Some Canadian on Crosby :)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Some Canadian on Crosby :)

Postby SlyGuy on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:22 pm

Do people forget 2 seasons ago? I watched close to 80 penguins games that year, Crosby was definitely looking well on his way to Lemieux and gretzky like status. It all started with a 6 point game against Philly I believe. He was 19 and scoring 120 points. Crosby always starts slow and without him being a factor last year due to injury people forget. What have you done for me lately?

I really am starting the think that Therien's system is really hampering someone like Crosby. If they don't win with this style of coach, the coach will be gone quickly. When you have 2 of the top 5 players in the world on your team, let them play. Cups are great and all, but I watch hockey for entertainment. I want to watch the best players be the best players. Don't become the NFL with incredibly micromanaged players & strategies.

Malkin can thrive a little more because his style is much more of a dangler. He can hang on to the puck forever so his teammates and the system have less impact on him. His size and reach allow him that luxury. Crosby needs more movement from his wingers, he needs a more dynamic styled system to truly thrive. He will still be a top 3 scorer as is, but with a more open style I think he puts 20-30 points between him and the rest of the league.

I am the Canadian btw.
SlyGuy

Re: Some Canadian on Crosby :)

Postby mac5155 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:34 pm

i stopped reading after you said "cups are good, but i watch hockey for entertainment."

come on. seriously? you sound like a washingtion capitals fan. i want stanley cups.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SlyGuy on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:43 pm

I think you misunderstand. I watch hockey for exciting hockey, a cup for your home team is icing on the cake. Were you a huge fan of NJD? My poorly worded point was the 2 things aren't mutually exclusive. Look at detroit for example, they have great offense as well as defense. The modern age of sports seems to have gone the way of systems and micromanagement instead of players making plays.

As a fan I want to watch a lot of games leading up to a potential stanley cup run. I also don't want to be bored silly watching those games.
SlyGuy

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:05 pm

Seems like things changed after the ankle sprain. He plays into a lot of traffic, gets pretty banged up and I think he's a much bigger target now.

GAHHHH...but you just had to bring up Detroit. *twitch* :)
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins