Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby Gilmore_Tuttle on Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Waffles wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
Ginger wrote:My question is this. Why should he issue a retraction for something that he obviously believes is true? Think about it a moment. He himself is talented, & he plays on a team with another very talented individual, maybe two others if you watch the progression of Backstrom. So...if he'd been gushing all over the place & said that Sid was just the best thing to happen to the league, then everyone here would have been thrilled to death & be talking about what a cool & intelligent guy Semin was. But because he happened to take another road, everyone thinks he should just keep his 'dumb' opinions to himself & not comment on another player? It's just not done? Of course it's done! It's done every time a player is asked about another player.

Listen, honestly, I'm not trying to start anything at all here, but he is allowed to speak negatively just as much as he's allowed to speak positively. It's only his opinion!! You don't have to agree with it but you can't demand he take it all back.

When my husband gets criticized at work & somebody says he's a blankhole, he says that person is an idiot. But if the same person a few months later says he's really smart & does good work, then all of a sudden he's a great guy! Understand what I'm saying? Did it ever occur to him it may be the other way around? We have a tendency to think that people who think the same way we do are smarter & nicer. It says a little about us, doesn't it? :D


I agree with this. Why should Semin bow down to the alter of Crosby? Their is too much group think in sports as it is. If you don't toe the party line and spout boring cliches you are branded with a scarlet letter.

I agree with this.


Well how about just outplaying someone instead of running your mouth in an interview, or maybe knockin there lights out when you play them... That would be better than whining about how you dont understand what all the hub bub is about.... JUST BE BETTER!
Gilmore_Tuttle
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby Fast B on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:12 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Ginger wrote:My question is this. Why should he issue a retraction for something that he obviously believes is true? Think about it a moment. He himself is talented, & he plays on a team with another very talented individual, maybe two others if you watch the progression of Backstrom. So...if he'd been gushing all over the place & said that Sid was just the best thing to happen to the league, then everyone here would have been thrilled to death & be talking about what a cool & intelligent guy Semin was. But because he happened to take another road, everyone thinks he should just keep his 'dumb' opinions to himself & not comment on another player? It's just not done? Of course it's done! It's done every time a player is asked about another player.

Listen, honestly, I'm not trying to start anything at all here, but he is allowed to speak negatively just as much as he's allowed to speak positively. It's only his opinion!! You don't have to agree with it but you can't demand he take it all back.

When my husband gets criticized at work & somebody says he's a blankhole, he says that person is an idiot. But if the same person a few months later says he's really smart & does good work, then all of a sudden he's a great guy! Understand what I'm saying? Did it ever occur to him it may be the other way around? We have a tendency to think that people who think the same way we do are smarter & nicer. It says a little about us, doesn't it? :D


I agree with this. Why should Semin bow down to the alter of Crosby? Their is too much group think in sports as it is. If you don't toe the party line and spout boring cliches you are branded with a scarlet letter.


Semin is entitled to say whatever he wants. Doesn't make him look like any less of a moron though.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,812
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: San Mateo, CA

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby littlemoonboot on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:35 pm

The guy is just a jerk. If he apologized, backtread or retracted anything, it would just look contrived anyway.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,328
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby LeopardLetang on Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:05 pm

SlyGuy wrote:I never said anything about Sid being top 3 all time. I compared Crosby's last full season, at 19, where he scored 120 points, led the league in scoring and won the hart. Now compare Lemieux and Gretzky at 19. Is there a huge difference? Gretzky did not get 200 points multiple times at 19. Respond to what I say at least, not some made up stuff that makes you right. You keep comparing Lemiuex and Gretzky's best seasons to a 19 year old kids best.


hahaha. sorry, but i read this as "won my heart" at first. just thought it was funny.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,418
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Altoona

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby Justin Catanzarite on Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:09 pm

I was listening to NHL on XM today and it was pretty funny. Boomer (not Chris Berman) equated what Semin said to: That girl isn't that hot, I mean she's beautiful, has a great body, tremendous rack but she's not that hot.
Justin Catanzarite
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,625
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: Industry

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby Ginger on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:08 pm

Gilmore_Tuttle wrote:
Well how about just outplaying someone instead of running your mouth in an interview, or maybe knockin there lights out when you play them... That would be better than whining about how you dont understand what all the hub bub is about.... JUST BE BETTER!


He's whining & running his mouth off because he gives an opinion? So does that mean that every person here that doesn't conform to the way you think personally is whining & running their mouth off?
Everyone here talks & discusses their thoughts about players - ours as well as other teams. They're not whining or running their mouths off. They're simply expressing an opinion.

C'mon, you're looking a bit silly here with this. He didn't say he was better. He didn't say any other player was better. He stated that he didn't understand the over-aired adoration of Sid. He's certainly not the first to wonder that, believe me. Being an elite player like Sid is one thing, but being a media that makes him sound like 'the second coming' is becoming more often annoying than anything else. Even to some Pens fans.

Heaven help those hockey fans who aren't Pens fans & have to listen to it all the time. Which I'm sure you're not going to agree with. :wink:
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,734
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:32 pm
Location: Basically in my own little world

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby André on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:22 pm

Justin Catanzarite wrote:I was listening to NHL on XM today and it was pretty funny. Boomer (not Chris Berman) equated what Semin said to: That girl isn't that hot, I mean she's beautiful, has a great body, tremendous rack but she's not that hot.


Yeah that's true. What Semin said was basically "he's awesome at everything but flashy dekes and goal scoring", which still is pretty awesome =)

And Sid's great at those too, if he'd just opt to play that way sometimes as well.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,273
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby Gilmore_Tuttle on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:43 pm

Ginger wrote:
Gilmore_Tuttle wrote:
Well how about just outplaying someone instead of running your mouth in an interview, or maybe knockin there lights out when you play them... That would be better than whining about how you dont understand what all the hub bub is about.... JUST BE BETTER!


He's whining & running his mouth off because he gives an opinion? So does that mean that every person here that doesn't conform to the way you think personally is whining & running their mouth off?
Everyone here talks & discusses their thoughts about players - ours as well as other teams. They're not whining or running their mouths off. They're simply expressing an opinion.

C'mon, you're looking a bit silly here with this. He didn't say he was better. He didn't say any other player was better. He stated that he didn't understand the over-aired adoration of Sid. He's certainly not the first to wonder that, believe me. Being an elite player like Sid is one thing, but being a media that makes him sound like 'the second coming' is becoming more often annoying than anything else. Even to some Pens fans.

Heaven help those hockey fans who aren't Pens fans & have to listen to it all the time. Which I'm sure you're not going to agree with. :wink:


While I agree with you on the part about everybody having an opinion is true, however, the fact that Semin got a little personal about how Crosby is not that special and compares him to Kane is a little juvenile and kind of like a personal attack. While it is his opinion it was unneccesary to go into that detail in an interview. I think thats what everybody is getting at. But I do understand what your saying about his opinion and saying what he feels, its just really who does that? Why wasnt Semin so outspoken last year, never heard from him at all, what now since he has a little success thus far hes Ray Lewis now... And no I'm not a HOMER I am qhite UNBIASED, thank you....
Gilmore_Tuttle
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:46 pm

Pierre LeBrun offers his take:

So, let's recap the personal rivalries between the Caps and Pens and determine who would win if they were to duke it out on the ice:

Ovechkin versus Malkin: I'm taking Ovechkin. I think he could throw 'em pretty good if he wanted to.

Crosby versus Semin: We'll take Sid the Kid. He'd use his tree-trunk legs to wrestle Semin to the ice.

Mario Lemieux versus Ted Leonsis: Not a very fair fight, but who knows? Maybe Ted has a move or two we don't know about.

Ray Shero versus George McPhee: Hey, Shero grew up with his dad's Broad Street Bullies, right?

Michel Therrien versus Bruce Boudreau: The Pens' coach is a street brawler.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,560
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby KG on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:47 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:Pierre LeBrun offers his take:

So, let's recap the personal rivalries between the Caps and Pens and determine who would win if they were to duke it out on the ice:

Ovechkin versus Malkin: I'm taking Ovechkin. I think he could throw 'em pretty good if he wanted to.

Crosby versus Semin: We'll take Sid the Kid. He'd use his tree-trunk legs to wrestle Semin to the ice.

Mario Lemieux versus Ted Leonsis: Not a very fair fight, but who knows? Maybe Ted has a move or two we don't know about.

Ray Shero versus George McPhee: Hey, Shero grew up with his dad's Broad Street Bullies, right?

Michel Therrien versus Bruce Boudreau: The Pens' coach is a street brawler.


Agreed...OV would house Malkin...Pens win the other brawls. Although, didn't McPhee smack down with someone not that long ago?
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,847
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:47 pm

Therrien could take down anyone.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,370
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby Gilmore_Tuttle on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:58 pm

I think Therrien should have replaced Grissom on CSI
Gilmore_Tuttle
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby penny lane on Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:26 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:Pierre LeBrun offers his take:

So, let's recap the personal rivalries between the Caps and Pens and determine who would win if they were to duke it out on the ice:

Ovechkin versus Malkin: I'm taking Ovechkin. I think he could throw 'em pretty good if he wanted to.

Crosby versus Semin: We'll take Sid the Kid. He'd use his tree-trunk legs to wrestle Semin to the ice.

Mario Lemieux versus Ted Leonsis: Not a very fair fight, but who knows? Maybe Ted has a move or two we don't know about.

Ray Shero versus George McPhee: Hey, Shero grew up with his dad's Broad Street Bullies, right?

Michel Therrien versus Bruce Boudreau: The Pens' coach is a street brawler.


funny ! The Pens' coach is a street brawler 8-)

Thing is...if other players want to be the face~ give Gary a call. Putting yourself out there comes with great demands and pressure.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,681
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: juju land

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby Pitts on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:04 pm

Gilmore_Tuttle wrote:Well how about just outplaying someone instead of running your mouth in an interview,

Semin was named NHL Player of the Month for October. Crosby wasn't. Case closed. :wink:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,031
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby Gilmore_Tuttle on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:13 pm

Pitts wrote:
Gilmore_Tuttle wrote:Well how about just outplaying someone instead of running your mouth in an interview,

Semin was named NHL Player of the Month for October. Crosby wasn't. Case closed. :wink:


LMAO......Solid Closing argument!.....Huh?

I'm so done on this topic
Gilmore_Tuttle
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby wallflower on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:30 pm

Gilmore_Tuttle wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Gilmore_Tuttle wrote:Well how about just outplaying someone instead of running your mouth in an interview,

Semin was named NHL Player of the Month for October. Crosby wasn't. Case closed. :wink:


LMAO......Solid Closing argument!.....Huh?

I'm so done on this topic

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,912
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby spi on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:45 pm

I am glad Semin said it, now he has to prove himself every time he plays. If thats the way he really feels he is entitled to his opinion but you rarely ever hear 1 player call out another, let alone one of the top 3 players in the league. He defintely wanted to stir the pot or else he would have kept his opinions to himself. I cant wait until they play again. IMO Semin has asked for the spotlight by his comments, sid never asked for the spotlight but he got it because of his work on the ice, the way it should be.

Funny thing is, Sid has had a poor start to the season and look who is 1 pt behind the player of the month.
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,135
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:11 pm

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby Daniel87 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:53 pm

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_596791.html?source=rss&feed=8

Crosby addresses Semins comments in an interview. He didn't say much, but he wasn't too happy about it.

"Nobody asked me," Crosby said today after an intense Penguins' practice at Southpointe. "I'd be better off keeping my opinion to myself.

"He can say what he wants."

Crosby, who won the individual scoring championship and MVP after his last full season in 2006-07, called Semin "a good player" with "great hands."
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,077
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:06 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:27 am

KG wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:Pierre LeBrun offers his take:

So, let's recap the personal rivalries between the Caps and Pens and determine who would win if they were to duke it out on the ice:

Ovechkin versus Malkin: I'm taking Ovechkin. I think he could throw 'em pretty good if he wanted to.

Crosby versus Semin: We'll take Sid the Kid. He'd use his tree-trunk legs to wrestle Semin to the ice.

Mario Lemieux versus Ted Leonsis: Not a very fair fight, but who knows? Maybe Ted has a move or two we don't know about.

Ray Shero versus George McPhee: Hey, Shero grew up with his dad's Broad Street Bullies, right?

Michel Therrien versus Bruce Boudreau: The Pens' coach is a street brawler.


Agreed...OV would house Malkin...Pens win the other brawls. Although, didn't McPhee smack down with someone not that long ago?


Please... ovechkin couldn't even take down little Mike Richards. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz-1VGQbEWc&feature=related

Malkin is much much stronger than some people give him credit for. Hopefully it happens and he whoops on ovechkin.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,222
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:24 pm

Therrien's reaction was hilarious in today's presser. :lol:
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,328
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby dagny on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:30 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:Therrien's reaction was hilarious in today's presser. :lol:


What'd he say?
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,482
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:06 pm
Location: 68 who?

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby sj? on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:42 pm

Washington Capitals forward Alexander Semin has gotten a lot of attention from the media following his comments about Penguins star Sidney Crosby.

The drama continued today when Pittsburgh head coach Michel Therrien was asked about Semin’s comments. Therrien, who has never shied away from giving his opinion, laughed and then responded:

“Is he talking about the youngest guy to get 100 points in the history of the National Hockey League? Is he talking about the youngest guy to win the Hart Trophy and lead the league in scoring? Is he talking about the youngest captain in the National Hockey League to bring his team to the Stanley Cup Final? That’s all I have to say.”


http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?servi ... eid=390847
sj?
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,656
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:05 pm
Location: undisclosed

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:50 pm

sj? wrote:
Therrien, who has never shied away from giving his opinion, laughed and then responded:

“Is he talking about the youngest guy to get 100 points in the history of the National Hockey League? Is he talking about the youngest guy to win the Hart Trophy and lead the league in scoring? Is he talking about the youngest captain in the National Hockey League to bring his team to the Stanley Cup Final? That’s all I have to say.”


Nice. I approve.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,610
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:36 pm
Location: This aggression will not stand, man

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:26 am

Fire MT!
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,370
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Semin -- "What's so special about Crosby?"

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:26 am

Just in case anyone is too lazy to click the above link and navigate to the video, here's a direct link to that:
http://penguins.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp ... 6&id=24585

The look on his face and the laugh before he starts talking is tremendous.

By the way, is there some kind of rule that requires everyone that's written about this since it happened to repeat Alexander Semin's entire quote? I mean, at this point, is there anyone that cares that doesn't know what was said at this point?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,329
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Desiato, Idoit40fans, Mr. Colby, neophool, PghSkins, the wicked child and 39 guests

e-mail