2006 draft class

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

2006 draft class

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:52 pm

There's a lot of talk about what the Pens should have done in hind sight, but things aren't exactly rosy in their contemporaries from that draft.

Staal: 12 games, 1 goal, 3 assists, +2

Toews: 11 games, 0 goals, 6 assists, -2

Backstrom: 10 games, 0 goals, 4 assists, E

Surprisingly, it's Kessel that's actually having a good year, the guy that the first four teams passed on:

12 games, 7 goals, 1 assist, +2

Just trying to put things in perspective a bit. Looks like some of those other guys are experiencing some growing pains themselves. Or it's just too early.

Actually, going further down the draft list, guys like Brassard, Mueller, and Little are doing better so far too.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: 2006 draft class

Postby Corvidae on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:33 pm

As much as I like Toews and think he's the best of the bunch, I seriously question making him Captain over in Chicago. Most young players CAN NOT take that pressure, and he's no Crosby.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MikeBossyDrankIcedTea on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:40 pm

Yea Brassard Is A Monster, I Wish RS Didn't Take Staal Second! He Should Have Took Toews, Or Traded Down A Couple Spots For Brassard, Or Kessel!
MikeBossyDrankIcedTea
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:34 am

Corvidae wrote:As much as I like Toews and think he's the best of the bunch, I seriously question making him Captain over in Chicago. Most young players CAN NOT take that pressure, and he's no Crosby.

Should have given it to Kane.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:49 am

Corvidae wrote:and he's no Crosby.

which makes him nowhere near Semin...

:pop:
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:01 am

Would people have traded Staal for JJ Hines sight being 20/20
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shane613 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:46 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:Would people have traded Staal for JJ Hines sight being 20/20

in a word, yes.
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:32 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:Would people have traded Staal for JJ Hines sight being 20/20

I thought that would have been an excellent move at the time, and even though you make room for a guy as good as Jack Johnson should be, the Pens are pretty good on defense right now.

If (and I said if) you were to go back and get a different player instead of Staal, the best thing for this team would be either a top line, goal sniping winger in the mold of Brett Hull or a power forward in the mold of Rick Tocchet. Hard to find guys like that anymore though.

If you were just looking at the 06 draft, Kessel or Mueller look good right now (as does Toews, who is more of a playmaker), and Milan Lucic looks like he could be the kind of power forward the league hasn't seen in a while. All of them are far from sure things at this point, and it should be noted that Jordan Staal has more goals than any of the guys I mentioned to this point.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:13 am

netwolf wrote:Kessel . . . Mueller . . . Toews . . . Lucic . . . and it should be noted that Jordan Staal has more goals than any of the guys I mentioned to this point.

I'll admit, I was a little surprised when I read this. I'm sure that most people here aren't aware of this, or at least certainly wouldn't pick Staal if they had to guess who had the most goals in their careers so far.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:22 am

meecrofilm wrote:
netwolf wrote:Kessel . . . Mueller . . . Toews . . . Lucic . . . and it should be noted that Jordan Staal has more goals than any of the guys I mentioned to this point.

I'll admit, I was a little surprised when I read this. I'm sure that most people here aren't aware of this, or at least certainly wouldn't pick Staal if they had to guess who had the most goals in their careers so far.

Before reading that, I was glad they took Staal. After, even if they were all 7+7 through 11-12 games, I would be happy with Staal.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:23 am

Here's the link (not that you asked):
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2006e.html

After taking a quick look, I don't think the cumulative NHL stats along the right include this season. Kessel has closed the gap so far this season, but I believe Staal is still currently holding the lead.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:27 pm

I wouldn't have taken Kessel...Washington said they wanted no part of him and Boston desperately tried to trade up to Washington's spot (5 to 4) to avoid taking Kessel...

IIRC, some scouts were talking to each other and asked, "did you talk to the idiot yet?" referring to Kessel...he's a selfish player that doesn't always respect his teammates and there are questions surrounding his conditioning...he's the type of player that plays for like 4 or 5 teams over the course of his career because he falls out of favor with one and another team sees him flash his brilliance, trades for him, then they get sick of him disappearing and move him...in that regard, he's like a more talented Tyler Arnason or Brandon Bochenski (but not in terms of play style)...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins