Shanny may become a Pen?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Shanny may become a Pen?

Postby Stunned! on Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:12 pm

Stunned!

Re: Shanny may become a Pen?

Postby Va Beach Pens Fan on Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:17 pm

Forgetting about his ridiculous E system for a second, I agree with his rationale.... If RS doesn't break the bank, I think it would be a good signing.... The Pens need help in front of the goal....
Va Beach Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:20 pm

Va Beach Pens Fan wrote:Forgetting about his ridiculous E system for a second, I agree with his rationale.... If RS doesn't break the bank, I think it would be a good signing.... The Pens need help in front of the goal....

This.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:22 pm

I'll believe it when I see it. I think Shanahan would be a waste. The PP is doing fine without a big body in front of the net, and I think Fedotenko can be useful in that sort of role. Shanahan is going to be worthless on ES, which is where this team needs to improve the most. I think Shero has had plenty of examples of over the hill players not fitting on this team to know better than to do it again.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Va Beach Pens Fan on Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:26 pm

Sorry, just hadta...

Previous E4's coming to the Pens by Ek.... Kariya, Perreault, Nabokov....
Va Beach Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:34 pm

id take him for $1mil per or less.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:36 pm

it could be a good pick up for the baby pens. he'd help out a lot for a calder run. i mean, we can't actually think he'll be in pittsburgh in may. right? did you guys watch the rags series? he was nothing but horrible.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:47 pm

What we get from this is that there is NO chance Shanny become a Penguin.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:02 pm

Stunned! wrote:http://www.hockeybu

stopped reading there.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:37 pm

Glad to see Ek feeling better. And back to his.... well.... old ways. :P
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens#1 on Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:59 pm

i just cant forget how poorly BS played in the playoffs against us - not sure why someone that got older over the summer would help us
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Stunned! on Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:14 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Stunned! wrote:http://www.hockeybu

stopped reading there.

I don't believe it either. I just wanted to pass it on. Believe you me, I know he is not right very often.
Stunned!

Postby czwalga on Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:35 pm

No.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:54 pm

Shanahan doesn't have the speed, behind the 8-ball with regards to the system and his conditioning probably needs 2-3 weeks of AHL tuning up before he's useful for a third line spot. If he would come here as a 3rd/4th liner for $1 million and got occasional 2nd PP spot duty, it might be ok. The Penguins are better off looking for guys who have speed, size, and closer to the age of Crosby/Malkin.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:22 pm

This entire board is underrating what shanny could do for us this year. Based on what? a crappy playoff series? He was very productive offensively last year, both ES and PP, without playing a lot of minutes.

Can you imagine him and Malkin on top for 5 on 3's
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DocEmrick on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:22 pm

Eklund The God "The Penguins are laking a little something right now."

Laking? Seriously? Jesus Christ man, learn to spell. Or at least get a decent editor. Shanahan won't become a Penguin (E15).
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gary on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:32 pm

Ek was saying two days ago Shanny to Blues. Next, it'll be Ottawa. After that, Philly. Each time, he'll be "close" to a deal.
Gary
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:39 pm

Unless there are lots more injuries we don't need him.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:This entire board is underrating what shanny could do for us this year. Based on what? a crappy playoff series? He was very productive offensively last year, both ES and PP, without playing a lot of minutes.

Can you imagine him and Malkin on top for 5 on 3's

Shannahan racked up points with Jagr, but Jagr last year played a very different game than Malkin plays. Also, Shannahan plays in front of the net on the PP.

Yes, he played VERY poorly in the playoffs. That is apparently enough to scare away 30 teams AND the entire message board. If he were that effective, there are a lot of teams that would be all over picking him up. This reminds me a lot of Leetch a couple seasons ago. his plan was to sit out most of the year and then decide which of the many contracts he would take for a playoff run. Unfortunately for him, those many contracts never came. The NHL is becoming a young man's game and very few of these older, former superstars can fit in anywhere.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:37 pm

Forget the playoffs. IIRC, the commentators mentioned during that series that he had not scored a PP goal since February. Someone who is supposedly going to help with the PP went over 2 months without a PPG to end the season? And is also that much older?

Take some Nyquil, RS.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:38 pm

bhaw wrote:This reminds me a lot of Leetch a couple seasons ago. his plan was to sit out most of the year and then decide which of the many contracts he would take for a playoff run. Unfortunately for him, those many contracts never came. The NHL is becoming a young man's game and very few of these older, former superstars can fit in anywhere.

I remember this. Along the lines of the NHL becoming a young man's game, that's what it is now. A lot of the older guys are just sort of fading out. Look at Pittsburgh South. That's where I'd like to see us ship Sydor since Tampa's seem to become the Penguins Retirement Team.

As for Shanny actually joining the team, that is a definite NO. It'll never happen. Look at how the organization handled LeClaire and Recchi. It's not like people don't know what went down with both of these situations. On the flipside, we did all we could for them. The truth is they can't cut it anymore in the new NHL. And Shanahan, while having a hot season last year, proved to everyone that his longevity isn't what it used to be with his playoff performance.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shane613 on Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:41 pm

BLAH
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:22 pm

I originally thought that Shanahan to the Pens would be a horrible move and a waste of a position. The more I thought about it, the more I think adding Shanahan or someone "similar" is necessary for this team.

We do not have any gritty veteran presence on this team. No one for the young guys to look up to and listen to the war stories from. No one to take verbal charge and tell the guys we can do this (and the young guns look at as a veteran and respect it).

You can't tell me that when Scary Gary came off the bench and destroyed a few guys on checks or scored goals it wasn't an inspiration to the team. Just look at how the fans reacted to it.

Shanahan doesn't need to come in and be a top 6 forward but he's an above average special teams player and can play on the 3rd and 4th line. He still has good hands and is a body in front of the net on the powerplay that we currently don't have. He'd be an upgrade over Malone on the PP and definitely over how Staal has played on it so far.

Yeah, he doesn't have the wheels, but he never has. That never stopped Shanahan, Andreychuk, Modin, Tkachuk and a few others from being serviceable. Those kind of players do damage for you from the offensive zone and on the powerplay.

On this team, we're missing a gritty veteran that can bring leadership. Shanahan is one of the few people available that can fill that role. If Godard can take a few shifts per night, I don't see why Shanahan can't.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Kicksave on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:28 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:I originally thought that Shanahan to the Pens would be a horrible move and a waste of a position. The more I thought about it, the more I think adding Shanahan or someone "similar" is necessary for this team.

Shanny wouldn't be coming here to play 20 minutes a game and be a major factor in the offense. He would pretty much fill the 'Gary Roberts' role and with a roster spot available, we aren't subtracting anyone from the team.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WWGRD on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:32 pm

WWBSD?

Fight Donald Brashear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqhkXOVpKG8

Beast.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er