Pens Cancel Practice today...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens Cancel Practice today...

Postby cojac on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:25 pm

Something up, or just want the players to relax? Also, an upper management meeting is supposedly going to take place.
Last edited by cojac on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Pens Cancel Practice today...

Postby KG on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:29 pm

I don't know why they need to cancel practice, being since they took the last 2 games off already ; )
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:31 pm

not to jump on you.. but, link?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Member on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:32 pm

Something HUGE must be going on in the front office.

Kovalchuk to PIT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby laholm64 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:33 pm

KG wrote:I don't know why they need to cancel practice, being since they took the last 2 games off already ; )

Ouch!

Excellent point.
laholm64

Postby KG on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:36 pm

insidepittsburghsports.com
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:45 pm

Probably getting a reaming by MT then a players only meeting. Fortunately I think MT still has a handle on the team. They are playing his system, just not very well. I think they could snap out of this funk and explode the next game if they want to but I think MT needs to make lines that benefit the team and he hasn't done that yet to the fullest extent.

I think they simply need to play better. There's no passion to win out there.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby westside on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:49 pm

DelPen wrote:Probably getting a reaming by MT then a players only meeting. Fortunately I think MT still has a handle on the team. They are playing his system, just not very well. I think they could snap out of this funk and explode the next game if they want to but I think MT needs to make lines that benefit the team and he hasn't done that yet to the fullest extent.

I think they simply need to play better. There's no passion to win out there.

I totally agree with this. It's nice to hear a constructive criticism about the team that does not have the words trade, staal, and crosby's wing in it.

+1
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby In The Shadows on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:54 pm

I received a press release about practice being cancelled at 8:31am this morning...I didn't take it as a sign of anything big, as they have canceled a couple over the last few weeks.

The Pittsburgh Penguins have cancelled practice for Friday, October 31. They will be back on the ice for the morning skate Saturday, November 1 at 11:30 am. Media availability will be after the skate. For more information or for further updates please call the media hotline.

Practice being cancelled is not necessarily a sign of the deck being shuffled...I'm just saying. Not disputing that RS and MT are taking a long look at all options, just pointing out that a practice cancellation doesn't mean that much.

Show me a guy getting pulled from the ice in the middle of a practice and we can talk! 8-)
Last edited by In The Shadows on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In The Shadows
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:56 pm

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!1!!
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby laholm64 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:58 pm

One of the biggest responsibilities of a coach is to get the team ready for games. Another big resposibility is motivating them. I'm not seeing evidence of this happening. The team comes out flat way too often. I don't see them coming out after intermissions on fire after a bad period. This makes me believe that the coach(es) was not laying into them between periods for their lackluster play.

I agree with everyone who has complained about the line shuffling. These guys just can't get used to each other. Here is a novel idea. Ask Sid which players he feels msot comfortable with on his wing (other than Geno) and let him work with those guys for a few weeks. I don't think players should make those choices in general, but we are talking about the captain and heart and soul of this team.
laholm64

Postby KG on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:00 pm

Expectations are very high this year....Good to see that they (coaching staff, GM, ownership) are identifying that their is a problem so far....Get it fixed!
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cojac on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:00 pm

laholm64 wrote:One of the biggest responsibilities of a coach is to get the team ready for games. Another big resposibility is motivating them. I'm not seeing evidence of this happening. The team comes out flat way too often. I don't see them coming out after intermissions on fire after a bad period. This makes me believe that the coach(es) was not laying into them between periods for their lackluster play.

I agree with everyone who has complained about the line shuffling. These guys just can't get used to each other. Here is a novel idea. Ask Sid which players he feels msot comfortable with on his wing (other than Geno) and let him work with those guys for a few weeks. I don't think players should make those choices in general, but we are talking about the captain and heart and soul of this team.

Agree, good post
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Burnaby_Joe on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:10 pm

laholm64 wrote:One of the biggest responsibilities of a coach is to get the team ready for games. Another big resposibility is motivating them. I'm not seeing evidence of this happening. The team comes out flat way too often. I don't see them coming out after intermissions on fire after a bad period. This makes me believe that the coach(es) was not laying into them between periods for their lackluster play.

When you think about it, maybe he did shuffle players so that everyone can figure out who can work with who in the future.........just a thought.
Burnaby_Joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby laholm64 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:23 pm

Burnaby_Joe wrote:

When you think about it, maybe he did shuffle players so that everyone can figure out who can work with who in the future.........just a thought.

Without sitting down and doing the actual math, I'd have to think there are probably a thousand different possible line combinations. I'm pretty sure he's just about figured them all out. Now, after 3 years of coaching this team MAYBE we can see the shuffling end?
laholm64

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:33 pm

It seems like people complain about the shuffling when it isn't working and are praising it when it is. I think the Pens are still trying to see where all their new players are fitting into the system and getting over injuries. The loss of Gonch and Whit is detrimental to this team. The puck can't get through the neutral zone effectively and it seems like the team is really struggling without them on the break out and especially on the PP. Also, I think Sykora may still have some problems, he's looked pretty poor the last few games.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby spi on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:08 pm

If the players don't want to be shuffled then maybe they should start acting like it. What is Therien supposed to do let combination stay together after it is obvious that they are generating nothing? Their problems are NOT with coaching. The players, ALL of them, should look in the mirror. Their execution is pathetic. They cant even make a simple pass. If you don't have the puck it is impossible to get any momentum. Do you think MT should go over the boards and get the puck for them???
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:15 pm

spi wrote:If the players don't want to be shuffled then maybe they should start acting like it. What is Therien supposed to do let combination stay together after it is obvious that they are generating nothing? Their problems are NOT with coaching. The players, ALL of them, should look in the mirror. Their execution is pathetic. They cant even make a simple pass. If you don't have the puck it is impossible to get any momentum. Do you think MT should go over the boards and get the puck for them???

Couldn't agree more.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby laholm64 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:19 pm

MT breaks up lines before they even have a chance to jell. That's the problem. You can't expect instant connections. A player needs to know where his linemates are going to be in different situations. Until they get that down there's going to be problems.

And I don't expect MT to do the job of the players such as passing and digging pucks out of the corners, but I DO expect him to do HIS job and that would include showing a little emotion from time to time. That would include knocking some heads together between periods or calling a player out if he's messing up all the time or simply benching someone for a few shifts or giving them a day in the press box.

Mt has an excellent system and the proof is in our past two seasons. But there aren't too many coaches who are slower to respond to game situations. My own, less than expert, opinion is that he is a great teacher, but he is very poor in game time situations and adjusting to what the other team is doing on the ice.
laholm64

Postby Eismann on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:21 pm

MT juggled lines last year like a circus clown.

Pens win Eastern Conference; get within 2 games of Stanley Cup

All jibber-jabber about line juggling = find another reason the Pens r tehSux.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby laholm64 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:24 pm

Eismann wrote:MT juggled lines last year like a circus clown.

Could it be the Pens got that far in spite of his juggling? Or are you saying the juggling is the reason they were so good? Maybe they got within 2 wins of the Cup because they were that talented and not because MT masterfully juggled lines.
laholm64

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:24 pm

FIX IT, they need to, FIX IT.
Sorry been watching too much SNL lately
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby MikeS on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:28 pm

laholm64 wrote:

Could it be the Pens got that far in spite of his juggling? Or are you saying the juggling is the reason they were so good? Maybe they got within 2 wins of the Cup because they were that talented and not because MT masterfully juggled lines.

I think he's saying that line-juggling doesn't bother the players, only the fans.
MikeS
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby laholm64 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:31 pm

MikeS wrote:
laholm64 wrote:

I think he's saying that line-juggling doesn't bother the players, only the fans.

I'm pretty sure the players like knowing who they're playing with and what their tendencies are. No-one wants to make a pass to a guy who they think is cutting one way and they go the other way. It's a lot like a QB knowing what his receivers are going to do on a broken play. That's why teams practice. That's why a player wants to know what his teammates are going to do in a given situation.
laholm64

Postby Three Stars on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:33 pm

I wonder how much of this is the Stanley Cup Finalist syndrome?

It's the conceit of every fan that they can do the job better than the people in place.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins