and can make a whole team better just because of his style of play.... Crosby = playoffs 2 straight years and Final appearance already... Semin and Ovechkin= See Brett Hull and Pat Lafontaine
Gilmore_Tuttle
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Ginger on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:56 pm

My question is this. Why should he issue a retraction for something that he obviously believes is true? Think about it a moment. He himself is talented, & he plays on a team with another very talented individual, maybe two others if you watch the progression of Backstrom. So...if he'd been gushing all over the place & said that Sid was just the best thing to happen to the league, then everyone here would have been thrilled to death & be talking about what a cool & intelligent guy Semin was. But because he happened to take another road, everyone thinks he should just keep his 'dumb' opinions to himself & not comment on another player? It's just not done? Of course it's done! It's done every time a player is asked about another player.

Listen, honestly, I'm not trying to start anything at all here, but he is allowed to speak negatively just as much as he's allowed to speak positively. It's only his opinion!! You don't have to agree with it but you can't demand he take it all back.

When my husband gets criticized at work & somebody says he's a blankhole, he says that person is an idiot. But if the same person a few months later says he's really smart & does good work, then all of a sudden he's a great guy! Understand what I'm saying? Did it ever occur to him it may be the other way around? We have a tendency to think that people who think the same way we do are smarter & nicer. It says a little about us, doesn't it? :D
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Burnaby_Joe on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:08 pm

More I look at it, more it looks like a clever PR ploy designed to create a parralel rivalry to one between Geno and AO, and in the process, up the Caps image.
Burnaby_Joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gilmore_Tuttle on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:12 pm

Burnaby_Joe wrote:More I look at it, more it looks like a clever PR ploy designed to create a parralel rivalry to one between Geno and AO, and in the process, up the Caps image.

Pretty bad when you have 3 so called great talents and this is your route to up PR... Maybe just try and win...or shut up and play.......
Gilmore_Tuttle
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:19 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08308/924884-125.stm

Mr. D Molinari writes his response to the deadwood issue. :P
I wish Sid would respond to these people, just once, with his on-ice vocabulary. Of course he takes the public high road and ignores it.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:22 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:This comment made waves around the league -- I heard it on TSN's hockey roundup and during HNIC intermission break. P.J. Stock compared Semin's Saturday with Crosby's. The Craps were shut out, btw. :lol:

nice - I'm curious, what else did they say?

Did Cherry (or more importantly, Maclean) mention it on coach's corner?
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ginger on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:23 pm

Burnaby_Joe wrote:More I look at it, more it looks like a clever PR ploy designed to create a parralel rivalry to one between Geno and AO, and in the process, up the Caps image.

I tend to agree - this could be a part of it too. I don't doubt Semin said it, but the club would jump on it & use it to create tensions between the two clubs. Why not? It's the way to sell tickets & get people fired up to watch the rivals spar off. Ovie to Geno - Alex Semin now against Sid? Personally I love it!
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Burnaby_Joe on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:26 pm

Gilmore_Tuttle wrote:

Pretty bad when you have 3 so called great talents and this is your route to up PR... Maybe just try and win...or shut up and play.......

in the marketing world there's saying, "any buzz is better than no buzz"............I guess they are taking that road..........
Burnaby_Joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gilmore_Tuttle on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:45 pm

Burnaby_Joe wrote:
Gilmore_Tuttle wrote:

in the marketing world there's saying, "any buzz is better than no buzz"............I guess they are taking that road..........

I wish I had a buzz right now!
Gilmore_Tuttle
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:18 pm

Steve wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:This comment made waves around the league -- I heard it on TSN's hockey roundup and during HNIC intermission break. P.J. Stock compared Semin's Saturday with Crosby's. The Craps were shut out, btw. :lol:

nice - I'm curious, what else did they say?

Did Cherry (or more importantly, Maclean) mention it on coach's corner?

Stock just played some highlights of Crosby setting up the two goals, battling along the boards, etc. Then they showed Semin and the Craps getting shutout. Pretty tame stuff. Evidently, Don Cherry defended Sid during the first intermission.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:21 pm

Ginger wrote:My question is this. Why should he issue a retraction for something that he obviously believes is true? Think about it a moment. He himself is talented, & he plays on a team with another very talented individual, maybe two others if you watch the progression of Backstrom. So...if he'd been gushing all over the place & said that Sid was just the best thing to happen to the league, then everyone here would have been thrilled to death & be talking about what a cool & intelligent guy Semin was. But because he happened to take another road, everyone thinks he should just keep his 'dumb' opinions to himself & not comment on another player? It's just not done? Of course it's done! It's done every time a player is asked about another player.

Listen, honestly, I'm not trying to start anything at all here, but he is allowed to speak negatively just as much as he's allowed to speak positively. It's only his opinion!! You don't have to agree with it but you can't demand he take it all back.

When my husband gets criticized at work & somebody says he's a blankhole, he says that person is an idiot. But if the same person a few months later says he's really smart & does good work, then all of a sudden he's a great guy! Understand what I'm saying? Did it ever occur to him it may be the other way around? We have a tendency to think that people who think the same way we do are smarter & nicer. It says a little about us, doesn't it? :D

I agree with this. Why should Semin bow down to the alter of Crosby? Their is too much group think in sports as it is. If you don't toe the party line and spout boring cliches you are branded with a scarlet letter.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Waffles on Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:35 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Ginger wrote:My question is this. Why should he issue a retraction for something that he obviously believes is true? Think about it a moment. He himself is talented, & he plays on a team with another very talented individual, maybe two others if you watch the progression of Backstrom. So...if he'd been gushing all over the place & said that Sid was just the best thing to happen to the league, then everyone here would have been thrilled to death & be talking about what a cool & intelligent guy Semin was. But because he happened to take another road, everyone thinks he should just keep his 'dumb' opinions to himself & not comment on another player? It's just not done? Of course it's done! It's done every time a player is asked about another player.

I agree with this. Why should Semin bow down to the alter of Crosby? Their is too much group think in sports as it is. If you don't toe the party line and spout boring cliches you are branded with a scarlet letter.

I agree with this.
Waffles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins