Kunitz & Havlat on the Block?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Kunitz & Havlat on the Block?

Postby Jim on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:41 am

The Pens have probably about $5M in cap space as Whitney and Gonchar will not be counting against the cap until after the new year when they return.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:42 am

TheHammer24 wrote:
KG wrote:Pens have been linked to Havlat for a while now...

He is a pending UFA who most likely will not be back with the Hawks. Wonder what the asking price is?

The Hawks can definitely get something for him at the deadline, so I don't expect them to dish him for nothing, but the Pens have to be close to having room if someone's explanation of Whit and Gonch on the long term IR is correct.
Chicago would move him at the deadline only if they are out of the playoff race. The hawks after all of the preseason hype want to make the playoff this year, and assuming Havlat is still healthy (a big assumption) then he would be a big part of making that happen regardless whether they have plans to resign him or not.

The supposed connection with the Pens is only because of Shero's past employment with the Sens, beyond that I doubt there is any interest in Havlat.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:44 am

The Hawks are in desparate need of a center, and shipping Havlat for Sundin would really help their team. Of course none of this makes sense, but I just saying what the rumor is getting at.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:57 am

TheHammer24 wrote:The Hawks are in desparate need of a center, and shipping Havlat for Sundin would really help their team. Of course none of this makes sense, but I just saying what the rumor is getting at.

Why would Sundin play for Chicago? Sundin has 2 options for when he returns to play.

1) Take the most money.
2) Chance to win a Stanley Cup.

He can't have both of those together. If he takes the chance to win a Stanley Cup, the lower he goes with a contract means most likely the better team he will go too.

1) Canucks offering him 20 Million for 2 seasons. 5 Million per year in signing bonus, 5 million per year contract.
2) There is Rumors the Ducks might be going for him trying to drop Kunitz in a salary dump. I'm sure Detroit would love to have another Swed but there is no more room. I don't know how teams like Montreal, Rangers, & Ottawa could add him, but I've heard rumors. I really don't see him going to the Blackhawks.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NickDaves83 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:01 am

Havlat in the summer is a much more intreging prospect than in a trade.

He would be an upgrade over Satan but would he take a 1 year 3.5m contract. I doubt it.

Yes he is injury prone but we have captui down in WBS and when Havlat goes down he could get valuble experience.
NickDaves83
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:13 am

Havlat is absolutely awesome, but his history of injuries is definitely a concern.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:09 pm

I dont see us making any important moves unless we drop some salary weight.. Sydor 1st probably,but still we have plenty of guys upfront,who will be down to trade block next ot next down to AHL if possible?
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:32 pm

Gaucho wrote:Havlat is absolutely awesome, but his history of injuries is definitely a concern.

Not unlike Gaborik, who is now on IR. (Already!)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby marek on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:07 pm

Nizzy wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:The Hawks are in desparate need of a center, and shipping Havlat for Sundin would really help their team. Of course none of this makes sense, but I just saying what the rumor is getting at.

Why would Sundin play for Chicago? Sundin has 2 options for when he returns to play.

1) Take the most money.
2) Chance to win a Stanley Cup.

He can't have both of those together. If he takes the chance to win a Stanley Cup, the lower he goes with a contract means most likely the better team he will go too.

1) Canucks offering him 20 Million for 2 seasons. 5 Million per year in signing bonus, 5 million per year contract.
2) There is Rumors the Ducks might be going for him trying to drop Kunitz in a salary dump. I'm sure Detroit would love to have another Swed but there is no more room. I don't know how teams like Montreal, Rangers, & Ottawa could add him, but I've heard rumors. I really don't see him going to the Blackhawks.

Word is that Sundin is looking to sign with a warm climate team, with limited media attention, and doesnt play against Toronto in Toronto?!?!?! Time for RS to pull something over on Brian Burke!

Sundin is a wuss... if you dont wanna play in toronto against toronto?
Then freaking sign with Toronto!
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:27 pm

marek wrote:Word is that Sundin is looking to sign with a warm climate team, with limited media attention, and doesnt play against Toronto in Toronto?!?!?! Time for RS to pull something over on Brian Burke!

Sundin is a wuss... if you dont wanna play in toronto against toronto?
Then freaking sign with Toronto!

Who's word?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 71 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:34 pm

The real question is are the Blackhawks really just looking to dump Havlat's salary? If so, you have to be intrigued by the possibility of adding a legit top 6 player for say a 3rd round pick and fringe prospect. Although I agree that Havlat has been extremely injury prone, if it gets Dupuis off the top 2 lines even for just 40 games IMO it is worth it. I know some might not want to roll the dice with a player such as Halvat, but think of it this way, the worst case scenario would be he gets hurt again and only plays 10 games for the Pens and we gain nothing for a third round pick and cheap although not very skilled player. The best case would be though that Havlat stays healthy all season and gets to showcase his amazing skill level with two of the best playmakers in the league. This is why I'd have to pull the trigger, if you can add a player such as Havlat at a severely discounted rate, in terms of assets to the Pens' future not monetarily, you have to do it. If he gets hurt again all you're really out is the price of his contract but if he stays healthy you can cement yourself as the class of the conference, and more importantly you make your team one of if not the most talented and dangerous teams in the league.
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:30 pm

Havlat is a fantastic player for the 30 or so games a season that you're sure to have him in the lineup and in good health. Maybe they could deal for him and then let UPMC try to run some kind of bionic man program on him.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins