New assistant captains?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

New assistant captains?

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:46 pm

Were the Pens rotating assistant captains each month? If so, it is November 1st...My picks are:

Max Talbot
Mark Eaton
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: New assistant captains?

Postby Dickie Dunn on Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:53 pm

Eaton has been one of the Penguins worst defenseman this season and plays with the strength and intensity of a wet noodle. Not my idea of a leader.

Anyways, Orpik's "A" was originally reported as being permanent, so he would remain an alternate captain. Malkin's "A" was supposed to be rotated on a monthly basis, but he has been one of the Penguin's most intense players this season and even though the team has been struggling to score goals, he has brought it pretty much every night. I don't really see a reason to change it up at all.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Senka on Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:00 pm

Alternate?
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:22 pm

Orpik and Malkin should wear the A's the rest of the season no matter what.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens#1 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:25 pm

i cant think of anyone on the roster that should take the A away from Malkin
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 71crush on Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:27 pm

I agree, Geno should keep the A for now. He has been a beast out there.

I thought Orpik was keeping it permanently.
71crush
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Dickie Dunn on Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:38 pm

Senka wrote:Alternate?

I'm assuming your question was directed towards me. There is no such thing as an "assistant" captain. It's a common mistake made by pretty much every fan of the game. Though there are larger symbolic purposes behind the C and A's worn by hockey players, all the C really dictates is that player is the only one that can discuss calls with officials (though they are quite lenient in enforcing the rule). If for some reason the team's captain is unavailable one of the alternate captains fills in for him.

Edit: Here's the section on captains taken from the NHL Rulebook, http://www.nhl.com/rules/rule14.html.

Rule 14 Captain of Team

1. One Captain shall be appointed by each Team, and he alone shall have the privilege of discussing with the Referee any questions relating to interpretation of rules which may arise during the progress of a game. He shall wear the letter "C", approximately three inches (3") in height and in contrasting color, in a conspicuous position on the front of his sweater.

In addition, if the permanent Captain is not on the ice, Alternate Captains (not more than two) shall be accorded the privileges of the Captain. Alternate Captains shall wear the letter "A" approximately three inches (3") in height and in contrasting color, in a conspicuous position on the front of their sweaters.

(NOTE) Only when the captain is not in uniform, the Coach shall have the right to designate three Alternate Captains. This must be done prior to the start of the game.

2. The Referee and Official Scorer shall be advised prior to the start of each game, the name of the Captain and the Alternate Captains of both Teams.

3. Only the Captain, when invited to do so by the Referee, shall have the privilege of discussing any point relating to the interpretation of rules. Any Captain or player who comes off the bench and makes any protest or intervention with the Officials for any purpose shall be assessed a minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct under Rule 41(b) - Abuse of Officials. Should this protest continue, he may be assessed a misconduct penalty, and if it further continues, a game misconduct penalty shall be warranted.

A complaint about a penalty is NOT a matter "relating to the interpretation of the rules" and a minor penalty shall be imposed against any Captain or other player making such a complaint.

4. No playing Coach or playing Manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as Captain or Alternate Captain.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby kalika on Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:52 pm

This article lists Nov's assistant captains as Hal Gill and Rob Scuderi .

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_596357.html?source=rss&feed=8
kalika
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Why So Serious? on Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:55 pm

kalika wrote:This article lists Nov's assistant captains as Hal Gill and Rob Scuderi .

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_596357.html?source=rss&feed=8

That article also mentions Fedotenko and Eaton as healthy scratches for tonight's game.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:06 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Senka wrote:Alternate?

I'm assuming your question was directed towards me. There is no such thing as an "assistant" captain. It's a common mistake made by pretty much every fan of the game. Though there are larger symbolic purposes behind the C and A's worn by hockey players, all the C really dictates is that player is the only one that can discuss calls with officials (though they are quite lenient in enforcing the rule). If for some reason the team's captain is unavailable one of the alternate captains fills in for him.

Edit: Here's the section on captains taken from the NHL Rulebook, http://www.nhl.com/rules/rule14.html.

Rule 14 Captain of Team

1. One Captain shall be appointed by each Team, and he alone shall have the privilege of discussing with the Referee any questions relating to interpretation of rules which may arise during the progress of a game. He shall wear the letter "C", approximately three inches (3") in height and in contrasting color, in a conspicuous position on the front of his sweater.

In addition, if the permanent Captain is not on the ice, Alternate Captains (not more than two) shall be accorded the privileges of the Captain. Alternate Captains shall wear the letter "A" approximately three inches (3") in height and in contrasting color, in a conspicuous position on the front of their sweaters.

(NOTE) Only when the captain is not in uniform, the Coach shall have the right to designate three Alternate Captains. This must be done prior to the start of the game.

2. The Referee and Official Scorer shall be advised prior to the start of each game, the name of the Captain and the Alternate Captains of both Teams.

3. Only the Captain, when invited to do so by the Referee, shall have the privilege of discussing any point relating to the interpretation of rules. Any Captain or player who comes off the bench and makes any protest or intervention with the Officials for any purpose shall be assessed a minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct under Rule 41(b) - Abuse of Officials. Should this protest continue, he may be assessed a misconduct penalty, and if it further continues, a game misconduct penalty shall be warranted.

A complaint about a penalty is NOT a matter "relating to the interpretation of the rules" and a minor penalty shall be imposed against any Captain or other player making such a complaint.

4. No playing Coach or playing Manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as Captain or Alternate Captain.

Hahaha, I always say alternate, but thought I was wrong because everyone else said assistant. Alternate just made more sense to me.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens#1 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:47 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:
kalika wrote:This article lists Nov's assistant captains as Hal Gill and Rob Scuderi .

That article also mentions Fedotenko and Eaton as healthy scratches for tonight's game.

Eaton is a healthy scratch, it says Fedotenko is day to day with an undislosed injury- i doubt they wold scratch Fedko and not Staal
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WWGRD on Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:09 pm

Super Scuds and USS Gill with the A's. I like it.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:12 pm

I liked it the way it was.

Malkin needs to keep that A. Forever.

But I do think Scuds deserved it.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:10 pm

i wouldnt have minded seeing Talbot get the A
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WWGRD on Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:39 pm

Talbot hasn't lead by example so far this season.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eastonpensfan on Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:59 pm

WWGRD wrote:Super Scuds and USS Gill with the A's. I like it.

Yeah, good choices. Those 2 play a very underrated game (underrated by anyone besides us). They are the epitome of Pittsburgh... working-class, no attention outside. Let's do it!
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens#1 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:03 pm

WWGRD wrote:Talbot hasn't lead by example so far this season.

i was thinking giving him more responisbility might raise his play
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wallflower on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:19 pm

I don't like it. Should've stuck with Malkin & Orpik, IMO.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:25 pm

wallflower wrote:I don't like it. Should've stuck with Malkin & Orpik, IMO.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:30 pm

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little... :?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dagny on Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:32 pm

netwolf wrote:

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little... :?

:lol: I was waiting to see your response to this. You do not disappoint. :lol:
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby netwolf on Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:37 pm

My personal feeling about him aside, I could live with it if he was the Gill from last spring. He's played like crap from the start of the year and now he's allegedly getting an A on the heels of one of his worst showings?

I think Orpik and Malkin should have kept them, but if you are going to switch it up, how about Max Talbot?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby THEM_BONES on Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:04 pm

Agreed Gill hasn't played like he did in April, it would be cool to see Superstar with the A but i believe Scuds is well deserved
THEM_BONES

Postby pens#1 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:11 pm

i stick bye my Talbot vote hes not a high profile player but is the heart of the team
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:37 am

This is the kind of thing where the fans really aren't in a position to judge. We don't know the players, we're not in the locker room, we're not out there on the ice. We have no basis to judge who should and shouldn't be given leadership roles.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins