Shanny may become a Pen?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Shanny may become a Pen?

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:11 pm

Why would Philly even want him? They're the highest scoring team in the league and have one of the best PPs. They're one of the worst defensive teams. I just can't understand why some teams just ignore their weaknesses like that.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:52 pm

dagny wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:How can Philly even afford him anyways?

They (the fans) are talking about getting rid of any combination of Lupul/Hartnell/Knuble/ Briere and/or sending Nodl and Downie to the Phantoms.

Again, FWIW.

Wow lol getting rid of any one of those guys for someone Shannahan's age is dumb.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dagny on Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:54 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
dagny wrote:

They (the fans) are talking about getting rid of any combination of Lupul/Hartnell/Knuble/ Briere and/or sending Nodl and Downie to the Phantoms.

Again, FWIW.

Wow lol getting rid of any one of those guys for someone Shannahan's age is dumb.

Here's the link where it's being discussed:
http://www.flyersphans.com/forums/showt ... p?t=113441
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:16 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
dagny wrote:

Again, FWIW.

Good luck trading Briere.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby WHITEY1 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:44 am

Forget SHanny, lets go out and get Foreserg.
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:07 am

DocEmrick wrote:I remember this. Along the lines of the NHL becoming a young man's game, that's what it is now. A lot of the older guys are just sort of fading out. Look at Pittsburgh South. That's where I'd like to see us ship Sydor since Tampa's seem to become the Penguins Retirement Team.

As for Shanny actually joining the team, that is a definite NO. It'll never happen. Look at how the organization handled LeClaire and Recchi. It's not like people don't know what went down with both of these situations. On the flipside, we did all we could for them. The truth is they can't cut it anymore in the new NHL. And Shanahan, while having a hot season last year, proved to everyone that his longevity isn't what it used to be with his playoff performance.

While I don't see Shanahan in a Pens' uni nor the need for him, the older crowd is certainly still thriving in the NHL these days. I don't see the young man revolution when you have Lidstrom(38), Selanne(38), Niedermayer (35), Naslund (35), Tkachuk (36), etc. all still performing at high levels. Better conditioning and training has led to older players prolonging productive careers and the average age in the NHL is over 28 years old, an all-time high. While guys like Hasek and chelios skew the numbers a bit, so do the 18 and 19 year olds that are on the roster.

Last year, the 7 "oldest" teams in the NHL all made the playoffs. The 7 "youngest" all missed. The top-tier in scoring is the youth like Crosby, Malkin, Sharp, etc. but the 2nd tier has quite a lot of older guys.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:13 pm

Shanahan does offer a missing puzzle piece in my mind: the combination of experience, leadership, toughness and an innate ability to play the game. He's lost a some of the latter, I will admit, but I'm not seeing much of what he brings on the current roster.
I certainly think he is worth the minimal (non-existent?) risk.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WHITEY1 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:18 pm

If we were to get Shanny, who then would you bench?
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Well, there it is, the FIRST mention of Pittsburgh and Shanhan together:
http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landing_ ... feedID=717
It's the very last line in the main article. FWIW, Panaccio was told directly from Holmgren that the Flyers want Shanhan. I wonder if Holmgren mentioned Pittsburgh to him.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:02 pm

WHITEY1 wrote:If we were to get Shanny, who then would you bench?

Crosby
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:03 pm

WHITEY1 wrote:If we were to get Shanny, who then would you bench?

I am not sure..

I personally want to keep Talbot on the first line with Crosby and Satan. He is young, gritty and skilled enough to play on the first line...

Crosby/Satan/Talbot
Malkin/Sykora/Fedotenko
Staal/Shanahan/Dupuis
Zigo/Cooke/Kennedy

So I guess the answer to your question is Godard...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:16 pm

Do you really think they'd sit Godard, though? Laraque played every game he was healthy to play last regular season. He might have been a healthy scratch once. Godard has never been a healthy scratch. I don't think they have any plans not to dress an enforcer. So like I've said, it's going to be someone with a more important niche that'd get the shaft, like Zigomanis or Cooke or Kennedy or Dupuis. I'm not interested in seeing any of them sit.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:22 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Do you really think they'd sit Godard, though? Laraque played every game he was healthy to play last regular season. He might have been a healthy scratch once. Godard has never been a healthy scratch. I don't think they have any plans not to dress an enforcer. So like I've said, it's going to be someone with a more important niche that'd get the shaft, like Zigomanis or Cooke or Kennedy or Dupuis. I'm not interested in seeing any of them sit.

I agree...I don't want to sit any of the players that you mentioned. That is why acquiring a forward without moving one doesn't make a lot of sense...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins