Great Day for Hockey Commercial!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Great Day for Hockey Commercial!

Postby dagny on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:46 pm

I disagree, wholeheartedly, with knives of ice's opinion on this commercial.

However, I disagree even more with people belittling him over it. He's just as entitled to hate it as we are to love it.

His first post about it was "to each his own . . . ".

Let it go...
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kicksave on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:48 pm

Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby knives of ice on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:51 am

i could care less if people like it or don't. if you like it thats great... people in pittsburgh were dumb enough to think colby armstrong was a great player on the penguins too

this promo started at the first game though before the players came out and they play it each game. maybe i'm crazy, but i much prefer promos before the team comes out that really hype the fans and the team. take for instance the promos during the playoffs last year, or promos other teams run like "this is where we fight" ripping off 300, etc. i just don't prefer a flowers and rainbows sappy promotion and i could care less about a promo that shows "fans" i care about the team. i think the other night was the first time they showed the promo on fsn... your telling me this commercial is going to be great by the end of the season playing it each game? not to mention they play it on nhl network between segments as well.

to me the big problem with that promo is their is no hunger for this season. i think the promo this year should be about unfinished business and being 2 wins away. the fact that we were that close last year but we didn't win while showing the greatness of last year. that there is room for improvement and last year was nice, but this year needs to be better. this promo is the easy way out and the romantic comedy of promos.

yeah, it may be nice for a viewing... but a season long promo commercial? for nhl hockey? have fun watching this sappy promo every fsn game and during nhl on the fly...oh and at each home game you attend.

geez... where is the picture of the team running through the daisies and daffodils ? how about some little kids eating ice cream at the game with their ol' pal iceburg rubbing their little head? those images would seem to fit right in for this promo.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dagny on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:47 am

knives of ice wrote:i could care less if people like it or don't. if you like it thats great... people in pittsburgh were dumb enough to think colby armstrong was a great player on the penguins too

this promo started at the first game though before the players came out and they play it each game. maybe i'm crazy, but i much prefer promos before the team comes out that really hype the fans and the team. take for instance the promos during the playoffs last year, or promos other teams run like "this is where we fight" ripping off 300, etc. i just don't prefer a flowers and rainbows sappy promotion and i could care less about a promo that shows "fans" i care about the team. i think the other night was the first time they showed the promo on fsn... your telling me this commercial is going to be great by the end of the season playing it each game? not to mention they play it on nhl network between segments as well.

to me the big problem with that promo is their is no hunger for this season. i think the promo this year should be about unfinished business and being 2 wins away. the fact that we were that close last year but we didn't win while showing the greatness of last year. that there is room for improvement and last year was nice, but this year needs to be better. this promo is the easy way out and the romantic comedy of promos.

yeah, it may be nice for a viewing... but a season long promo commercial? for nhl hockey? have fun watching this sappy promo every fsn game and during nhl on the fly...oh and at each home game you attend.

geez... where is the picture of the team running through the daisies and daffodils ? how about some little kids eating ice cream at the game with their ol' pal iceburg rubbing their little head? those images would seem to fit right in for this promo.

What's interesting, to me, is realizing you've had waaaaay more exposure to this commercial than I have! That can make a difference. You have other reasons you dislike it aside from your exposure to it, but I can see how you could be really sick of it, especially since you don't like the theme or song. :lol:

Being in and from So Cal, I've got Center Ice. Sometimes, I get the Pens feed, sometimes I don't. My cable company doesn't carry NHLnetwork. My only exposure to that commercial is when/if it's the Pens feed.

With my limited exposure to it, I couldn't have imagined how any Pens fan could ever get tired of seeing it. Even though I love it, if I saw it as much as you I may feel differently. I can't say for certain.

I am certain that I can't see enough of it now, though! :lol:

As you said, to each his own . . .

. . . and now we've come full-circle. :wink:
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kicksave on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:10 am

:lol:

wow.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:10 am

This thread is awesome.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:52 am

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guido on Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:14 am

I don't like the Clarks very much, but the commercial is very good.

Here's a question I have every time I see it, though; what is wrong with Iceburgh's head at the 1:20 mark?
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby zarleyzalapskisarmy on Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:19 am

JS© wrote:
zarleyzalapskisarmy wrote:The Clarks ripped off Joey Ramone's version of the song. Exact same music, cept the ***** from the Clarks singing. Cool commercial, but lame song.

and what song were they supposed to use? Renegade?

Funkytown actually
zarleyzalapskisarmy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IrishEyes on Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:59 am

I'm with the majority. I grin every time I see it, and I laugh at the little dudes and the pile-on. It's quality.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Spikey on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:23 pm

knives of ice wrote:

Have you been to a game yet this year? They play this commercial, and then the entire pre-game thing is "I will act now." It's all about how they came up short last year and they don't intend to let it happen again this year. Not everyone is into being a total downer and the way they do it accommodates everyone.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:25 pm

PR picked a marketing theme~ It's a great day for hockey. So everything is suppose revolve around that. That isn't a cut throat, in your face tag line.
I doubt this will be the only video montage created for the entire year.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kicksave on Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:20 pm

How did "Revenge Now" work out for the Flyers last year?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:29 pm

Great commercial and The Clarks rule!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby czwalga on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:16 pm

Admin wrote:Great commercial and The Clarks rule!

+1

I like the clarks, dont like covers; but this cover is better for the commercial than the original would be.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:24 pm

Kicksave wrote:How did "Revenge Now" work out for the Flyers last year?

39 point improvement and a trip to the conference finals = win.

EDIT: Also, I can't stand the Clarks.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby zarleyzalapskisarmy on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:25 pm

czwalga wrote:
Admin wrote:Great commercial and The Clarks rule!

+1

I like the clarks, dont like covers; but this cover is better for the commercial than the original would be.

One version is done by a band who's success will forever be measured by selling out the Gateway Clipper. The other is by The Ramones, one of the most influential bands of all time. But hey we all have our opinions.
zarleyzalapskisarmy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Spikey on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:35 pm

And the original Louis Armstrong version blows all of them out of the water.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:37 pm

Spikey wrote:And the original Louis Armstrong version blows all of them out of the water.

Yeah I was confused, how did the conversation get to the point where the Clarks and Ramones versions of the song were the only ones being talked about.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby zarleyzalapskisarmy on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:39 pm

Spikey wrote:And the original Louis Armstrong version blows all of them out of the water.

Maybe, if you're trying to get pumped up for your prostate exam or something. :P

Don't mind me, I'm a big Ramones fan, and that song was Joey's last recording before he died...I just think it's kinda crappy that they took his voice out. I'm done now.
zarleyzalapskisarmy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kicksave on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:45 pm

Nobody here is comparing the Ramones to the Clarks. Don't be so insecure.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:46 pm

I think someone just forgot that it wasn't actually the Ramones who first did the song.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Spikey on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:46 pm

zarleyzalapskisarmy wrote:

Maybe, if you're trying to get pumped up for your prostate exam or something. :P

I'm 32 and female, it's pretty rare for me to get pumped up for a prostate exam.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:48 pm

Spikey wrote:
zarleyzalapskisarmy wrote:

I'm 32 and female, it's pretty rare for me to get pumped up for a prostate exam.

I'm experiencing a sensation altogether new to me, and frankly I love it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby zarleyzalapskisarmy on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:26 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I think someone just forgot that it wasn't actually the Ramones who first did the song.

Thanks for speaking for me, but I've known most of my life who did the original version. Doesn't matter really, we are just making conversation. Isn't that what message boards are for? I'd rather read stuff like this in November than the same posts about firing MT or trading Staal.
zarleyzalapskisarmy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins