The new guys

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The new guys

Postby Rohit on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:34 pm

bhaw wrote:
cs6687 wrote:This team is so close to the Cup. It's worth keeping Gonchar around for as long as possible.

Depends on the price... for every million he gets, that's one less million to pay a winger. If Letang, Orpik, Goligoski, Whitney are all doing well, you can throw in a Scuds and Eaton and still have an effective blue line.

I actually think Gonchar may end up as trade bait this off season or next year at the deadline. He would net a very good winger.

Im pretty sure gonch has a ntc and i seriously doubt he would be willing to waive it seeing as this is a contender
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:42 pm

Rohit wrote:
bhaw wrote:
cs6687 wrote:This team is so close to the Cup. It's worth keeping Gonchar around for as long as possible.

Depends on the price... for every million he gets, that's one less million to pay a winger. If Letang, Orpik, Goligoski, Whitney are all doing well, you can throw in a Scuds and Eaton and still have an effective blue line.

I actually think Gonchar may end up as trade bait this off season or next year at the deadline. He would net a very good winger.

Im pretty sure gonch has a ntc

Are you sure? I don't know, but this is the first time I've heard it.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kicksave on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:49 pm

I'm pretty sure Gonch has the NTC too.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:08 pm

Kicksave wrote:I'm pretty sure Gonch has the NTC too.

http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm

Apparently thats true, thats the best i was able to find.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:10 am

Gonch won't be traded this year.

I think he comes back at a reduced rate because he likes it here.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby booboo on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:35 am

Henry Hank wrote:
Nizzy wrote:I love Goligoski. However I think with the other players already locked up long term, It might be hard to pay for him. Goligoski if he keeps improving could easily get close to 3.5 - 4 Mill per year. He has some serious talent on the points. He is an RFA after this year and with Gonchar's 5 mill against the cap, I don't see how we can sign Letang, Gogo, & Gonchar in the next 2 years.

You're right that they can't sign all three in the next two years. The answer is simple - let Gonchar go. I like Gonchar, but youth is in. In two years, they'll be better off going forward with Whitney, Orpik, Letang, and Goligoski rather than paying a more expensive, older, declining Gonchar. I thought Goligoski might make trade bait this year if he didn't establish himself in the NHL by March, but that's already a moot point. He's already a regular in the NHL and he's showing that upside to boot.

I cannot agree with you more on that HH.
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:42 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:Gonch won't be traded this year.

Then that means either Letang or Goligoski will be gone. Gonchar won't take less then 3 Million, thats just a slap in the face. I don't see us being up to pay more then 6 Million for Letang, Gogo, & Gonchar. I can see us paying 3 Mill each for Letang/Gogo.

I don't see how Gonchar is on this team after next season. If he is then that means bye bye to Letang or Gogo.

I really have a bad feeling about Gogo, I can see him going to a team like Buffalo and break out into a complete stud who kills us everytime we play him.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:49 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:Gonch won't be traded this year.

I agree Gonchar won't be traded this year. If Letang/Goligoski/Whitney all progress I could see them moving Gonchar in the off season.

You don't want to just let him go as a free agent. He is too big of an asset...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:00 pm

After about a dozen NHL games, I'm not ready to proclaim Gologoski as All-World. I definitely see the upside and the potential to go along with his good play so far, but the sampling size of a few NHL games isn't much. Let's see how he does over the course of a season(assuming he stays on the big club all year) before dispensing the team's best overall d-man last year in all areas, Gonchar. Goligoski has great wheels and his hockey instincts are obviously there, but it's real hasty to conclude already he'll be a superstar. His d-game in the A was really bad and it may/may not be exposed at the NHL level this year. Maybe he definitely improved. Maybe after 11 games it's still unknown.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby westside on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:50 pm

I don't see the Pens letting Gonch go after all he's done since coming here and the fact he's showed no signs of slowing down. I think if Gogo and Letang keep progressing as they have, Whitney will be the odd man out. I like Whit but if the young guys step up, it makes the most sense, IMO. With him gone the Pens would have enough to get a quality scoring winger and would have Gogo and Letang to make up for his offensive abilities.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins